Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Can't get GroovyArcade to work in a KVM virtual machine  (Read 1311 times)

toynbeeidea

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 29, 2019, 05:30:40 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Can't get GroovyArcade to work in a KVM virtual machine
« on: January 29, 2019, 02:29:31 pm »
I'm looking into switching my ancient Windows XP-based MAME cab over to something more modern, so I wanted to play with GroovyArcade a bit, but...

I have set up a new machine in virt-manager, and attached the live CD (the most current 2018 version) and a blank HD image.  I get as far as the setup menus in the live CD, but when I actually attempt to actually start the front end, I get a black screen, and can get no further.  I'm guessing it has to do with my monitor selection, but it doesn't seem to matter which monitor I choose, the results are the same - black screen.

Any advice?
« Last Edit: January 29, 2019, 02:34:58 pm by toynbeeidea »

keilmillerjr

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 06, 2023, 10:20:39 pm
  • Web Developer.
Re: Can't get GroovyArcade to work in a KVM virtual machine
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2019, 06:18:09 pm »
I am using the 2018 groovy arcade with virtual box from my Mac, and select LCD from the boot menu. No issues. Virtual box is free. Perhaps try that?

newmanfamilyvlogs

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 15, 2022, 05:20:38 pm
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,103584.msg1096585.html#msg1096585
    • Newman Family Vlogs
Re: Can't get GroovyArcade to work in a KVM virtual machine
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2019, 09:18:02 am »
Are you attempting to do PCI passthrough for GPU in the KVM machine?