Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Jakks Namco 5-in-1 Balltop to Spinner Knob Swap  (Read 1111 times)

retro4ever

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 15, 2019, 10:45:44 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Jakks Namco 5-in-1 Balltop to Spinner Knob Swap
« on: January 14, 2019, 02:26:24 am »
I did a search on this before and it seems like some people had posted up some questions about different kinds of mods for it. In my case, I just want to swap the yellow ball top with a spinner knob. However, since this is not a normal size joystick shaft I am unsure of the size and what kind of out of the box spinner knob (if any) would work. I basically want to make it into a mini dedicated Pole Position unit. I was thinking of getting the Ultimarc SpinTrak 6-1/4" Steering Wheel if that will fit it or can settle for a regular spinner knob as well.

For reference this is what I'm talking about:

I am open to other ideas as well.

Thanks.

processedmeat

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:58:07 pm
  • Ikeakade Here I come!
Re: Jakks Namco 5-in-1 Balltop to Spinner Knob Swap
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2019, 04:18:16 pm »
I've never taken it apart but this control is different from a spinner as it only allows you to twist by a certain amount and then it springs back to center.  A regular spinner can spin freely.  I'm not sure whatever the mechanism is inside would be able to handle the extra torque produced by putting a wheel on the shaft as well.  Also these Jakks being a Nintendo clones, I'm not sure if they can handle the input from a spinner since all you got are digital presses on a regular nintendo controller. 

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:58:57 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
Jakks Namco 5-in-1 Balltop to Spinner Knob Swap
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2019, 05:18:25 pm »
Yeah, it’s probably not going to work the way you want it to work.

I mean, you might be able to rig it so that the wheel turn the knob to the left or right, but it’s not going to spin like a Pole Position wheel.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2019, 05:25:01 pm by yotsuya »
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

ark_ader

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2019, 07:35:34 pm
  • I glow in the dark.
Re: Jakks Namco 5-in-1 Balltop to Spinner Knob Swap
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2019, 01:27:09 am »
I got one froma goodwill store, after taking it home it didn't work (naturally) so I was thinking of a pi mod.  There is a restrictor inside like a spring.  I guess you could modify it by adding a micro encoder but there is not enough room inside.  I guess you can 3d print the shell, stick a pi in it and add your spinner joy for less hassle then modding the actual unit.  Also beware of the Street fighter TV console and their ilk.  The main board is attached to the joy pad and it is stuck in there pretty good.  I picked a bunch over the holidays for $7 thinking I can mod them.  I guess someone got wise to it.
If I had only one wish, it would be for three more wishes.