Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Control Panel Specs: Why such a closely guarded secret?  (Read 1610 times)

TheDistrict

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 04, 2023, 10:59:16 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Control Panel Specs: Why such a closely guarded secret?
« on: January 19, 2019, 03:00:25 pm »
Hi Everyone,

Another post for the resident obsessed newbie here. I have been researching and testing out plans for a stand up cabinet over the last 2 months (I finally ordered and received 1 player set of controls to test out this week!).

As part of this process I have found a ton of helpful information on this site, but the one thing that seems to be a closely guarded secret is the control panel / specs or design files.  My brother works with 3D designs so I have a person to help tailor a control panel to my specific needs but as with anything its always easier to start with something then adapt. 

Am I missing something, or there a reason why no one seems to share their control panel info? Does anyone know of a place where I can find in depth info on a great 4 player set up?  Or does that go against some sort of code?  Either way I plan on getting it done, I would just love to save my brother in law some time as he is designing it as a favor.  Either way I'm curious as to why it seems to be so hard to find.  Thank you as always for you input.  It really has been fantastic digging into everyones experience on this site.

-Andrew

ZTylerDurden717

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 07, 2024, 12:52:28 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Re: Control Panel Specs: Why such a closely guarded secret?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2019, 03:22:49 pm »
Well I think you might be thinking it's harder than it actually is.

You can print out the joystick/button mappings on Slagcoin.com to scale on your home printer 4 times, evenly distribute the controls across the top panel, tape it down, and put holes in. 

ark_ader

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2019, 07:35:34 pm
  • I glow in the dark.
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2019, 03:28:45 pm »
Hi Everyone,

Another post for the resident obsessed newbie here. I have been researching and testing out plans for a stand up cabinet over the last 2 months (I finally ordered and received 1 player set of controls to test out this week!).

As part of this process I have found a ton of helpful information on this site, but the one thing that seems to be a closely guarded secret is the control panel / specs or design files.  My brother works with 3D designs so I have a person to help tailor a control panel to my specific needs but as with anything its always easier to start with something then adapt. 

Am I missing something, or there a reason why no one seems to share their control panel info? Does anyone know of a place where I can find in depth info on a great 4 player set up?  Or does that go against some sort of code?  Either way I plan on getting it done, I would just love to save my brother in law some time as he is designing it as a favor.  Either way I'm curious as to why it seems to be so hard to find.  Thank you as always for you input.  It really has been fantastic digging into everyones experience on this site.

-Andrew

Make sure you place the controls in a comfortable position.  Ergonomics are never considered first time around.  Best to prototype in cardboard before making any permanent cuts.
If I had only one wish, it would be for three more wishes.

keilmillerjr

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 06, 2023, 10:20:39 pm
  • Web Developer.
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2019, 03:28:57 pm »
Duplicate what you see on a real arcade machine like TMNT or sunset riders.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2023, 08:05:48 am
  • I have a gaming addiction.....
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2019, 02:24:06 am »
Personally I dont use pre-made layouts.

When I designed mine I made a 6 button layout comfortable to me.
I literally spread my fingers on a sheet of paper drew around my hand and worked out the best angle and spacing for the buttons.
Then made a prototype out of cardboard and tried it.

As Tyler said dont over think it, Just make it comfortable and practical and trial it before taking drill to wood.

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 25, 2024, 08:10:48 pm
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2019, 10:04:02 am »
I don't think anyone considers their layout a secret except the very few cases where people are selling cabs.

Most people just start with the size they want the control panel to be, then experiment with the layout to figure out what feels right to them.
They assume someone else building a cab will do the same because they most likely will not have the same cab width, viewing angle, players might be a different age (therefore size), etc.

If you search the forum for 4 player layouts, you're bound to come across discussion on not angling joysticks, Malenko's joysticks in a straight line, aircraft carrier hate, etc.