Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Is ATOM-15 still a thing?  (Read 3191 times)

Neilalphazeta

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 05, 2023, 10:35:42 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Is ATOM-15 still a thing?
« on: January 17, 2019, 06:09:54 pm »
Should I be installing ATOM-15 as instructed in some older guides (after installing crtemudrivers) for running groovymame on a consumer crt or is that no longer needed? Windows 7 64bit user here just want to know whether this is still recommended. Thank you.

Paradroid

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 10, 2024, 04:41:43 am
    • SCART Hunter
Re: Is ATOM-15 still a thing?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2019, 07:43:51 pm »
Should I be installing ATOM-15 as instructed in some older guides (after installing crtemudrivers) for running groovymame on a consumer crt or is that no longer needed?

If you want to protect your TV by booting straight to 15 kHz, yes, ATOM-15 is still applicable.

It's not, however, required to generate 15 kHz modes once Windows has booted.

Some people seem to think flashing the card is a requirement of the CRT Emudriver. It's not.
My MAME/SCART/CRT blog: SCART Hunter

Neilalphazeta

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2019, 02:37:35 pm »
Thanks a bunch for the reply. In that case I'll opt to install it.

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:32:54 pm
  • Budgets are boring
    • newforum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,156267.0.html
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2019, 07:51:59 am »

I’d highly recommend following the suggestion on the Atom-15 installation guide and go the MS-DOS USB thumb drive route.  I didn’t do some of the testing for compatibility with the lbios bios loader, and looks like I may have bricked my card by using ATIwinflash.

krick

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 08, 2023, 08:30:27 pm
  • Gotta have blue hair.
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2019, 11:19:38 am »
If you're using a JAMMA wired cabinet with an arcade CRT monitor and you send the signal through a J-PAC, you don't need to use Atom-15.  The J-PAC will divide out-of-range signals to protect the monitor.

But for people who aren't using a J-PAC, Atom-15 is probably a good idea.

Note that when using Atom-15 you cannot view the BIOS on most modern PC motherboards that use a high-res UEFI BIOS.

Though, it's not a huge deal.  You can always remove your Radeon card and use the on-board video connected to an LCD for accessing the BIOS.
Hantarex Polo 15KHz
Sapphire Radeon HD 7750 2GB (GCN)
GroovyMAME 0.197.017h_d3d9ex
CRT Emudriver & CRT Tools 2.0 beta 13 (Crimson 16.2.1 for GCN cards)
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Intel Core i7-4790K @ 4.8GHz
ASUS Z87M-PLUS Motherboard

Neilalphazeta

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2019, 11:35:54 am »

I’d highly recommend following the suggestion on the Atom-15 installation guide and go the MS-DOS USB thumb drive route.  I didn’t do some of the testing for compatibility with the lbios bios loader, and looks like I may have bricked my card by using ATIwinflash.

Oh my gosh, actually I just remembered that I tried ATIwinflash too and I got a message saying it wouldn't work at 800x600 resolutions or above (I was at 640x480), everything worked fine at this point but later after rebooting I got a dead image as shown in the other thread about the shifting issue. I've been blaming the retrotek but maybe I bricked the gpu, is that possible? Thanks for the advice either way, I'll learn the MSdos way rather than take chances. Did your gpu stop working entirely when it was bricked? (EDT: nevermind, I'm following your thread about it now)

Arroyo> thanks for the warning. I'll make sure I have all settings the way I want them before proceeding then.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2019, 11:50:25 am by Neilalphazeta »