Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: 2019 Chuff Thread - It IS chuffy in here!  (Read 82841 times)

Vigo

• the Scourage of Carpathia
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 21, 2024, 08:20:28 am
Re: 2019 Chuff Thread - It IS chuffy in here!
« Reply #160 on: April 27, 2019, 12:41:36 pm »
As difficult as a pool table to move, and the only advantage is you can put it next to a wall.

Titchgamer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2023, 08:05:48 am
  • I have a gaming addiction.....
« Reply #161 on: April 27, 2019, 12:44:53 pm »
I would love a air hocky table but no room :(

javeryh

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:28:40 am
« Reply #162 on: May 03, 2019, 03:42:01 pm »
Just got back from a week in San Diego for work - had a great time and ate so many delicious tacos.  Would definitely go back. 

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 03:47:56 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #163 on: May 09, 2019, 08:39:21 pm »
Guess who’s wife is out of town...

Steamed, boiled, fried, baked. 

:embarassed:

jdbailey1206

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2023, 01:32:56 pm
  • No. It's your top score on Pole Position.
« Reply #164 on: May 10, 2019, 08:57:27 am »

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #165 on: May 11, 2019, 01:33:39 am »
Been awhile since I’ve done a $0 repair like this.  I replaced the back box GI connector on my driver board because I got tired of those lights flickering.  Noticed the goalie looked weird.  Touched him and realized the only thing holding it together was the cracked decal.  Rubber was about to explode.  So I added duck tape on the back, put an iPad protector on the front, and wrapped in clear tape.  That locks in the original.  Then I printed a new goalie on photo paper, laminated it, and glued to the old goalie. This will last forever in home use.   :lol

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 07:31:21 pm
« Reply #166 on: May 21, 2019, 02:21:42 pm »
If anyone's interested, today @ noon (PST) I'll be going on stream again for my company's weekly broadcast. We'll be playing Micro Mages for the NES and drinkin' whiskey.  Today is going to be a good day.  >:D

https://www.twitch.tv/blindsquirrelgames

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 05:37:55 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #167 on: May 21, 2019, 02:54:45 pm »
Which Whiskey?

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #168 on: May 21, 2019, 03:09:04 pm »
I can't believe I'm watching this.

:-\

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #169 on: May 21, 2019, 04:37:59 pm »
Which Whiskey?

It was the Nikka Coffey Grain, not bad. Has a bit of a bite though.

I can't believe I'm watching this.

:-\
Thanks for stopping by!

Originally I wasn't supposed to be on stream this week, but the guy who was going to get interviewed got slammed with a last minute workload, so they asked me to fill in. I jokingly suggested bringing in an old console and playing some games on stream while drinking whiskey...and they agreed!
 :dunno

I love my job.

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:20:30 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #170 on: May 21, 2019, 05:14:02 pm »
I start my new job on May 28th,  IT Infrastructure Consultant for Dupont. This was the job that if I started when I was supposed to, would have prevented me from going to Zapcon.
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:58:57 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #171 on: May 21, 2019, 05:22:38 pm »
I start my new job on May 28th,  IT Infrastructure Consultant for Dupont. This was the job that if I started when I was supposed to, would have prevented me from going to Zapcon.

No, you MAKE the time to go bro.
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:58:57 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #172 on: May 21, 2019, 05:22:51 pm »
Oh, and congrats on the job!
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #173 on: May 21, 2019, 05:37:07 pm »
Please tell me there's something that sucks about opt2not's job.  Congrats, Malenko.  I'm personally spending a good 10 hours a day pondering my direction in life.

It felt silly to start a whole thread about this, but here's the current project.  I'm preeeeeeeeetty sure the xbox hard drive in my turtle box is about to give out.  Percussive maintenance and reseating the IDE connector is getting less successful.  Turns out nowadays you get a SATA -> IDE adapter and can hot swap a modern drive into these things.  Use a program called "Chimp" to clone your old drive onto the new one.  Catch with the adapter is it has to be a newer one that supports a Master/Slave jumper.  You forget how annoying it is to work with this old junk, but it's still pretty cool that it works. 

Well, it might work. 

Crapped out halfway through on me last night... but...

:dunno

Vigo

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #174 on: May 21, 2019, 05:42:50 pm »

Congrats! I hope you are helping their paint division, because nobody does colorization work better than you.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #175 on: May 21, 2019, 05:52:04 pm »
Listen here Opt. That is Japanese whisky. Not whiskey. America and Ireland = whiskey. Everywhere else = whisky.
Lesson complete.

Is it 70 dollars good or just good? I don't spend over 30 dollars a bottle unless it is really good.

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #176 on: May 21, 2019, 06:02:23 pm »
Congrats! I hope you are helping their paint division, because nobody does colorization work better than you.
Very Punny!

I'll be working at the FMC plant in Delaware. Dupont bought out FMC , in Delaware at least , so now they have to hire people like me to convert all the servers and networking from FMC's standard over to Dupont's standards. It pays better than my last gig, but its "Contract to Hire" so there's an outside chance that in 2 years I'll be unemployed.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #177 on: May 21, 2019, 06:05:07 pm »
Meh.  2 years is like infinity from now.  You'll probably be dead anyway. 

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #178 on: May 21, 2019, 06:20:33 pm »
Meh.  2 years is like infinity from now.  You'll probably be dead anyway.

one can only hope.

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #179 on: May 21, 2019, 06:42:24 pm »
btw Vigo, our Receptionist/Community Manager's mom is the original artist of the Vigo painting!  She told us this during our stream today. Her mom was/is a hollywood set designer and she worked on Ghostbusters 2, among some other big titles like Indiana Jones Temple of Doom.  Crazy!

Is it 70 dollars good or just good? I don't spend over 30 dollars a bottle unless it is really good.
Just good.  I wouldn't spend $70 on this one.  Nikka has better ones in their lineup that are worth that cost. Like their Pure Malt one.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #180 on: May 21, 2019, 06:48:02 pm »
Thanks for the heads up. By the way, I am 20 minutes into your little video and I am still not mentioned.

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #181 on: May 21, 2019, 06:49:46 pm »
Please tell me there's something that sucks about opt2not's job.
Well it's not all butterflies and lollipops.

- Unstable Industry:  The longest I've been at a company has been 4 years.  Every studio I've been at has lasted 2 years average.  Games get canceled all the time. Studios either do mass layoffs, or close their doors completely.

- You work with a lot of annoying younger people, and egotistical man-children.

- Lots of overtime, most of which go unpaid because we're all salary.

But hey, no one bats an eye when you're drinking on the job.
 :cheers:

Vigo

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #182 on: May 22, 2019, 06:11:23 am »
btw Vigo, our Receptionist/Community Manager's mom is the original artist of the Vigo painting!  She told us this during our stream today. Her mom was/is a hollywood set designer and she worked on Ghostbusters 2, among some other big titles like Indiana Jones Temple of Doom.  Crazy!

That is really ridiculously cool. There can't be too many set pieces more iconic that that, I'm sure I'd be blown away by the Indiana Jones stuff too.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #183 on: May 22, 2019, 10:36:48 am »
Well, it might work. 

And son of a ---smurfette---, it actually worked.  I took the old hard drive out of the Xbox case so that I could get the power and IDE cables as flat as possible, reduce any possibility of connector jitter and tugging when I did the hot swap.  Let it run overnight, and now I've got an old Xbox with a 7200RPM 2TB SATA drive in it.  Seems like UnleashX doesn't recognize that 1.7TB G: partition I have now, but it's working fine without any additional configuration in XBMC.  I did have it initially running as an exact clone of the old 160GB drive, but then I took a shower and stood under the water muttering to myself, "what would they think of me if they knew I left 1.7TB of space on the table...."

And, now, mostly for my own future reference when I search on here to remember how I did it:

If you’re running a fairly recent bios, the dvd drive check is probably disabled and you can boot up with both hard drives attached and no need to hot swap.

When you get into Chimp, first “scan physical ide devices” and make sure both drives appear.

Then do “master drive options” and pick partition information.  If the partitions don’t show up, run the XBPartitioner tool and choose the option that matches your setup.  Probably “F takes remaining space” if your old drive isn’t too large.  If you don’t do this, your F partition won’t copy over in chimp.

Use the option in Chimp 261812 - Clone Master to Slave -> Selective (Select Partitions) -> C, E, F, & G takes remaining space on a large new drive.

Only performance difference I noted was a few more seconds of initial boot time when the system comes on, but I think that's the adapter hand shaking between the Xbox and HD.  Once booted didn’t notice any difference.

This was the adapter I used, HDE RXD-62987-7

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JVUXMRI/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Put some tape on the back of it unless you like seeing sparks fly.

EDIT - the new drive needs the SATA adapter jumper set to "Slave" when you're copying the old drive.  Change it to "Master" when you install it into the Xbox.

PS: In a second Xbox, when I upgraded a 30GB drive to 320GB, I couldn't figure out how to make the F partition on the new drive large - it always made an exact clone of the F partition and left ~290GB unusable.  So I used the options above and ended up with an exact clone of C, E, and F and then a new large partition G.  In my case, it wasn't a big deal because that F partition was ~20GB and has almost everything I want on it already, but the rub is there's only like 100MB free on it.  XBMC works fine with a G partition, but you'll need to update the paths on your Apps/Video links to point towards it.  I've noticed that XBMC doesn't like two copies of the same game on two different partitions.  It'll work if you use the file explorer to run the default.xbe, but if you try to navigate to it through the Apps shortcut it's not working.  It shows the game one time and doesn't have the icon.  You can probably get around this limitation if you use different folder names or something.

« Last Edit: May 24, 2019, 11:21:17 am by pbj »

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #184 on: May 22, 2019, 12:57:14 pm »
Nice. If you haven’t done so already, for longevity’s sake you should remove the clock battery. It’s prone to failure and battery leakage.
http://myoriginalxbox.weebly.com/capacitor-removal.html

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 05:29:33 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #185 on: May 22, 2019, 01:36:14 pm »
Well, it might work. 

And son of a ---smurfette---, it actually worked.  I took the old hard drive out of the Xbox case so that I could get the power and IDE cables as flat as possible, reduce any possibility of connector jitter and tugging when I did the hot swap.  Let it run overnight, and now I've got an old Xbox with a 7200RPM 2TB SATA drive in it.  Seems like UnleashX doesn't recognize that 1.7TB G: partition I have now, but it's working fine without any additional configuration in XBMC.  I did have it initially running as an exact clone of the old 160GB drive, but then I took a shower and stood under the water muttering to myself, "what would they think of me if they knew I left 1.7TB of space on the table...."

And, now, mostly for my own future reference when I search on here to remember how I did it:

Used the option in Chimp 261812 - Clone Master to Slave -> Selective (Select Partitions) -> C, E, F, & G takes remaining space

Only performance difference I noted was a few more seconds of initial boot time when the system comes on, but I think that's the adapter hand shaking between the Xbox and HD.

This was the adapter I used, HDE RXD-62987-7

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JVUXMRI/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Put some tape on the back of it unless you like seeing sparks fly.

I need to do that.  My original xbox won't even boot anymore....  got another at the pick n pay for like 5 bucks and it works but the hdds are starting to chug so they are probably on their way out. 

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #186 on: May 22, 2019, 02:20:32 pm »
Nice. If you haven’t done so already, for longevity’s sake you should remove the clock battery. It’s prone to failure and battery leakage.
http://myoriginalxbox.weebly.com/capacitor-removal.html

They leak but there aren't exactly large piles of dead Xbox motherboards because of them.  Given that the fix is just twisting them off there's no harm in doing it, though.  I'll double check but pretty sure I already did that years ago.

Was kind of interesting to see the current state of CoinOps.  Looks like the 'community' opinion really changed on that guy and now everyone's moving to XBMC Emustation.  That's unfortunately Pi-like but looks promising.

gamepimp

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 10, 2024, 01:38:47 pm
« Reply #187 on: May 23, 2019, 11:23:14 am »
Thanks PBJ for outlining the steps to upgrade the HDD. This has been on my "To Do" list for quite some time now...

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #188 on: May 23, 2019, 10:31:25 pm »
Listen to Canada-Dad. One clock capacitor had already taken its ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- on my motherboard, the other one started dripping when I yanked  it off.

:o

Currently replacing my 30gb hard drive from 2000.  It's the one my parents bought me to cheer me up after I nearly died from Mono.

jdbailey1206

• Offline Offline
« Reply #189 on: May 24, 2019, 08:34:45 am »
...I nearly died from Mono.

Lies.  You can't kill pbj.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #190 on: May 24, 2019, 11:38:34 am »
That one damn near did.  I ended up in the ER having my throat drained of some obscene amount of pus (28cc's, IIRC).  The campus clinic had given me so many shots of steroids to get the swelling down that I was at risk of cardiac arrest.  ---smurf--- running that place would just give me a shot and tell me to gargle salt water.

Don't pass around "oh my god, you won't believe how strong this is!" drinks at a bar, kids.

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #191 on: May 24, 2019, 12:16:28 pm »
I thought I had mono once, turns out I was just really bored.

CCM

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 08, 2020, 10:08:27 am
« Reply #192 on: May 24, 2019, 01:46:17 pm »

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #193 on: May 24, 2019, 02:41:00 pm »
Yeah, no.  Didn't eat or drink for a week.  Didn't have a car.  At one point, a friend loaded me into the back of his pickup like a dead body... and drove me back to the clinic.   :lol

Anyway, was just funny to open that ancient Xbox and find that hard drive in there. 

jdbailey1206

• Offline Offline
« Reply #194 on: May 30, 2019, 12:29:26 pm »

Super chuffed for tomorrow bitches...and I ain't talkin' 'bout the new Disney attraction.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2019, 02:27:34 pm by jdbailey1206 »

jdbailey1206

• Offline Offline
« Reply #195 on: June 10, 2019, 01:34:36 pm »

Super chuffed about this Alan 1 yoke.  I received it last week and made a stand for it.  It plays great on the Star Wars Trilogy arcade.  I still need to lubricate the internals but the controller and board are worth the money.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2019, 01:36:13 pm by jdbailey1206 »

jennifer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 11, 2023, 06:24:58 am
« Reply #196 on: June 10, 2019, 06:17:33 pm »
That one damn near did.  I ended up in the ER having my throat drained of some obscene amount of pus (28cc's, IIRC).  The campus clinic had given me so many shots of steroids to get the swelling down that I was at risk of cardiac arrest.  ---smurf--- running that place would just give me a shot and tell me to gargle salt water.

Don't pass around "oh my god, you won't believe how strong this is!" drinks at a bar, kids.
*Note to self, "Do NOT kiss PBJ"* ....However good job on that HD man, that is impressive, I can't wait to try that.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #197 on: June 10, 2019, 07:12:08 pm »
For the first time in months, no general illumination BS on my WCS 94.  This pinbits tool is great. Male connectors on driver board could stand replacing but eh.

HaRuMaN

• Supreme Solder King
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+45)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 27, 2024, 07:37:53 pm
  • boom
    • Arcade Madness
« Reply #198 on: June 11, 2019, 06:55:16 pm »
What does that tool do?

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #199 on: June 11, 2019, 08:22:54 pm »
Pushes wires into IDC connectors. I ended up replacing the male pins on the driver board. GI is much brighter now....