Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: making a non portable app portable?  (Read 2342 times)

tony.silveira

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 17, 2024, 10:24:34 pm
    • my baby
making a non portable app portable?
« on: January 14, 2019, 06:19:19 pm »
hey guys,

i run into this issue all too often.  a reinstall of windows or this last tome, a windows update caused a bunch of emu controls to stop working and the thing they all gave in common is that they store some kk d if config file buried somewhere on my c drive.

so, is there any way to make a nonportable app portable?  force these apps that save something to the c drive to save them to where user defines?

thanks!

Osirus23

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 23, 2021, 01:33:52 pm
Re: making a non portable app portable?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2019, 11:07:14 am »
What software is this? There is no universal solution. I can't think of an installer that I've used that didn't prompt me to specify an install location.

However, install location (C or D drive like you said) isn't the issue with portability, the issue is if the installer writes anything to the registry or places its config files somewhere outside of its install folder, like the User Documents folder instead. It's stuff like that that will make an application non-portable.

DrakeTungsten

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 14, 2022, 06:36:45 pm
  • I effed with the wrong person!
    • No Quarter - a basic FE, WIP
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2019, 03:04:50 pm »
I've used (or at least sampled) dozens of emulators over the years, and one of the first things I do is try to make them portable. I have yet to run across one that I couldn't make at least sort-of portable. IIRC, the most work I've had to do is create an installation batch file (or shell script) to create a junction or link which maps some hard-coded directory to the location inside my portable directory structure where I keep the needed files. I only remember one emulator making use of the registry, so that usually isn't an issue. Which emulators are you using?

There are programs which take snapshots of your PC (registry and directory structure) for the purpose of comparing pre and post-install snapshots to see what changes an install made, but I have found them to be unreliable, and by the time they finish running, you probably could have consulted the emulator's documentation and applied some common sense to get the information you're looking for.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 03:16:18 pm by DrakeTungsten »
No Quarter - a basic FE, WIP

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 04:24:05 pm
  • Budgets are boring
    • newforum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,156267.0.html
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2019, 03:34:34 pm »
hey guys,

i run into this issue all too often.  a reinstall of windows or this last tome, a windows update caused a bunch of emu controls to stop working and the thing they all gave in common is that they store some kk d if config file buried somewhere on my c drive.

so, is there any way to make a nonportable app portable?  force these apps that save something to the c drive to save them to where user defines?

thanks!

Wont be portable in that you would have to do a one time reassign, however I have been using this as a solution for the controllers getting remapped on a computer restart or unplug and it’s working great:

https://www.reddit.com/r/RetroArch/comments/8wj03s/usb_device_id_change_on_reboot_breaking/

Haven’t tried it through an update but I imagine it should survive that.

keilmillerjr

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 06, 2023, 10:20:39 pm
  • Web Developer.
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2019, 07:52:02 am »
Turn off automatic updates.