Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Newbie HAPP 3" Trackball setup  (Read 3721 times)

obizues

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 11, 2023, 06:17:35 pm
  • Before you start your next project, don’t.
Newbie HAPP 3" Trackball setup
« on: January 22, 2019, 08:15:04 pm »
So to start off I ordered the wrong kind of Trackball with a giant 6-pin male "molex"-type connector on it from like the one here:

So I bought a harness thinking I could fix it, but little did I realize I have 2 extra 4-pin connectors with nowhere to put them. 
Harness:

I thought it might still work so I wired it up to my iPAC-Ultimate IO, but no dice.

Did I screw myself over here by using a happ, or buying that wrong type?

Or can I save it by doing something else?
Like this:

Also where can I attach the ground?

FALSE

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 25, 2024, 08:13:59 pm
Re: Newbie HAPP 3" Trackball setup
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2019, 11:00:37 pm »
I don't have a Happ trackball but a quick Google search gave these links that might help you.

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=155425.0

https://www.ultimarc.com/optipac3.html

obizues

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2019, 11:34:03 pm »
I don't have a Happ trackball but a quick Google search gave these links that might help you.

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=155425.0

https://www.ultimarc.com/optipac3.html

So I esssentially did what was mentioned in the first link, but I’m not getting anything.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 08:55:04 am
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2019, 06:14:38 am »
I thought you had this figured out months ago.   :dunno
The GGG Red-board to Dupont pins cable will work with the Ultimate I/O board if you extract the ground pin from the housing since the 5v and ground pins are not next to each other on that board.
Sorry I’m still a little confused by that statement.

Are you saying the Happ Trackball will pin into the Ultimarc Ultimate, but I will need to remove the ground pin from the quick connect since it won’t fit?
If you look at the trackball Dupont pins on the Ultimate I/O board (top, just left of center), the ground pins (G) are on the left, the data pins (X1/X2, Y1/Y2) are in the middle, and the 5v pins are on the right.

If you look at the picture of the GGG Trackball Cable for Opti-Wiz™ "No-Solder", one of the 1x2 black Dupont pin housings has 5v (red wires) and ground (black wires) next to each other.

To make the GGG trackball cable work with the Ultimate I/O board, you'll need to pull one of those two pins (I recommend ground) out of that 1x2 housing using this procedure.

If you have a spare 1x1 or 1x2 Dupont housing, you can put it on the extracted pin or you an just plug the bare pin directly onto the Ultimate I/O board.

Plug the one ground pin on the left, the four data pins in the center, and the one 5v pin on the right.

Also where can I attach the ground?
The trackball frame ground can be attached to any ground -- power supply ground is a common choice.

It is there to bleed off static electrical charges generated by rolling the ball on the metal rollers.

Scott

obizues

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2019, 10:08:07 am »
I thought you had this figured out months ago.   :dunno
A sick infant tends to throw your plans away.

The GGG Red-board to Dupont pins cable will work with the Ultimate I/O board if you extract the ground pin from the housing since the 5v and ground pins are not next to each other on that board.

To make the GGG trackball cable work with the Ultimate I/O board, you'll need to pull one of those two pins (I recommend ground) out of that 1x2 housing using this procedure.

Plug the one ground pin on the left, the four data pins in the center, and the one 5v pin on the right.

I'm at work so I can't see the GGG cable right now, but it sounds like you are saying that the GGG housing has three 2x1 housings in it.  So I can plug the X and Y directly into the board, and then take the ground out of the G/5V 2x1 housing.  Then, as you said, plug the ground into the board.  I assume I can just use a single connector pin in lieu of soldering.

The trackball frame ground can be attached to any ground -- power supply ground is a common choice.
This is the only part that confuses me.  Which power supply are you talking about?  The one that's powering the computer?

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2019, 10:57:02 am »

I'm at work so I can't see the GGG cable right now, but it sounds like you are saying that the GGG housing has three 2x1 housings in it.  So I can plug the X and Y directly into the board, and then take the ground out of the G/5V 2x1 housing.  Then, as you said, plug the ground into the board.  I assume I can just use a single connector pin in lieu of soldering.
Sounds like you've got it.   ;D

The two red 5v wires connected to a single 5v pin should be OK.

The two black ground wires connected to a single ground pin should also be OK.

This is the only part that confuses me.  Which power supply are you talking about?  The one that's powering the computer?
Yes.  ANY non-isolated ground will properly bleed the static charge to ground.
- Computer power supply ground
- I-Pac daisy-chain ground
- USB shielding ground
- Frame of a monitor that doesn't use an isolation transformer

Examples of isolated grounds to NOT use:
- The daisy-chain grounds on an X-arcade encoder -- each wire bundle has a separate daisy-chain ground for the related inputs
- The frame of a monitor using an isolation transformer

Scott
« Last Edit: January 23, 2019, 11:05:57 am by PL1 »

obizues

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2019, 11:15:48 am »

So maybe I don’t have it.  ???  I thought there would only be one black and one red on the same connector. What do you mean about the two 5v and two grounds?

Yes.  ANY non-isolated ground will properly bleed the static charge to ground

Dumb question incoming:
I’m using a flat screen TV, but can I just use one of the screws for the flat plate I top mounted the trackball on that is just run through the wood of the CP?

Or do I need to get a literal metal bracket and mount that o the wood and screw it into that?

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2019, 12:33:38 pm »
So maybe I don’t have it.  ???  I thought there would only be one black and one red on the same connector. What do you mean about the two 5v and two grounds?
As seen in the picture below (click to view full-size), the GGG cable connects two red wires (X- and Y-axis 5v) to one female Dupont pin and two black wires (X- and Y-axis ground) to one female Dupont pin.
- Those two pins are shown in a single 1x2 Dupont housing.
- Pull the ground pin out of that housing and attach it to one of the ground pins on your I-Pac Ult. I/O (two Red Boards==>two ground wires on one pin)
- Connect the 5v pin and housing to one of the 5v pins on your I-Pac Ult. I/O (two Red Boards==>two 5v wires on one pin)

Yes.  ANY non-isolated ground will properly bleed the static charge to ground

Dumb question incoming:
I’m using a flat screen TV, but can I just use one of the screws for the flat plate I top mounted the trackball on that is just run through the wood of the CP?

Or do I need to get a literal metal bracket and mount that o the wood and screw it into that?
Wood is an insuator -- you need an electrical path from the trackball's big green ground wires/ring terminal (back left corner) through conductive metal (wire, terminals, screws, metal brackets, etc) all the way to any of the four ground options I listed above.

In plumbing terms, think of ground as a drain that carries water to the sewer.

If you use a bucket instead of a drain to catch water from a faucet, the bucket will eventually overflow and cause a mess.

If the trackball mount plate on wood (bucket) isn't grounded (connected to a drain), the static charge (water) can build up enough to cause a static discharge that can damage the I-Pac.

Scott

obizues

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2019, 03:02:59 pm »
As seen in the picture below (click to view full-size), the GGG cable connects two red wires (X- and Y-axis 5v) to one female Dupont pin and two black wires (X- and Y-axis ground) to one female Dupont pin.
Ahhh, my eyes suck.  Thanks.

Wood is an insuator -- you need an electrical path from the trackball's big green ground wires/ring terminal (back left corner) through conductive metal (wire, terminals, screws, metal brackets, etc) all the way to any of the four ground options I listed above.

In plumbing terms, think of ground as a drain that carries water to the sewer.
That's a good metaphor.  I'll plan on doing the daisy chained ground since it seems simplest.  Is there a "clean" way to do it with that really wonky green cables giant circular connector?

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2019, 03:59:00 pm »
I'll plan on doing the daisy chained ground since it seems simplest.  Is there a "clean" way to do it with that really wonky green cables giant circular connector?
Mod to the daisy-chain: (easiest way if you don't have any male 0.187" QDs handy)
- Cut off the last QD on the daisy-chain and strip the wire
- Connect the wire to the ring terminal with a screw and nut
- You may also need some washers

No mod to the trackball ground wires:
- Crimp a male 0.187" QD on a green or black wire
- Connect the other end of the wire to the ring terminal with a screw and nut
- You may also need some washers

Mod to the trackball ground wires: (cleanest looking)
- Cut off the ring terminal
- Strip the wires and crimp both in a single male 0.187" QD

Scott

obizues

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2019, 04:17:33 pm »

I don’t know why I didn’t think of this. This sounds great. Thanks!

obizues

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2019, 08:36:22 pm »

So I started to do some basic cable management, cut the ground wires and striped them. Combined them
And plugged them into the grounding daisy chain.

Second I cut the 6 pin cable, combined the 2 red and 2 black cables both into one twisted together red and one twisted together black. I’ll plan on plugging the black into GND and red into 5V.

Then I just need to get two 2x1 DuPont connectors and plug the X’s into the X’s and Y’s into the Y’s, right?

Dumb question alert:
Finally, for the iPad itself, is there a way people I usually mount those?  Does it need to sit on something special like a motherboard? Or can I screw it into the wood with those 4 holes?

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2019, 10:34:23 pm »
I honestly can't tell if you're failing at reading comprehension/attention to detail or failing at conveying relevant info by writing, but you're definitely failing at some part of the communication process in this thread.

Please help me to help you.

Second I cut the 6 pin cable, combined the 2 red and 2 black cables both into one twisted together red and one twisted together black. I’ll plan on plugging the black into GND and red into 5V.
Why are you cutting the cable from GGG??!!??   :dizzy:

As mentioned in the lower right corner of the pic above, the cable from GGG completely replaces the original molex harness that plugs into the Red Boards.
- The white ends of the GGG cable plug into the Red Boards and the black Dupont ends plug into the I-Pac.

The ONLY necessary mod to the GGG cable is to remove the ground pin from the Dupont housing since 5v and ground aren't on adjacent pins.

Then I just need to get two 2x1 DuPont connectors and plug the X’s into the X’s and Y’s into the Y’s, right?
What the . . . this sounds like you aren't using the GGG cable.   :dizzy:   :banghead:

If the ends of the cable you're using do not match the picture of the GGG cable, post a good picture of the actual cable you are trying to use.

Finally, for the iPad itself, is there a way people I usually mount those?  Does it need to sit on something special like a motherboard? Or can I screw it into the wood with those 4 holes?
Most people prefer using PCB feet/standoffs.
- Remember that you can only tighten a screw in MDF once -- removing and re-tightening the screw will break down the MDF to pulp.

Scott

obizues

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2019, 11:19:44 pm »
I honestly can't tell if you're failing at reading comprehension/attention to detail or failing at conveying relevant info by writing, but you're definitely failing at some part of the communication process
Likely assumptions.

Why are you cutting the cable from GGG??!!??   :dizzy:

As mentioned in the lower right corner of the pic above, the cable from GGG completely replaces the original molex harness that plugs into the Red Boards.
- The white ends of the GGG cable plug into the Red Boards and the black Dupont ends plug into the I-Pac.

The ONLY necessary mod to the GGG cable is to remove the ground pin from the Dupont housing since 5v and ground aren't on adjacent pins.

I clearly didn’t know a GGG cable was. I thought it was that giant male connector I showed you.

With the changes I’ve made- is that bad? 

I have the ground going to ground.

I have the volts going to volts.

I have the X’s and Y’s going to their spots.

Edit: letter because I’ve had a few beers
« Last Edit: January 24, 2019, 11:21:40 pm by obizues »

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2019, 12:09:26 am »
I clearly didn’t know a GGG cable was. I thought it was that giant male connector I showed you.
The "GGG cable" is the GroovyGameGear Trackball Cable for Opti-Wiz™ "No-Solder" shown left of center in this pic.

The large 6-pin male Molex connector (bottom center) is part of the standard arcade-style trackball harness.

I have the ground going to ground.

I have the volts going to volts.

I have the X’s and Y’s going to their spots.
Sounds like you have it hooked up properly.   ;D

Does it work as expected?
- If an axis is reversed, swap the data lines. (i.e. if you move the trackball right and the cursor moves left, swap data lines X1 and X2)

Scott