Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Anybody collect Transformers?  (Read 4844 times)

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 15, 2024, 10:59:21 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
Anybody collect Transformers?
« on: January 26, 2019, 12:10:47 am »
Ok so apologies to the uninitiated as all of this is going to sound like random techno-babble. 

Still trying to find a good stress-reliever.  When I was a kid I really liked doing model kits and dioramas and such and I randomly stumbled upon the voyager down-scaled version of Masterpiece Optimus Prime  (MP-10V).  A thought came into my head to maybe do some dioramas of scenes from various g1 cartoons and media, using the figures as a start.  I had initially thought of using MP-10V, but discovered that there really isn't a good voyager scale  g1 megatron.  Then I started going down the KO (knock-off) rabbit hole and I'm more confused than when I started.  I'm not going to buy official Hasbro/Takara stuff because quite frankly the KOs fix a lot of issues with the toys, they are much cheaper, and they offer figures that the official guys haven't even gotten around to yet. 

So I set out to use the standard masterpiece scale and go from there.  I'm just confused.  All the ebay stores seem to want to sell MP-10v or MPP-10 (over-sized optimus).  The prices for seeminly the same figure seem to vary wildly as well.  Searching on ebay and amazon seems to be hard as well because the sellers rarely seem to go by the KOs official name and use the Hasbro name instead.  So you know it's a KO, but not which KO.  So I guess what I'm asking is for some general help.  Is there a site that has a database of all the unofficial toys and where to buy them?  Anybody know of a good seller?  Keep in mind I'm wanting to keep the cost low...  40-60 bucks for the average figure or less would be about right. 

If it helps I really like the IT-01 Megatron and I'm still looking for a good mp10...... not a fan of the newer figures coming out that are a little too cartoon accurate. 

Mr. Peabody

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 05, 2019, 02:30:42 pm
Re: Anybody collect Transformers?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2019, 03:20:45 pm »
I have my original toys in a box. What cartoon(s) are you referring to?

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2019, 02:17:21 am »
The G1 cartoon and film mainly and maybe a little of the Japanese continuation (Headmasters) and the Marvel comics available at the time.  Long story short, G1 aesthetics.

ark_ader

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2019, 07:35:34 pm
  • I glow in the dark.
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2019, 04:59:11 am »
I do actually.  I have a step up and two step down transformers.  They are special as they are from 1976, and can make a mess of your house if they are plugged in.
If I had only one wish, it would be for three more wishes.

Osirus23

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 23, 2021, 01:33:52 pm
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2019, 11:40:20 am »
I should still have a bunch from the mid-80s stashed away somewhere, probably in a shed at my parents' house. I haven't seen them in many years though. I used the crap out of them as a kid so they're all likely in well-used condition with missing pieces, etc.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2019, 09:49:33 pm »
I picked up the 1985 re-issue of Hot Rod from Walmart last week for 5 bucks in the discount isle.  I've got a feeling that all the re-issues are going there due to the way they are displaying them.  They finally got the re-issue of Optimus in stock but at $50 with 1980's engineering, they had it sitting right beside the new Siege Optimus, who's robot mode looks much more like the cartoon, is larger and is only $30.  So yeah, unless they are blinded by nostalgia, nobody is going to buy that.  I saw that one of the Walmart's in town have Devastator reduced to $20 as well.  I'm not a huge fan of the original toys anymore, but that is tempting. 

Anyway, it sounds like you guys haven't messed with the "adult grade" transformers.  I might have to look for a decent transformers fan site or something.  If I end up making anything I'll post pics. 

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 14, 2024, 06:01:28 pm
  • <insert personal text here>
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2019, 09:58:36 pm »
I do a fair amount of gunpla, really enjoying Bandai's 1:144 RG kits. While they don't transform, they really scratch the itch. I don't even watch that much gundam, just really enjoy the models. I love the poseability of them, 50+ joints, 3-5 different pairs of hands. Different faces for some of the kits. I know they make transformer versions as well - might be worth looking into. 

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2019, 10:20:02 pm »
Gundam's are pretty cool.  Hasbro actually pulled a lot of Bandai toys back in the day for use in the transformers line so they have a shared history.  The only Gundam anime I ever watched was Iron-Blooded Orphans, and I really liked it. 

Right now I'm eyeballing Hot Rod and Arcee on Amazon  (Arcee just sold out ugh).  They are a tad over-priced, but they have a surprising amount of KO figures on amazon.  I've got some credit too.   

https://www.amazon.com/gp/search/ref=sr_pg_1?fst=as%3Aon&rh=n%3A165793011%2Ck%3Atransformers+masterpiece&keywords=transformers+masterpiece&ie=UTF8&qid=1548731422

Check out that search and have an afternoon ruined falling down the rabbit-hole like I did.  ;)

I want to start with a mp-10 optimus and an it-01 megatron (same thing as mp-36 megatron, but the KO version that fixes a few of the figure's issues).  I think they are about 60-70 a piece, but most other KOs are 40 bucks or less.... especially if you buy them on ebay.  At least that's what my research has led me to believe so far. 

I would like to at least get a bumblebee, a starscream and a soundwave after that... not sure how many dioramas I have space for. 

javeryh

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 11:30:56 am
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2019, 02:12:19 pm »
I should still have a bunch from the mid-80s stashed away somewhere, probably in a shed at my parents' house. I haven't seen them in many years though. I used the crap out of them as a kid so they're all likely in well-used condition with missing pieces, etc.

You can probably still get some decent money on eBay.  I sold all of mine before the first Michael Bay movie was even announced and I made over $1000 for them.  They were in average to poor condition because they were so played with.  Didn't matter.  Jetfire and Megatron went for over $200 each.  I even sold a bag of loose items for like $30 - I had no idea what missile went with what toy, etc.

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 11:14:17 am
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2019, 03:25:24 pm »
That was probably the first thing my nerdy friends flogged on Ebay once they got accounts... turns out there was good money in those cardboard boxes in the attic...

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2019, 09:39:00 pm »
They were my favorite toys, so there isn't much left of my originals.  I think I have Ultra Magnus' trailer somewhere around here.  He and Optimus had really weak thighs, so they were threw out long ago.  If I only had known that just the parts would be worth around $100 years later. 

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2019, 09:52:35 am »
Only one I had was the Radio Shack one that turned into a gun.

:dunno

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 14, 2024, 06:01:28 pm
  • <insert personal text here>
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2019, 11:37:15 am »
Only one I had was the Radio Shack one that turned into a gun.

:dunno

That’s the one I wanted, never got it

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2019, 01:02:03 pm »
Megatron, Shockwave or one of those weird "not transformers" brands?

SlammedNiss

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 07:03:54 pm
  • Mine Drags the Ground!
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2019, 05:01:24 pm »
Loved them as a kid, made the mistake of selling them at a garage sale when I got older. I've bought several over the last few years, including a few MP's and some high-quality KO's that look just as good as the original G1 toys. But my favorite Transformer related item isn't even a toy, it's a complete 25th Anniversary Matrix of Leadership Edition DVD box set of the original cartoons. And, it's autographed by Peter Cullen himself.

https://www.psacard.com/cert/AD00427/dna

Need arcade button decals? Click Here!

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2019, 08:10:55 pm »
Looks like the collectors  called it "Shackwave" and it was legitimate. I remember it being metal but the internet tells me just the feet were.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2019, 10:29:35 pm »
Looks like the collectors  called it "Shackwave" and it was legitimate. I remember it being metal but the internet tells me just the feet were.

Yeah I had him too.  Radioshack was a lot more fun when they had toys.  He disappeared on me.  Grandma had a bad habit of giving away toys I quit playing with, which, as a whole was a good thing but damn it I wanted to keep my Transformers. 

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2019, 10:37:00 pm »
Loved them as a kid, made the mistake of selling them at a garage sale when I got older. I've bought several over the last few years, including a few MP's and some high-quality KO's that look just as good as the original G1 toys. But my favorite Transformer related item isn't even a toy, it's a complete 25th Anniversary Matrix of Leadership Edition DVD box set of the original cartoons. And, it's autographed by Peter Cullen himself.

https://www.psacard.com/cert/AD00427/dna

Totally jealous.  I hate to get morbid, but I figure he won't be around much longer, so anything he signed is going to get real rare real quick.

SlammedNiss

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 07:03:54 pm
  • Mine Drags the Ground!
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2019, 11:54:36 pm »
Totally jealous.  I hate to get morbid, but I figure he won't be around much longer, so anything he signed is going to get real rare real quick.

I actually had the pleasure of meeting him at KSC during the final shuttle launch STS-135. He was there promoting the new Transformers movie, and did a meet/greet interview. I was already going down for the launch, and saw that he was going to be there so I grabbed my tv show set to get autographed. He's a super nice guy, and if you ever have the chance to meet him at a comic-con, do it. Here's the video I took of him at KSC. It's kind of long, but it's worth the watch.
Need arcade button decals? Click Here!

Mr. Peabody

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 05, 2019, 02:30:42 pm
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2019, 04:04:23 pm »
I recall getting all those I asked for: Trax, Constructicons, Insecticons, Dinobots...some others...... Jetfire I didn't ask for, but I had asked for and gotten Roy Folker's Veritech/Valkyrie the Christmas or so before, and Jetfire was the same thing albeit a slight nose change, so dad knew I was open to having that. The funny thing was, I didn't much play with my Transformers as they were. I made them into ships, usually by removing parts. If they were a ship, I would remove parts or re-position them to make it a different one. They're still in those odd configurations. Jetfire was too cool to mess with of course.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2019, 04:48:21 pm by Mr. Peabody »

per_aspera

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 11, 2019, 09:29:38 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2019, 05:29:12 am »
I was stupid enough to sell my collection as well, though had some of my favorites back. IDK if I'm allowed to recommend you a different website, though you probably should check Seibertron. These guys are really something, and if you're looking for something extremely rare, they might help you. 

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2019, 01:44:09 am »
I've got some amazon credit, but the selection on amazon seems to be kind of crap in regards to price vs eBay prices.  Still planning what I'll do first then I'll buy the needed figure(s). 

I've been thinking I might want to attempt some resin casting to mod figures as well.  Siege Megatron looks damn close to a G1 megatron, he would scale well with the down-sized mp10 Prime and with some mods I think I could get his iffy Cybertronian tank mode to look like the G1 tank mode featured in Transformers Devastation.  The think is I can probably find a decent Masterpiece megatron on ebay for 60 and this guy is already 30.... might not be worth it. 

https://news.tfw2005.com/2018/11/08/tfw2005-transformers-siege-megatron-gallery-review-376092

jdbailey1206

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2023, 01:32:56 pm
  • No. It's your top score on Pole Position.
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2019, 05:53:54 pm »
Side note.  Looks like Hasbro is putting out an Ecto 1 Transformer through Gamestop during the summer.