Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Electrohome G07 fault [SOLVED]  (Read 2673 times)

Minwah

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 18, 2019, 05:03:20 am
    • MAMEWAH
Electrohome G07 fault [SOLVED]
« on: January 15, 2019, 10:49:48 am »
Hi all, long time no post!

In summer I got a cabinet which has an Electrohome G07. The monitor was working (although very hissy), but not the game so I couldn't test it fully. I cleaned up the monitor as best as I could, and replaced some parts as a precaution:

Cap kit
Flyback
HOT
Voltage regulator
R908
Adjustment pots (bar B+)

Checked the AC in voltage from the isolation transformer, set the B+ voltage, made the necessary colour / geometry / convergence tweaks.

I have only been running Galaxian on the monitor, and it has been working great (although still quite noisy). However I noticed recently with the game disconnected and the blank grey screen showing, there are some odd things going on - a line down the screen, some flickering (dulling), and 'black' occasionally briefly appearing. Most of these things were not visible with Galaxian running, perhaps as most of the screen is black. These symptoms have got worse to the point that rather than being generally ok, it is now never ok. It's doing all sorts of things, probably best summed up by this video:

https://twitter.com/minsoftgames/status/1084945976434089986

As you can see the grey/white that should cover the whole screen is either not present at all, or only partially there at times. It seems like perhaps something is failing?

Has anyone seen this before, or got an idea what I should check?
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 05:03:33 am by Minwah »

behrmr

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 23, 2021, 09:17:13 am
Re: Electrohome G07 fault
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2019, 04:06:35 pm »
It looks like your sync is not right.  Have you double checked your caps for rating and polarity? Have you taken into account that C302 polarity is incorrectly marked on the solder side of the board?  Is your video connected to the G07 correctly?  Post a pic or two of things including your video connector.   Galaxian is neg csync I believe so you should have the lower Red-Green-Blue-Ground-Empty-Empty and the upper should be Empty (or ground)-Sync-Sync.  make sure you plug isn't off by a pin.  Also you may be seeing some strange things because your screen control on the flyback is turned up way too high. 

Minwah

• Offline Offline
    • MAMEWAH
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2019, 04:18:04 am »
Many thanks for your reply!

It looks like your sync is not right.  Have you double checked your caps for rating and polarity? Have you taken into account that C302 polarity is incorrectly marked on the solder side of the board?

Yes to both. I will be taking the monitor out of the cabinet soon though, so will triple check!

Is your video connected to the G07 correctly?  Post a pic or two of things including your video connector.   Galaxian is neg csync I believe so you should have the lower Red-Green-Blue-Ground-Empty-Empty and the upper should be Empty (or ground)-Sync-Sync.  make sure you plug isn't off by a pin. 

Definitely connected correctly, with negative sync using the second 3-pin connector.

Also you may be seeing some strange things because your screen control on the flyback is turned up way too high.

I have turned the screen control up, because (in the video) no game is connected. The flickering bright white should cover the whole screen and be permanently visible.

Just to add - it has been working perfectly for 5 or 6 weeks, so I am sure everything is setup properly. It seems to me like something is failing (either a component or bad joint / connection?).

Since posting last, the 'white' part has gone permanently - ie no picture with the screen control in a normal position. The troubleshooting flowchart (https://www.docdroid.net/sz1Ix4g/electrohome-g07-article-and-flowcharts-by-randy-fromm-u.pdf) suggests checking X303 & X304, so will do so (& give the chassis a thorough check over) when I take the monitor out. Will post any progress once done...

Ken Layton

• Guru
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 12, 2021, 12:25:59 am
  • Technician
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2019, 12:01:15 pm »
Check resistors R516 (150k @ half watt) and R517 (180k @ half watt). If either one goes bad, you'll have a darker than normal picture. If they both go bad, you'll have a blank screen. Usually when they go bad, they either radically increase in value, or they go open circuit. You have to unsolder those resistors to test them or else you get false good readings if tested in-circuit.

Minwah

• Offline Offline
    • MAMEWAH
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2019, 12:08:01 pm »
Check resistors R516 (150k @ half watt) and R517 (180k @ half watt). If either one goes bad, you'll have a darker than normal picture. If they both go bad, you'll have a blank screen. Usually when they go bad, they either radically increase in value, or they go open circuit. You have to unsolder those resistors to test them or else you get false good readings if tested in-circuit.

Many thanks Ken. I will remove & test those when I take the chassis out.

Minwah

• Offline Offline
    • MAMEWAH
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2019, 04:38:29 am »
Check resistors R516 (150k @ half watt) and R517 (180k @ half watt).

Tested both of these - both ok (151k & 183k).

Also removed X303 & X304 - the latter tests bad. Will replace that and see what happens...

Minwah

• Offline Offline
    • MAMEWAH
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2019, 05:03:20 am »
Also removed X303 & X304 - the latter tests bad. Will replace that and see what happens...

Replaced X303 and X304 - problem solved! X304 had definitely failed but I replaced X303 too since I'd taken it out to test.