Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Yet another DHL rant  (Read 3517 times)

eds1275

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 11, 2024, 10:50:02 am
  • Rock and Roll!
Yet another DHL rant
« on: January 18, 2019, 12:49:03 pm »
I bought some stuff on ebay before xmas to play with, some rfid tags and a reader/writer. The tags came very eventually, but due to the postage strike in Canada the seller cancelled the order and after the strike ended I re-ordered the reader/writer.

I did it in a hurry and didn't read the listing, $30 CAD to ship a $6 item.  What a doofus. I'm so used to free shipping from China I let my guard down I guess.

I got the notification the other day that DHL was coming with a $20 brokerage fee.

$56 total!

I bought it because it was a cheap toy to mess around with :P I'd say lesson learned but it will take me a few times before I really learn, I'm sure. I've sent out some messages to both seller and DHL in the hopes that I can recoup some of this even though the shipping fees were an oversight on my part.

05SRT4

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 03:23:57 pm
  • Check out my Pow Pow
Re: Yet another DHL rant
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2019, 01:22:21 pm »
You making Nintendo Amiibos?

eds1275

• Offline Offline
  • Rock and Roll!
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2019, 01:27:49 pm »
No I read about someone here making a music player that uses the tags to trigger music playing. I'm hoping to put a little bar in a house and have a similar thing going on except the reader embedded in the bartop and a bowl of "records" that will play entire band catalogues. The bar is a future dream, but that doesn't mean I can't figure out the technology now!

05SRT4

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 03:23:57 pm
  • Check out my Pow Pow
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2019, 01:34:28 pm »
Dang that sounds cool.

eds1275

• Offline Offline
  • Rock and Roll!
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2019, 02:10:39 pm »
If I can get it working, a reader/writer is $6CAD on ebay and the tags are cheap. I even just found out that you can buy them in sticker form. I'll share my results. For now I have these red fobs just to play with and in the end I'll make some records that maybe could double as coasters for the bar.

ark_ader

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2019, 07:35:34 pm
  • I glow in the dark.
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2019, 03:12:37 pm »
If I can get it working, a reader/writer is $6CAD on ebay and the tags are cheap. I even just found out that you can buy them in sticker form. I'll share my results. For now I have these red fobs just to play with and in the end I'll make some records that maybe could double as coasters for the bar.

Sorry to hear you got stung with that fee.  Can you post or PM links to the reader and stickers?

Thanks
If I had only one wish, it would be for three more wishes.

DrakeTungsten

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 14, 2022, 06:36:45 pm
  • I effed with the wrong person!
    • No Quarter - a basic FE, WIP
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2019, 03:40:36 pm »
What do you mean by "bowl of records"? I'm doing the same thing, and have settled on using the CD covers of my CD collection to attach the NFC stickers to, and creating CD sized binders to hold groupings of albums. I haven't started that part yet, so I'd be interested in hearing how you plan to use and organize the NFC tags and their vehicles.
No Quarter - a basic FE, WIP

eds1275

• Offline Offline
  • Rock and Roll!
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2019, 04:39:33 pm »
I plan on making small, coaster sized records out of wood, putting the rfid sticker on it, then covering that with a "record label" that features the band's logo. I am opting on a per-band record instead of narrowing it down further, I'll just have it randomly play tracks from said band until another one is chosen. That's the plan anyways. I'm a music lover and have thousands of albums in my collection. It took ALL THE DAYS to rip them to my computer for a jukebox project I have that's on hold. But since I have the music already this idea came out since I don't need space to work on it.

As for the bowl... I've got a few of these laying around.

ark_ader

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2019, 07:35:34 pm
  • I glow in the dark.
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2019, 11:39:07 am »
I plan on making small, coaster sized records out of wood, putting the rfid sticker on it, then covering that with a "record label" that features the band's logo. I am opting on a per-band record instead of narrowing it down further, I'll just have it randomly play tracks from said band until another one is chosen. That's the plan anyways. I'm a music lover and have thousands of albums in my collection. It took ALL THE DAYS to rip them to my computer for a jukebox project I have that's on hold. But since I have the music already this idea came out since I don't need space to work on it.

As for the bowl... I've got a few of these laying around.

Very interesting.  Is there not a way to link your coasters to a music service like Deezer or Amazon Music using their respective SDK?
If I had only one wish, it would be for three more wishes.

eds1275

• Offline Offline
  • Rock and Roll!
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2019, 03:56:18 pm »
Is there not a way to link your coasters to a music service like Deezer or Amazon Music using their respective SDK?

Probably, but it's not my desire to do that