Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Control Panel Overlay Feedback  (Read 1364 times)

brewerdude

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 22, 2019, 01:35:37 am
Control Panel Overlay Feedback
« on: January 16, 2019, 06:22:37 pm »
Just finished creating this CPO for the cabinet I'm working on.  All constructive feedback appreciated.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 08:25:27 am
  • This plan is foolproof
Re: Control Panel Overlay Feedback
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2019, 08:11:17 pm »
It just looks like a bunch of arcade characters plastered on top of a generic Mame wallpaper. There is no cohesion to it.

I would start over with a simple background and either have arcade characters doing something together or eliminate them.

It never looks good when random characters are just cut and pasted onto artwork.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 16, 2024, 05:59:16 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2019, 07:00:15 am »
More importantly, you don't need all those admin buttons and that trackball is in a horrible place that will interfere with gameplay.  Those two issues effect both form and function.

TOMMYGUN

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 18, 2021, 04:44:53 am
  • When the time comes you will know
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2019, 07:55:00 am »
remove the characters remove the pointy arrows and replace the rings around the buttons with glow/paint spray move the trackball up and controlls down.

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 14, 2024, 05:47:24 pm
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2019, 09:09:31 am »
What's above Mario a spinner?  The panel is not very wide for all that stuff.  I'd suggest you forget about the artwork until you are sure you are not moving buttons around.  I made that mistake and have thrown away hours and hours of time spent on art.  The admin button thing is going to be your preference.  A lot of people don't like them and I built a bartop that had very few admin buttons and its getting to be a pain as much as I have to use the keyboard and if you use shift combinations that's great if you remember them but not so great for visitors using your cabinet.  Less admin buttons will look sharper but not always as easy to use.  I think it's a trade you need to decide.