Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: A few questions about getting started (Multiple GPUs, Extron rxi)  (Read 2463 times)

Demilich

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 03, 2019, 01:49:22 pm
Hey guys, so I've finally gotten my hands on a professional grade CRT, and want to get some of that beautiful GroovyMAME action going. The monitor is an Ikegami TM2017R, and I found a cheap a Radeon R9 350X to use for my GPU. One thing I'm concerned about is that my W10 PC already has a gtx 1060 6gb installed, and I'm hoping that I can keep it in there for more demanding games on my LCD monitor. Would I need a dual boot setup for this?

Other than that, I'm just trying to make sure that I'm ordering all the right hardware components to get this working as nicely as possible. This is what it should look like once everything gets here in the mail:

R9 350X > DVI-I to VGA adapter > VGA cable > Extron RGB 201rxi > 5BNC cable > Monitor 

Any possible caveats to this setup that I should be thinking about? And are the cables linked below the correct BNC cables for going from the Extron to the monitor? I was watching a Youtube video of someone using a similar Extron and a BVM, and it looked like there was only a single sync cable coming out of the Extron / into the monitor instead of two like the cables below, but he said they were 5BNC cables so I'm a little confused about that.   
https://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-100091-6-Feet-Video-Cable/dp/B001UJERZE/ref=sr_1_6?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1548637275&sr=1-6&keywords=5bnc+cables   

My sincerest thanks for any wisdom you guys can provide, as I start out on what is sure to be a long journey to get this working nicely.

philexile

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 30, 2022, 03:45:01 pm
  • I want to build my a GroovyMame PC!
Re: A few questions about getting started (Multiple GPUs, Extron rxi)
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2019, 12:45:13 am »
The Extron RXI will convert the RGBHV signal to RGBS on the fly. I use the 203rxi myself and it works great. Good luck!

Paradroid

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 10, 2024, 04:41:43 am
    • SCART Hunter
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2019, 02:30:50 pm »
The Extron RXI will convert the RGBHV signal to RGBS on the fly.

Which means you'll only need a 4 BNC setup. :)

When it comes to calibrating your monitor specs, make sure you turn of the horizontal and vertical centering functionality of the Extron or you'll be forever chasing your tail.

Turn that stuff back on once your GM is calibrated and you want to introduce hardware (i.e. consoles) that require manual centering.
My MAME/SCART/CRT blog: SCART Hunter

Demilich

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2019, 03:17:19 pm »

Thanks. So does that mean that a 5BNC cable won't work?

Paradroid

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 10, 2024, 04:41:43 am
    • SCART Hunter
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2019, 05:22:33 pm »
So does that mean that a 5BNC cable won't work?

No. You'll just have a spare BNC. ;)
My MAME/SCART/CRT blog: SCART Hunter

buttersoft

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 22, 2024, 12:55:20 am
  • Is running at 15kHz
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2019, 07:16:44 pm »
In theory there's no issue installing both an Nvidia GPU + driver and a separate AMD GPU + driver, but i'm not sure we've had reports of anyone actually doing it with crt_emudriver. Would be nice to know if it works seamlessly, or if you get any hiccups :)

Demilich

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2019, 08:58:25 pm »
In theory there's no issue installing both an Nvidia GPU + driver and a separate AMD GPU + driver, but i'm not sure we've had reports of anyone actually doing it with crt_emudriver. Would be nice to know if it works seamlessly, or if you get any hiccups :)

I will definitely let you all know how it goes! I'm super excited to get started on the project. I've been looking through tons of guides but I'm still not sure how crt_emudriver actually works, does it just act as a replacement for the ATI drivers, and theoretically not have any effect on my ability to output a "normal" video signal using the Nvidia card and drivers? Would a fresh Windows 10 install prior to getting started help to reduce possible issues?   

Edit: I should maybe add that I have no real need to use both monitors at the same time, except maybe to use the LCD for audio. Not sure if that changes anything.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2019, 09:49:26 pm by Demilich »

buttersoft

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 22, 2024, 12:55:20 am
  • Is running at 15kHz
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2019, 05:33:33 pm »
...does it just act as a replacement for the ATI drivers, and theoretically not have any effect on my ability to output a "normal" video signal using the Nvidia card and drivers?

Treating that as two questions: yes, crt_emudriver is a video driver you install instead of the normal AMD drivers. And yes, in theory it won't interfere. In practice, i would guess you're going to have an interesting time sorting out which resolutions are allowed on which screen.

Would a fresh Windows 10 install prior to getting started help to reduce possible issues?   

For sure. Anything you can do to minimise confusion the first time round is going to be a godsend.

digitron

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 01, 2022, 12:46:33 pm
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2019, 05:45:50 pm »

When it comes to calibrating your monitor specs, make sure you turn of the horizontal and vertical centering functionality of the Extron or you'll be forever chasing your tail.

Turn that stuff back on once your GM is calibrated and you want to introduce hardware (i.e. consoles) that require manual centering.

Can you walk me through the exact setup here? So I can't go directly from DVI-I to PVM (vga to bnc)? I'll need a sync-combiner or sorts? Better to get the Extron 203? Will I be able to run at 31khz with the Extron?

Connecting to a PVM-14L5

Thanks
GM 224, Win7 64 Bit, i5-2400 @ 3.1Ghz, ATI HD 5750, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD

Demilich

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2019, 05:57:42 pm »

Can you walk me through the exact setup here? So I can't go directly from DVI-I to PVM (vga to bnc)? I'll need a sync-combiner or sorts? Better to get the Extron 203? Will I be able to run at 31khz with the Extron?

Connecting to a PVM-14L5

Thanks

You shouldn't need to buy an extron, because vmmaker now has the option to output csync. Just enable that and you should be good to go with a VGA to BNC adapter afaik. I'm far from an expert though, so you might want to look into it further. This guide has more info about it: https://www.aussiearcade.com/archive/index.php/t-87668.html

digitron

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 01, 2022, 12:46:33 pm
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2019, 06:03:18 pm »
Thanks Demilich! Wish I found that guide 5 days ago, lol. I'll read it word for word. Appreciate it. :)
GM 224, Win7 64 Bit, i5-2400 @ 3.1Ghz, ATI HD 5750, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD