Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Sony CRT G200 Problem  (Read 2141 times)

BCrow

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 29, 2019, 04:22:37 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Sony CRT G200 Problem
« on: January 19, 2019, 06:07:22 am »
Hello,

I bought a Sony G200, it has a great image quality, but unfortunately it came plagued with this issue; with a 2 mins interval it makes a short clicking/static sound with the image getting bigger, and then returns to normal again. It happens at various resolutions and refresh rates. Currently I have it at 640x480 85hz. Any solution for this? Is this something I could resolve with some guidance? I don't want to go back to LCD gaming after seeing this image quality :hissy:, thanks!

schmerzkaufen

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 03, 2023, 02:27:31 pm
  • Multiple Electronic Machine Emulator
Re: Sony CRT G200 Problem
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2019, 07:24:33 am »
Pretty obvious this monitor is trying to harm you, I'd check the behavioural inhibitors.

(Sorry for usless post, I don't know, dying flyback maybe?)

BCrow

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2019, 07:37:33 am »
 :D

BCrow

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2019, 07:39:15 am »
Is this something easy to fix, or not worth the trouble? I paid 1 euro for the monitor...

grantspain

• I personally prefer "bog trotter"
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 04:51:05 am
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2019, 07:56:03 am »
could be flyback

BCrow

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2019, 05:38:40 pm »
How hard it is to replace the flyback without getting electrocuted?

Well here they ask 80 euros per hour for repairing the monitor  :badmood:

I found another deal but this time a Dell trinitron 21 inch 30 euros... I hope I have some luck this time.

princess prin prin

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 06:27:46 am
  • intrinsically safe
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2019, 08:19:22 am »
You are worrying about the wrong things (electrocution, cost). Assuming it's the flyback, do you really think replacements are available? They're not.

BCrow

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2019, 05:38:25 pm »
You are worrying about the wrong things (electrocution, cost). Assuming it's the flyback, do you really think replacements are available? They're not.

Well yeah I don't want to be buried with a 18 years old CRT.

I see a lot of Sony NOS flybacks on ebay. It's like saying I can't get new heads for a Sony tape recorder because Sony doesn't make them anymore, but ebay is full of nos Sony tape heads. Anyway could be something else and not the flyback. I'm not going to worry anymore because of a 1€ monitor, but is a shame to bin it, because the solution could be simple. I just can't find a good technician (€) nearby and I don't have the time and the knowledge to execute the fix.

schmerzkaufen

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2019, 06:34:03 pm »
Last time I've picked a used PC CRT monitor - a gorgeous 21" Diamondtron - it lasted something like one week before it began to show similar issues, and I could not find anyone to fix it anywhere close, that was over 10 years ago.
In my country practically all techies qualified in CRTs closed shop/switched jobs even before CRT manufacturers gave the last call around 2006.

BCrow

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2019, 12:23:09 pm »
Last time I've picked a used PC CRT monitor - a gorgeous 21" Diamondtron - it lasted something like one week before it began to show similar issues, and I could not find anyone to fix it anywhere close, that was over 10 years ago.
In my country practically all techies qualified in CRTs closed shop/switched jobs even before CRT manufacturers gave the last call around 2006.

It's strange, on youtube you see all these guys from India executing all repairing tasks, swapping hardisk PCBs, reparing CRT monitors, and in Europe is so difficult to find a tech that fixes these problems, and even if you find one it will cost an arm and a leg.

What LCD are you using now? Are you happy with it?

I have used a Diamondtron 17 inch and a 21 inch Viewsonic CRTs for graphic work, both got damaged with normal use at the same time and I bought them new in early 2000's... I thought it was caused by humidity or something, but it seems is a common issue with CRTs.

What I would really like is a 4:3 21 inch oled panel... for retro gaming and watching old 4:3 movies.

schmerzkaufen

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2019, 02:28:56 pm »
What LCD are you using now? Are you happy with it?
The ViewSonic in my sig, very happy with it, good quality and supports retro/arcade games refresh rates natively, ViewSonic have many different models with that ability, AFAIK it's the only alternative to FreeSync and G-Sync, and it works with CRT_Emudriver (or with custom resolutions by any other means if you don't have an AMD card) you can identify those particular models by reading the User Guide under the specifications chapter, if at 'supported resolutions' they list refreshes even down to 56Hz, it really means they can take anything between 50Hz and 75Hz (well at least that how it works with mine)

But you know...it's still only just a LCD.  ;D

What I would really like is a 4:3 21 inch oled panel... for retro gaming and watching old 4:3 movies.
Closest thing would be a Sony broadcast OLED, PVM-2541 or PVM-A250. NOT cheap tho.  :lol
« Last Edit: January 23, 2019, 02:30:58 pm by schmerzkaufen »

BCrow

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2019, 07:07:06 pm »
The ViewSonic in my sig, very happy with it, good quality and supports retro/arcade games refresh rates natively, ViewSonic have many different models with that ability, AFAIK it's the only alternative to FreeSync and G-Sync, and it works with CRT_Emudriver (or with custom resolutions by any other means if you don't have an AMD card) you can identify those particular models by reading the User Guide under the specifications chapter, if at 'supported resolutions' they list refreshes even down to 56Hz, it really means they can take anything between 50Hz and 75Hz (well at least that how it works with mine)

But you know...it's still only just a LCD.  ;D

Thanks for the detailed info. I didn't noticed before that it was in your sig. But you see black bars on the sides, correct?
« Last Edit: January 24, 2019, 07:09:32 pm by BCrow »

schmerzkaufen

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2019, 10:43:37 am »
Well yes of course with most arcade and retro console games since it's a 16:9, it's not like you really have a choice these days.

But my mind always makes abstraction of that when I play. Void, black, overlay, no difference to me.

Rather it's for rotating, especially on a desk, that this aspect is annoying...

BCrow

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2019, 04:22:37 pm »
Ok I'm going to pick the Dell trinitron 21 inch tomorrow. It will be tested on site, I hope it's a good score this time...