Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Cannot get HLSL to work  (Read 2207 times)

bluevolume

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 22, 2019, 12:14:32 pm
  • I wish I'd bought more pins...
Cannot get HLSL to work
« on: July 04, 2019, 03:22:26 pm »
I'm starting my first LCD build and cannot get HLSL to work; after going through tons of posts and videos I'm stumped.  I'm at the point now where I just want to get it working on my Surface Pro 6, then go from there.

Right now I'm using Arcade64 because I think it has the best interface for setting things up.  If that's the problem, please point me elsewhere.  I've enabled HLSL in the GUI, checked that the value is set in mame.ini, and also confirmed that 'video' is set to d3d.  When I launch a game the effects are not visible and when I hit '`' to get to the slider values none of the HLSL settings are there (it's just volume and screen size).  Does this require a certain video card?  I'm using my SP6 as the test case since it's a closed system and should be easy to rule out variables.  The only way I can get a CRT effect is to pick one of the graphics in the 'select effect' section, but I don't think this is part of HLSL as it works regardless of if HLSL is enabled or not.

Any ideas?  Before I start this new build I really want to figure this out.

Thanks!
SABRECADE LIVES ON

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 22, 2024, 04:24:05 pm
  • Budgets are boring
    • newforum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,156267.0.html
Re: Cannot get HLSL to work
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2019, 12:04:19 am »
I struggled with HLSL for awhile and at the time at least it was half baked as you couldn’t save the settings from the GUI.

I moved on to using GLSL and it worked fantastic for me, and from what I understand it doesn’t use as much of the CPU.

This was the tutorial I followed (don’t be thrown off by the Mac part the instructions work fine for a PC setup).  I used CRT-Geom-Deluxe.

https://mameonmacs.blogspot.com/2016/01/getting-video-retro-effect-on-lcd.html?m=1

Robbbert

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 21, 2024, 06:42:46 am
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2019, 03:59:44 am »
The recent versions of Arcade64 and MameUI will save the slider values on exit. Standard Mame does not.

Make sure you have directX 9 installed - HLSL requires this particular version.

Mr. Peabody

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 05, 2019, 02:30:42 pm
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2019, 05:51:36 pm »

Make sure you have directX 9 installed - HLSL requires this particular version.

....and to know this, plus other things of which the op spoke, would be to read the MAME documentation.