Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Woozle's GBA Consolizer  (Read 6991 times)

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 07:31:21 pm
Woozle's GBA Consolizer
« on: January 16, 2019, 07:56:10 pm »
Anyone else here pre-order this kit before the holiday break?

https://www.game-tech.us/product/woozles-gba-consolizer-kit-40-pin/

This is something I've been hoping for awhile now. It's basically going to replace my Gamecube w/ gameboy player that's running hacked software (for fixing the input lag), since I only keep the GC around for GBA games these days.

It's also nice that it outputs HDMI, so one less need for upscaler support. I've been slowly phasing out the need to deal with RGB and upscaling.
Here's a list of features from the page:

Code: [Select]
Fine-tuned video output
720p digital video output**
GBA video at 60 Hz Vsync, absolutely no stutter or screen tearing!
Direct digital 4:4:4 RGB video from GBA
4x scale for GBA games, letterboxed in 1280×720 frame
5x scale for GB/GBC games, fills screen vertically with pillar boxes on side
No input lag.
Direct digital audio sent over HDMI at 48 KHz
On Screen Display (OSD) menu accessible by pushing select + down, featuring:
Adjustable strength scan lines and grid lines
32+ Game Boy color palettes, adjustable in game (PICS HERE)
Gamma/color correction provided via Shader menu option (PICS HERE)
Store user video settings in flash memory
Controller support
Wired SNES controller
Compatible with 8Bitdo Retro Receiver for use with:
8Bitdo wireless SNES controller
Wii U Pro controller
Switch Pro controller
3D printed enclosure
Full console conversion, LCD is replaced with HDMI module
USB powered, under 500 mA current draw. Can be powered from TV USB port.

I think this first batch is supposed to be shipping out in April, but I'm not sure when he's opening up another run.

opt2not

• Offline Offline
Re: Woozle's GBA Consolizer
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2019, 03:35:11 pm »
Just wanted to update you guys on this.

I received my kit last week, and ended up installing it this weekend. 
Pretty straight forward install for the non-full case version (dubbed the LCD kit). 

Just 2 parts, a break-out board that plugs into the GBA's ribbon cable for A/V, and for tapping the PCB for control inputs.  Then a second board that does the conversion and upscaling of the video signal (that's what sits in the attachment that sticks out of the GBA).
I ordered replacement black buttons and bumpers to match my black shell, I've got black start/select buttons on the way:

The install went relatively smooth, but there were a couple things that I messed up on that made me have to spend more time fixing. First, I didn't realize that Jason @ Game-TechUS included thin wires for you to use. I ended up using slightly thicker wires, and while it worked out ok, it's not ideal. The reason I didn't notice he included it in the kit was because there wasn't a list sheet of parts in the package, and also he packaged the wires in the same bag as the mounting parts, which was overlooked because you don't need those parts till the end of the install.
But no matter, it turned out fine. Also, I should mention he doesn't include the double-sided foam tape for mounting the break-out board, so you'll have to get that yourself.

The couple issues I had was, 1. I accidentally knocked a couple of the tiny surface-mount resistors near the clock crystal when I was removing it with my hot-air station. This was a big PITA as they're super tiny resistors, and it took me like an hour to get both of them back on the board. 2. When I put the case back on I didn't realize one of my shoulder button wires slipped onto the position right above the screw hole, so when I screwed the case on the screw put pressure on the wire, ripping the pad it was connected to. I had to go and scrap the trace connected to it to solder the wire back to that line. NOTE: Be very delicate with those pads. They're tiny and very easy to tear off, or overheat. I recommend using a lot of flux and try to be quick about apply heat.

The instructions on Game-TechUS's site is a bit scattered since he's supporting both the LCD kit and the Full Case kit. So some of the info is sort of mix and matched. Be sure to read the instructions very carefully, because you might miss something that is pertaining to one install from the other.
Also, I'd recommend checking out Voultar's full-case install video. For me, there were a couple things he did that relate to the LCD kit install, and his video is very clearly laid out. Game-tech's videos are a bit longer and kinda unorganized, but there is still a lot of the info there. You just got to be patient and watch more of his video to get it. Personally I didn't use Game-tech's videos (i'm impatient), I used his write-up descriptions and images on his site in conjunction with Voultar's install video.

How is the Consolizer, after everything's installed? ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC!!
Pics from my BenQ Zowie:

4x scale w/ Scanlines:

4x scale w/o scanlines:

4.5 scale (fills up the vertical space)

I love this thing. But I'm a crazy person who still likes to run real hardware. I'm well passed emulation at this point.

Would I recommend it?  Sure, but only if you're like me and likes using original hardware and likes to tinker with console mods.  It's expensive for what it is, but for me, I'm slowly removing the need of support from an upscaler, and I'm also happy to get rid of my Gamecube Gameboy Player dependency.
I might look into installing the DCHDMI into my Dreamcast next.

KenToad

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 12:46:35 am
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2019, 04:17:34 pm »
Thanks for the pictures and the write-up. This doesn't look like it will replace my Micro, but it's still amazing to see something like this produced as a kit.

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2019, 08:43:50 pm »
Lol, no this is not a replacement, at least it shouldn’t be treated as such. Especially for a Micro! Those things are sought after these days.

No this is great for the same usage as the Switch docking. I have a second GBA that’s back lit for the portability, but now the Consolizer allows me to continue my games on the big TV.
I love it. Especially for the Castlevania’s. Aria of Sorrow is such a great game, next best thing to Symphony of the Night!

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 12:46:35 am
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2019, 09:17:42 pm »
Aria is great. Overall, I think the game design of Aria of Sorrow is more solid than Symphony of the Night. I just got to the upside down castle finally recently and just kind of burned out on seeing the same scenery all over again, just flipped, although the new monsters and bosses are cool.

Osirus23

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 23, 2021, 01:33:52 pm
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2019, 06:47:49 pm »
$140 plus it practically involves destroying your GBA.

Hot damn am I glad I live in a reality where emulators exist.

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2019, 06:57:26 pm »

Well, I picked up a donor GBA for $20 for this mod. GBA's are cheap and plentiful, so I'm not worried about destroying them.

And it's $140 PLUS whatever your time and skills are worth in actually installing the kit.

So it's not that cheap to do.  But if you're a "crazy person" like me, who tries to avoid emulation at all costs, this is the kit for you! :D :lol  :o         :-[

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 16, 2024, 05:59:16 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2019, 08:18:08 pm »

Well it's nuts, but slightly less nuts than using a gamecube and $200 cables.  Then again they have new cables for around $100 now so why did you do this again?

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2019, 12:56:38 am »
They got new $100 component cables for GC? Link?

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 09:00:13 am
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2019, 01:46:58 am »
Hey man, I was impressed by this mod.  I enjoyed the hell out of my SP back into the day.  Didn’t you work on that Metroid game?

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2019, 02:42:19 am »
They got new $100 component cables for GC? Link?

Not component, hdmi:
https://zzblogs.wixsite.com/home

I think they are 99.99 atm and because the circuit that does the conversion is open source cheaper models keep popping up.  I wouldn't be surprised if they got down to $50 one day. 

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2019, 02:46:49 am »
Looks like another one has come out since I last looked:

https://insurrectionindustries.com/product/carby-version-2black/

Already down to $75.... that $50 mark is looking more likely.  If they drop any lower I'm going to have to get a gba player and setup a rig just for portables. 

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2019, 12:25:14 pm »
Hey man, I was impressed by this mod.  I enjoyed the hell out of my SP back into the day.  Didn’t you work on that Metroid game?
Lol no, I worked on the most hated one on the 3DS, Federation Force.

Looks like another one has come out since I last looked:

https://insurrectionindustries.com/product/carby-version-2black/

Already down to $75.... that $50 mark is looking more likely.  If they drop any lower I'm going to have to get a gba player and setup a rig just for portables. 
If you do go the GC Gameboy Player route, I’d recommend using the Game Boy Interface software instead of the OEM GBPlayer disk.
The original software has a LOT of input lag, and timing issues with games. This home brew software fixes all that, but it’s not official software and you need one of those Action Replay disks w/ SD card readers to run it.

This is part of the reason I wanted to go with the Consolizer. The GBPlayer setup is clunky and you need all these different parts in the setup to have a decent experience with it. The consolizer is cleaner, more accurate, and way less troublesome once the kit is installed.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2019, 08:01:52 pm »
I don't understand why someone hasn't made an add-on for the gba player that consolizes it instead.  From my understanding it's literally a box with gba guts inside of it.... seems like it should be doable to eliminate the gamecube part of the equation. 

But yeah it goes without saying that the homebrew software is better..... good luck finding a gba player with the disc anyway. 

Osirus23

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2019, 09:19:14 pm »
I bought a refurb GB Player direct from Nintendo's website back in 2008 for some really low price, around $25 I think. Glad I bought the stuff I wanted before YouTubers drove the price of it up to insane levels.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2019, 11:50:04 pm »
They are still pretty cheap, it's just they are so old now that it's hard to find one complete with disc.

Osirus23

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2019, 11:55:49 am »
XenoGC chips are dirt cheap and really easy to install if discs become too much of a problem.

thomas_surles

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 19, 2023, 07:20:00 pm
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2019, 12:32:55 pm »
XenoGC chips are dirt cheap and really easy to install if discs become too much of a problem.
Also the memory card sd adapter and an action replay