Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: At A Loss: Tapper for v .149  (Read 4700 times)

Pacmaniac

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 23, 2021, 04:14:53 pm
  • Beginning Builder
At A Loss: Tapper for v .149
« on: January 27, 2019, 11:45:12 pm »
So, I'm hoping someone here might be able to help me. I've been working through the process of setting up the software for my new cabinet, and I'm stuck on exactly what to do with Tapper.

I'm running .149, and downloaded both tapper.zip and tappera.zip, as well as midssio.zip, and MAME is still kicking out an error that I'm missing a file. Right now, I have the contents of all of the above sitting in a 'tapper' folder inside my ROM directory. I know there's a Rootbeer Tapper file and a Sunstory Tapper file out there. Is there something I'm missing in trying to get these to work?

Any help would be appreciated.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 08:58:46 am
  • Designated spam hunter
Re: At A Loss: Tapper for v .149
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2019, 12:51:48 am »
I'm running .149, and downloaded both tapper.zip and tappera.zip, as well as midssio.zip, and MAME is still kicking out an error that I'm missing a file. Right now, I have the contents of all of the above sitting in a 'tapper' folder inside my ROM directory.
1. Why do you have the files in a 'tapper' sub-directory?
- The .zip files should be in the 'roms' directory with all the other ROMs.
- Sub-directories are for games that need a CHD file such as Killer Instinct (kinst) or Simpsons Bowling. (simpbowl)

2. If moving the files doesn't work, are you sure you downloaded a 0.149-compatible version?

Here are the filenames, sizes and CRCs from my 0.152 set -- they should be the same as your 0.149 set.

Tapper.zip (parent ROM) 18 files
-----------
tappg0.bin          0016384  127171d1
tappg1.bin          0016384  9d6a47f7
tappg2.bin          0016384  3a1f8778
tappg3.bin          0008192  e8dcdaa4
tapsnda7.bin        0004096  0e8bb9d5
tapsnda8.bin        0004096  0cf0e29b
tapsnda9.bin        0004096  31eb6dc6
tapsda10.bin        0004096  01a9be6a
tapbg1.bin          0016384  2a30238c
tapbg0.bin          0016384  394ab576
tapfg1.bin          0016384  32509011
tapfg0.bin          0016384  8412c808
tapfg3.bin          0016384  818fffd4
tapfg2.bin          0016384  67e37690
tapfg5.bin          0016384  800f7c8a
tapfg4.bin          0016384  32674ee6
tapfg7.bin          0016384  070b4c81
tapfg6.bin          0016384  a37aef36

midssio.zip (sound) 1 file
------------
82s123.12d          0000032  e1281ee9

Scott

ark_ader

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2019, 07:35:34 pm
  • I glow in the dark.
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2019, 04:34:00 am »
So, I'm hoping someone here might be able to help me. I've been working through the process of setting up the software for my new cabinet, and I'm stuck on exactly what to do with Tapper.

I'm running .149, and downloaded both tapper.zip and tappera.zip, as well as midssio.zip, and MAME is still kicking out an error that I'm missing a file. Right now, I have the contents of all of the above sitting in a 'tapper' folder inside my ROM directory. I know there's a Rootbeer Tapper file and a Sunstory Tapper file out there. Is there something I'm missing in trying to get these to work?

Any help would be appreciated.

How about buying a tapper arcade machine and try that.  Seriously.

I didn't know that BYOAC was mame support.   ::)

Can I get clarification from PL1 who is a moderator please? 

If I had only one wish, it would be for three more wishes.

Pacmaniac

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 23, 2021, 04:14:53 pm
  • Beginning Builder
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2019, 08:05:35 am »
I'm running .149, and downloaded both tapper.zip and tappera.zip, as well as midssio.zip, and MAME is still kicking out an error that I'm missing a file. Right now, I have the contents of all of the above sitting in a 'tapper' folder inside my ROM directory.
1. Why do you have the files in a 'tapper' sub-directory?
- The .zip files should be in the 'roms' directory with all the other ROMs.
- Sub-directories are for games that need a CHD file such as Killer Instinct (kinst) or Simpsons Bowling. (simpbowl)

2. If moving the files doesn't work, are you sure you downloaded a 0.149-compatible version?

Here are the filenames, sizes and CRCs from my 0.152 set -- they should be the same as your 0.149 set.

Tapper.zip (parent ROM) 18 files
-----------
tappg0.bin          0016384  127171d1
tappg1.bin          0016384  9d6a47f7
tappg2.bin          0016384  3a1f8778
tappg3.bin          0008192  e8dcdaa4
tapsnda7.bin        0004096  0e8bb9d5
tapsnda8.bin        0004096  0cf0e29b
tapsnda9.bin        0004096  31eb6dc6
tapsda10.bin        0004096  01a9be6a
tapbg1.bin          0016384  2a30238c
tapbg0.bin          0016384  394ab576
tapfg1.bin          0016384  32509011
tapfg0.bin          0016384  8412c808
tapfg3.bin          0016384  818fffd4
tapfg2.bin          0016384  67e37690
tapfg5.bin          0016384  800f7c8a
tapfg4.bin          0016384  32674ee6
tapfg7.bin          0016384  070b4c81
tapfg6.bin          0016384  a37aef36

midssio.zip (sound) 1 file
------------
82s123.12d          0000032  e1281ee9

Scott

Thanks Scott, I appreciate it. The shortest possible answer I can come up with to 'Why did you....?' is, well, I got a C in the only CompSci class I ever took in college :)

I'll check this out when I get home. I grabbed the zip files for version .149, so I feel relatively confident that they're the right ones. Or, at least, as confident as I can be. Seems like it might be a matter of how I had things structured in the directory as much as anything.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2019, 04:39:26 pm by PL1 »

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 19, 2024, 06:19:27 pm
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2019, 09:01:03 am »

How about buying a tapper arcade machine and try that.  Seriously.

I didn't know that BYOAC was mame support.   ::)

:laugh2:

:tool:

yamatetsu

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:14:38 pm
  • Just because.
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2019, 09:20:26 am »
Congrats, ark_ader, you are the third person to make it on my 'ignore this user' list.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2019, 10:19:45 am »
Not sure why you would be confused about that, but here are two ways how to find that info:

1. At the top of the page, click on "members -- search for members"
- In the text box, type "moderator" (for global mods) or "supreme chancellor" (for admins)
- Check only the "search by position" box
- Click on search

2. Sub-forum-specific moderators are named on the forum index page.

Scott

ark_ader

• Offline Offline
  • I glow in the dark.
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2019, 04:14:49 pm »
Not sure why you would be confused about that, but here are two ways how to find that info:

1. At the top of the page, click on "members -- search for members"
- In the text box, type "moderator" (for global mods) or "supreme chancellor" (for admins)
- Check only the "search by position" box
- Click on search

2. Sub-forum-specific moderators are named on the forum index page.

Scott

You read it wrong or I forgot the M.  So rule 5 is not in effect? OK.
Congrats, ark_ader, you are the third person to make it on my 'ignore this user' list.

I guess the other two had the same issue with you as I have.  If I had issues with MAME I contact MameWorld or Mame devs directly, but if you download roms that you do not own, why should you get help for it.  This is a very serious question that I would like answering.  Why is this such a problem with such negative responses?

leapinlew

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2019, 04:50:06 pm »
If I had issues with MAME I contact MameWorld or Mame devs directly, but if you download roms that you do not own, why should you get help for it.  This is a very serious question that I would like answering.  Why is this such a problem with such negative responses?

It's not serious. Or, if it is serious, you are seriously inconsistent. Check this out:

Im running retro-pie on Linux and I have the mouse working in mame 2003 and 2010 but the issue is the when I move the mouse to the right or left it stops like it hits a wall.  I have to move the mouse back in the other direction to get it to move again.  I was thinking it was the trackball but the mouse it self does the exact same thing. In World Class Bowling under the service menu I can see the controls and watch the track ball move then stop and not go any further in that direction.  Any Ideas?

Have you calibrated it in Mame?  Dial and Analogue?
The guy asks a question about Mame and retropi and look at that. There you are helping him.

I already told you where to start. I don’t know why you continue to go on.

Purchased a VGA GERT666 GPIO to VGA adapter and on it's way...

I can't test it yet again I'm using this on Rapsberry Pi 3b+, someone mentioned that the drivers are already present etc. Also to note I've seen this posted within the instructions which is confusing to me as to this, do I just cut and paste this into the config.txt file:

Technology Support:
Edit /boot/config.txt file with vim.tiny or other editor. and modify as following:
framebuffer_width=800
gpu_mem=128
Note: Please disable the functions of all the GPIO Pins so that it can work properly, 800x600
resolution is highly recommended as higher resolution will slow down your Pi and cost more
RAM Is this just overriding the HDMI the way this is setup ? I want obviously both HDMI out to VGA and GPIO to VGA in order for it to display on both monitors

Next step would be setting up MAME/RetroArch.

What exactly do I need to modify no ones given me definitive instructions within this entire thread on how to do so. Also have not gotten a response to will this setup work in conjunction with MAME Libretro 2003 .78 or Do I need to use MAME .159 aka Libretro 2014 / RetroArch/ if so what needs to be changed within the parameters of the .ini / config files... yet still not one person posted that.

I simply need to know where the "file / config / ini" for MAME what version I need to use for it to work, what needs to be modified for this to work, I'm only using this for the Dual Screen Games and NO other games will be present on the machine. I have access to WinSCP / can connect and modify the .txt / .ini files via notepad++ overwifi / network. I can't modify anything IF i don't know exactly what I need to modify to get this working.

As I understand it the GPIO-VGA maxes out at 800x600, which you would have to reduce the HDMI memory on the PI, but in reality you would want 320x240 resolution for the above punch out display.

Make sure you get a 5v 2.5a power supply.  Let us know how you get on.
He's also asking about Pi and you are helping him out.

You're right! This is serious!!! Those questions belong on the various Raspberry Pi forums out there and not here. This isn't Raspberry Pi support.

Admin it. Again, you're wrong.

Osirus23

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 23, 2021, 01:33:52 pm
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2019, 05:01:48 pm »
You read it wrong or I forgot the M.  So rule 5 is not in effect? OK.

So where exactly did he ask for a ROM or where to download one?

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2019, 06:17:46 pm »
So rule 5 is not in effect?
Our best understanding of Saint's intent behind Rule 5 is always in effect, but there is nothing in this thread that even comes close to triggering it.

- OP did not request ROMs.
-- Nobody told him, or even hinted, where to fnd them.

- My reply contained nothing but fully legal configuration info and non-copyrighted file info.  i.e. where to put the ROMs, filenames, sizes and CRCs.

Yeah . . . good luck convincing Saint to re-define Rule 5 as preventing discussion of how to configure MAME.   ::)

I'm sure the rest of the BYOAC mod and admin team is as eager as I am to scrub all of that content out of the over 1.63 million posts on the site.   >:D   :P

Scott

ark_ader

• Offline Offline
  • I glow in the dark.
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2019, 07:13:58 pm »
If I had issues with MAME I contact MameWorld or Mame devs directly, but if you download roms that you do not own, why should you get help for it.  This is a very serious question that I would like answering.  Why is this such a problem with such negative responses?

It's not serious. Or, if it is serious, you are seriously inconsistent. Check this out:

Im running retro-pie on Linux and I have the mouse working in mame 2003 and 2010 but the issue is the when I move the mouse to the right or left it stops like it hits a wall.  I have to move the mouse back in the other direction to get it to move again.  I was thinking it was the trackball but the mouse it self does the exact same thing. In World Class Bowling under the service menu I can see the controls and watch the track ball move then stop and not go any further in that direction.  Any Ideas?

Have you calibrated it in Mame?  Dial and Analogue?
The guy asks a question about Mame and retropi and look at that. There you are helping him.

I already told you where to start. I don’t know why you continue to go on.

Purchased a VGA GERT666 GPIO to VGA adapter and on it's way...

I can't test it yet again I'm using this on Rapsberry Pi 3b+, someone mentioned that the drivers are already present etc. Also to note I've seen this posted within the instructions which is confusing to me as to this, do I just cut and paste this into the config.txt file:

Technology Support:
Edit /boot/config.txt file with vim.tiny or other editor. and modify as following:
framebuffer_width=800
gpu_mem=128
Note: Please disable the functions of all the GPIO Pins so that it can work properly, 800x600
resolution is highly recommended as higher resolution will slow down your Pi and cost more
RAM Is this just overriding the HDMI the way this is setup ? I want obviously both HDMI out to VGA and GPIO to VGA in order for it to display on both monitors

Next step would be setting up MAME/RetroArch.

What exactly do I need to modify no ones given me definitive instructions within this entire thread on how to do so. Also have not gotten a response to will this setup work in conjunction with MAME Libretro 2003 .78 or Do I need to use MAME .159 aka Libretro 2014 / RetroArch/ if so what needs to be changed within the parameters of the .ini / config files... yet still not one person posted that.

I simply need to know where the "file / config / ini" for MAME what version I need to use for it to work, what needs to be modified for this to work, I'm only using this for the Dual Screen Games and NO other games will be present on the machine. I have access to WinSCP / can connect and modify the .txt / .ini files via notepad++ overwifi / network. I can't modify anything IF i don't know exactly what I need to modify to get this working.

As I understand it the GPIO-VGA maxes out at 800x600, which you would have to reduce the HDMI memory on the PI, but in reality you would want 320x240 resolution for the above punch out display.

Make sure you get a 5v 2.5a power supply.  Let us know how you get on.
He's also asking about Pi and you are helping him out.

You're right! This is serious!!! Those questions belong on the various Raspberry Pi forums out there and not here. This isn't Raspberry Pi support.

Admin it. Again, you're wrong.

I'm helping them with external software (emulators) or configurations specific to said emulators.  I am not helping him to enable roms that he downloaded and is not working.  Also there is a software sub forum that answers these types of questions, especially if he owned the boards where the roms came from.  I enjoy helping others with retro gaming questions, I object to blatant conversations where roms downloaded (his comment) and is not working in said emulator.  Downloaded from where?  Does he own the boards relating to the roms he downloaded?  I take it that Rule 5 means Nothing Illegal.  Is downloading roms that you do not own legal?  After 20 years of rom access, it is a fair point, to ask when enough is enough.  Am I wrong to ask that?

So rule 5 is not in effect?
Our best understanding of Saint's intent behind Rule 5 is always in effect, but there is nothing in this thread that even comes close to triggering it.

- OP did not request ROMs.
-- Nobody told him, or even hinted, where to find them.

- My reply contained nothing but fully legal configuration info and non-copyrighted file info.  i.e. where to put the ROMs, filenames, sizes and CRCs.

Yeah . . . good luck convincing Saint to re-define Rule 5 as preventing discussion of how to configure MAME.   ::)

I'm sure the rest of the BYOAC mod and admin team is as eager as I am to scrub all of that content out of the over 1.63 million posts on the site.   >:D   :P

Scott

That makes sense if we are talking emulation configuration as of above, I am all for it.  The issue is not configuring MAME is it?  Its about getting his downloaded roms to work.  Tell me how that is the same?   :dunno

I don't want to convince Saint into anything, it is not my place to do so.  You post the same question the OP did to the original mamedevs on mame.org and you will get no answer.  As it should be.

leapinlew

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2019, 07:18:32 pm »
Am I wrong to ask that?

Yeah. Just don't reply. No one cares.

I get it though. You're worried someone is going to trace his download UPC code and add him to the federal database being built and eventually imprisoned

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2024, 11:03:32 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2019, 07:30:55 pm »
Am I wrong to ask that?

I get it though. You're worried someone is going to trace his download UPC code and add him to the federal database being built and eventually imprisoned

***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2024, 11:03:32 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2019, 07:32:12 pm »
99.9% of people configuring MAME downloaded their ROMS from somewhere (if they didn’t buy a preconfigured drive)
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

ark_ader

• Offline Offline
  • I glow in the dark.
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2019, 07:43:46 pm »
Am I wrong to ask that?

I would expect a comment like that coming from the local trolls.  It is unfortunate to see someone like you, who is intelligent, commenting and degrading yourself like that....so sad.

There is a federal database tracking you right now LL. It's been in place for the past 10 years or so, and one before that too.  Unfortunately its tracking all of us....

No one cares huh?

saint

• turned to the Dark Side
  • Supreme Chancellor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 17, 2024, 07:49:54 am
  • I only work in cyberspace...
    • Build Your Own Arcade Controls
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2019, 07:33:07 am »
5. Nothing illegal! Do I even need to explain this one? Need a ROM to repair an arcade board you own? Fine to talk about. Need a ROM to complete your MAME collection? Don't bother to post here. If someone posts such a request, please don't answer it -- no direct answers, no hints, no private messages.

Rule 5 is my non-lawyer-understanding of what is best for the forum and its users in terms of the law. It is not a moral position. Everyone is free to find their own moral ground. I have my own moral code I follow, but I do not usually discuss it publicly nor try to force it upon anyone.

Discussion about how to use a ROM is allowed under rule 5. Discussion about where to get a ROM is not, with the caveat about legally distributed ROMs released for personal or repair purposes.

PL1 does a remarkable job, particularly in light of how absentee I am these days, in enforcing the rules I wrote for my forum with little guidance from me, and I am extremely grateful that he does so. What you don't see are the numerous first time posts or other posts that he doesn't allow or moderates when someone inadvertently links to a site that distributes ROMs. What you don't see is his routinely gentle but firm reminder to the offending person as to why their post was not allowed or was moderated, informing them of rule 5. Frankly no one has done more on the forum to enforce rule 5 than PL1. He is more strict about it than I am.

So long as ROMs are not being distributed through BYOAC nor are links to sites distributing ROMs posted on BYOAC, I am generally content.

I'm also not going to write a thesis on specifically how rule 5 should and shouldn't be enforced. I'll never cover every circumstance, and for most people the intent seems to be plain.

I'm frankly much more concerned these days about other rules that seem to not be getting much attention. Namely:

1. Be nice to each other. We're serious about this one. Disagree, debate, argue at will - but please be respectful. Messages that are flame-bait, hateful, racist, or otherwise pointlessly antagonistic will likely be sent to post-hell, and repeat offenders banned from posting.

7. If you have a beef with the way something's moderated, don't get into a flame-war over it. The moderators and admins here are volunteers trying to help keep this web site and forums running and in line with the rules here. Everyone's human - we try, but maybe we don't always get it right. Point out your position (that might be a perfect time for a private-message), and if you can't see eye to eye post a message to me (saint) to see if I can help resolve the issue. When all's said and done though, please remember the buck stops on saint's desk. That's not egotism or a power play - it's two points. The first is that if there's a final decision you don't like, it's not the fault of any of the moderators or admins here - it's mine (saint). If you're going to get mad at someone, get mad at me. The rest of the mods and admins don't deserve to have someone take it out on them. The second point is that if we just can't see eye-to-eye on something, please bear in mind that this is my web site and a virtual extension of my home. I'll respect your opinion even if I don't agree with it, but ultimately I do need to ask that you respect the rules as laid out here even if you don't agree with them. I don't think they're particularly unreasonable.

10. Generally annoying behavior. If you're following all the rules but are still managing through conduct or behavior to annoy a significant portion of the BYOAC membership to the point where the forum as a whole suffers, you will first be asked to modify your conduct and then will possibly be banned.

Rule #1 is rule #1 for a reason. For the love of my blood pressure, can we please focus more on talking about the fun and technical aspects of this hobby, and when we disagree, do so in a friendly manner? There are seriously so many awful things happening in this world, I'm boggled how this hobby can ever contribute to a negative atmosphere. I'd be much obliged if it didn't.

I made a commitment 21+ years ago that I'd maintain this site as long as people found it useful, and regardless of my personal investment in the hobby which comes and goes, I intend to keep that commitment as my way of giving back to the online community for all the amazing stuff the Internet has brought to me.

Frankly that commitment is hard to stick to sometimes when there's a shitshow because people can't disagree agreeably. I'm not shutting this place down, I won't do that, but man it's easier sometimes than others to stick to that.

Anyway, rant whine etc,. please remember rule #1 everyone. Thanks! :)

--- John

--- John St.Clair
     Build Your Own Arcade Controls FAQ
     http://www.arcadecontrols.com/
     Project Arcade 2!
     http://www.projectarcade2.com/
     saint@arcadecontrols.com

Sky25es

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 26, 2023, 05:19:21 pm
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2019, 04:12:38 pm »
Anyway, rant whine etc,. please remember rule #1 everyone. Thanks! :)

--- John

Amen to that...  :cheers:

Mr. Peabody

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 05, 2019, 02:30:42 pm
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2019, 02:25:21 pm »
When Saint cusses, you know it's serious.