Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Static resolutions and Refresh rates.  (Read 1396 times)

Sociopathos

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 27, 2023, 08:31:42 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Static resolutions and Refresh rates.
« on: January 15, 2019, 12:58:25 pm »
Hello, I have a question regarding static resolutions and its refresh rates, whenever I create a mode on the user_modes.ini file, and set static resolutions, the refresh rates is never showed correctly on the arcade osd. For example, the resolution on MK games is 400x254 with a rr of 54.706, however, If I create this resolution with these exact same values, the refresh rate on arcadeosd is showed as 54,734. The same happens on the Capcom resolutions, which is 59.637, but it appears as 59.675. Is this normal or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks in advance.

Paradroid

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2024, 04:50:06 pm
    • SCART Hunter
Re: Static resolutions and Refresh rates.
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2019, 07:56:02 pm »
For example, the resolution on MK games is 400x254 with a rr of 54.706, however, If I create this resolution with these exact same values, the refresh rate on arcadeosd is showed as 54,734. The same happens on the Capcom resolutions, which is 59.637, but it appears as 59.675. Is this normal or am I doing something wrong?

My guess that this would be to do with dot clock granularity? Calamity will correct me if I'm wrong, but I seem to remember that one of the additional benefits of super-resolutions is increased accuracy in regards to refresh rates (related to the maths involved in modeline calculation and limits of modeline granularity).

Try creating 2560 × 254 @ 54.706 and see what you get back?
My MAME/SCART/CRT blog: SCART Hunter

haynor666

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:58:00 am
  • retro maniac
Re: Static resolutions and Refresh rates.
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2019, 05:05:57 am »
2560x254 does not make sense. Use 2560x256 just like in default super resolutions config file. Perfect timing is not possible. I never had expected frequency in system. Anyway the difference is not noticable.