Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Vigolix, a super easy mini cab on 1 sheet of 2X4 plywood  (Read 92955 times)

mann0mann

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 25, 2016, 12:31:54 pm
  • Still looking for the right project...
    • My Hobby Store
Re: Vigolix, a super easy mini cab on 1 sheet of 2X4 plywood
« Reply #120 on: August 27, 2013, 03:29:41 am »
Thank you for all the detailed feedback. 

I mocked up a 72" cut high version (final 6" less) and it did end up feeling a tad bit short for me standing up, but it felt pretty close on a stool.

I drew up plans based on:

24" deep
78" tall
24" wide

and I think you could cut the entire cabinet from a 4x8 sheet and have more than enough left over to do anything extra like.

I just recently got a tabletop cocktail unit with the JAMMA 60-in-1 and now I'm just rethinking everything.  That 60-in-1 really sucks.  With the 4-way/8-way issue and there is really only like 10 decent games on that whole board and half you have to give up depending on the joystick you choose.

I don't want to derail this thread, but I'm not sure what to do.  Want to build something but have no idea based on what.  ArcadeSD is so pricey, MAME seems intimidating to me and alot of work.  IDK

Thanks again for all the advice and feedback though!  Really appreciate it.

Locke141

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 03, 2024, 06:00:00 am
  • Never grow up.
« Reply #121 on: July 27, 2014, 10:24:13 am »
I just wanted to share my build inspired by this project.

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,140348.0.html
« Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 09:30:19 am by DeLuSioNal29 »

mcseforsale

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 18, 2023, 08:49:34 am
  • Creepy Mario Dude
« Reply #122 on: July 27, 2014, 10:45:44 am »
Hmmm....I just realized that I have a brandy new 15" monitor laying around staring at me.  I was gonna build a juke outta it but this look like it's a better fit.  Maybe a dedicated vertical cab as stated above.

:applaud:  and cheap too!

AJ

Loper

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2020, 07:32:30 pm
« Reply #123 on: February 18, 2015, 07:17:44 pm »
(Really not sure if this is the place to post for sure but it seemed appropriate to me at the time of this writing.)I am new to the forum, and had first heard about it after seeing this project and wanted to build one of my own. After about a year of planning and scraping one idea after another I decided that this design was in fact the way to go. My limitations are mostly living space, as I only have a small section of home office to put a cab and the Vigolix design fits the bill, and corner. But being the dreamer I am, I wanted to see how far I can push the design while staying true to the original plans. Just how much cool stuff can I fit in this cab? Well I loaded up SketchUp and decided to find out. At this point I would say my design is 80-90% done and I cannot wait to get started. It is going to take some time to save up for it and I will more than likely be working on it for over a year and dropping around $1,000 into it, but I would like to introduce the Noir-Cade (I'm still open for a better name.)

It is going to run on an AMD A10-7850K APU and eventually the GTX 750 ti that is currently in my main PC when I upgrade the GPU on that. It's going to be cooled by a Corsair H100i and I would like to fit a Logitech LS21 in if possible, gotta have a little bass. The joystick, trackball and 14 buttons are going to be RGB LED connected to a Howler controller. It's a bit ambitious, but I hope to get it done they way I plan. Once I have enough parts to get the build truly started I will start a thread for the build with updates on progress.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2015, 07:18:33 pm by Loper »

SMEAR_FLA

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 13, 2016, 08:58:57 pm
« Reply #124 on: February 18, 2015, 07:48:58 pm »
Thank you for all the detailed feedback. 

I mocked up a 72" cut high version (final 6" less) and it did end up feeling a tad bit short for me standing up, but it felt pretty close on a stool.

I drew up plans based on:

24" deep
78" tall
24" wide

and I think you could cut the entire cabinet from a 4x8 sheet and have more than enough left over to do anything extra like.

I just recently got a tabletop cocktail unit with the JAMMA 60-in-1 and now I'm just rethinking everything.  That 60-in-1 really sucks.  With the 4-way/8-way issue and there is really only like 10 decent games on that whole board and half you have to give up depending on the joystick you choose.

I don't want to derail this thread, but I'm not sure what to do.  Want to build something but have no idea based on what.  ArcadeSD is so pricey, MAME seems intimidating to me and alot of work.  IDK

Thanks again for all the advice and feedback though!  Really appreciate it.

I've managed to get this far on one piece of 4' x 8' MDF. I'm going to have to pick up an additional piece of wood to create a monitor mount and to close off the back, but I will have plenty for the marquee mount and shelf surface for the bottom inside. Also note, my build is 32" wide and about 72" tall so if you're planning on going 24" wide, one 4 x 8 piece should be plenty.

« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 08:03:54 pm by SMEAR_FLA »

Vigo

• the Scourage of Carpathia
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 21, 2024, 08:20:28 am
« Reply #125 on: February 26, 2015, 01:38:59 am »
(Really not sure if this is the place to post for sure but it seemed appropriate to me at the time of this writing.)I am new to the forum, and had first heard about it after seeing this project and wanted to build one of my own. After about a year of planning and scraping one idea after another I decided that this design was in fact the way to go. My limitations are mostly living space, as I only have a small section of home office to put a cab and the Vigolix design fits the bill, and corner. But being the dreamer I am, I wanted to see how far I can push the design while staying true to the original plans. Just how much cool stuff can I fit in this cab? Well I loaded up SketchUp and decided to find out. At this point I would say my design is 80-90% done and I cannot wait to get started. It is going to take some time to save up for it and I will more than likely be working on it for over a year and dropping around $1,000 into it, but I would like to introduce the Noir-Cade (I'm still open for a better name.)

It is going to run on an AMD A10-7850K APU and eventually the GTX 750 ti that is currently in my main PC when I upgrade the GPU on that. It's going to be cooled by a Corsair H100i and I would like to fit a Logitech LS21 in if possible, gotta have a little bass. The joystick, trackball and 14 buttons are going to be RGB LED connected to a Howler controller. It's a bit ambitious, but I hope to get it done they way I plan. Once I have enough parts to get the build truly started I will start a thread for the build with updates on progress.

Hey Loper! Thanks for the post. Sorry for the lack of reply, but I couldn't figure out the images right away. I am reposting them below, as long as you don't mind. Pretty slick! Is that gonna be plexi glass in the front?  8) My only question of concern is on the control panel. Simply that you have an 8 button layout but all the buttons are straight. Usually the left most column is lowered down so it is easier for the thumb to use that button.  I also am guessing there will be a marquee area on top? Other than that, I think this is gonna look really great.  :cheers:

Loper

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2020, 07:32:30 pm
« Reply #126 on: April 02, 2015, 10:47:58 pm »
Sorry my reply is so late. Life happened. Yes the front will be plexi, but it was not yet added to the sketchup model in these images, and as far as the straight button layout, that is a concept i want to try for a couple of reasons, I will rarely use all 8 at the same time, and when I do it will likely be things like final fantasy 7 and 8, so when it comes to things like neo geo, i want to try the top right 3 with one on the bottom row for the 4th. and i also want to see how the top row plus the one in the bottom row that is centered under those works with asteroids. I would post updated images but i am not sure how to get the images to post.

danny_galaga

• Grand high prophet of the holy noodle.
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 09:21:49 pm
  • because the mail never stops
    • dans cocktail lounge
« Reply #127 on: April 04, 2015, 05:16:32 am »

Late to this thread, but nice work Vigo on the minimalist approach. I like minimalist, which is why I've nearly finished building  cab with about 6 different sheets of MDF…

Hey, I'm a whiskey priest.

ROUGHING UP THE SUSPECT SINCE 1981

DeLuSioNal29

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 20, 2023, 11:39:06 pm
  • Build the impossible -"There is no Spoon"
    • DeLuSioNaL's YouTube Videos
« Reply #128 on: April 04, 2015, 09:53:02 pm »
Pics or it didn't happen!
Stop by my Youtube channel and leave a comment:

Vigo

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #129 on: April 07, 2015, 04:53:52 pm »

Late to this thread, but nice work Vigo on the minimalist approach. I like minimalist, which is why I've nearly finished building  cab with about 6 different sheets of MDF…

Hey, I'm a whiskey priest.

Thanks, Danny!   :cheers:   :lol

Vigo

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #130 on: April 07, 2015, 04:57:08 pm »
Sorry my reply is so late. Life happened. Yes the front will be plexi, but it was not yet added to the sketchup model in these images, and as far as the straight button layout, that is a concept i want to try for a couple of reasons, I will rarely use all 8 at the same time, and when I do it will likely be things like final fantasy 7 and 8, so when it comes to things like neo geo, i want to try the top right 3 with one on the bottom row for the 4th. and i also want to see how the top row plus the one in the bottom row that is centered under those works with asteroids. I would post updated images but i am not sure how to get the images to post.

Gotcha! That makes sense! I'll be interested to see how using Neo Geo with that layout works for you.

To attach pictures, There is an + button under the post text box that says "Attachments and other options" click that, then click the "Choose File" button and find your picture. To do more, click the "More attachments" button.  8)

MoldyFed208

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 27, 2015, 11:55:54 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #131 on: May 27, 2015, 11:55:54 pm »
Can you make one for me please I'm a high functioning autistic girl and I'm seem to like arcade games many of them. ???

Vigo

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #132 on: May 28, 2015, 11:56:50 am »
Hello! Thanks for your interest.  :)

I am not currently building any vigolix cabs, but there are plenty of people on this site who do make arcade cabinets. You should post a request at the buy/sell/trade board and there should be someone able to help you out.

kangarolf

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 08, 2016, 01:37:20 am
« Reply #133 on: September 09, 2015, 06:58:45 am »
Hey all,

I have drawn up to scale plans for a single sheet 8 by 4 (2400 by 1200 for us in the UK!). This is based on measurements I took from my Naomi standup cab..I have indicated the position of the control panel and the screen.

The front panels are set to 800mm wide which is enough room for a 32 inch TV in horizontal mode. It retains the same angle as the original so should be just as stable.

On the naomi the control panel is 960mm high and the overall cabinet is 1760mm high (without marquee) and 740mm wide.

Cheers

MoebiusStreet

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 02, 2019, 07:40:40 pm
« Reply #134 on: February 02, 2019, 07:39:03 pm »
I've just completed my own Vigolix-inspired cabinet, but scaled up to 6'.

Here are some more pics, with the rear view and some of the build process.
https://imgur.com/gallery/KpoHLDu

Thanks for the inspiration!

DeLuSioNal29

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 20, 2023, 11:39:06 pm
  • Build the impossible -"There is no Spoon"
    • DeLuSioNaL's YouTube Videos
« Reply #135 on: February 02, 2019, 10:23:22 pm »
Nice!  Looks good. Have you considered adding a matching Tankstick overlay to give it a more custom look?

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Stop by my Youtube channel and leave a comment:

abispac

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 01:01:09 pm
« Reply #136 on: October 22, 2022, 01:44:17 am »
I apologise for reviving this old topic, but i wanted to share my cab progress inspired on this wonderfull dream arcade. Hoping to inspire future generations.
Thanks for this great idea.
Mine is gonna be a mini 2 players, kof vs street fighters themed.
I used some kind of edge finishing instead of tmolding and im pleased with the results. tomorrow i should get the paint and the glass and should be done.