Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: $250 How can I output RPI3B+ to show on two serperate monitors MAME / PunchOut!!  (Read 26067 times)

johnm

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 04, 2024, 03:05:24 pm

Your quest just might be that easier with the release of the new Raspberry Pi 4 with dual monitor support

https://shop.pimoroni.com/products/raspberry-pi-4

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:02:12 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!

Your quest just might be that easier with the release of the new Raspberry Pi 4 with dual monitor support

https://shop.pimoroni.com/products/raspberry-pi-4

Beat me to it!

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:58:22 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band

SJMarty

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 20, 2021, 06:50:07 pm
Came to claim the bounty but I'm late to the party.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

mrclean

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 10, 2022, 08:30:36 am
  • World Record Holder for Gun Smoke Dedicated & MAME
    • Guscade
That's different hardware (& NOT an RPI3B+ etc...), but I'm sure that the RPI4 will work for dual screen MAME games FINALLY being it has dual monitor / two separate micro HDMI outputs so excited !! This should allow easier set up for DUAL SCREEN games! I.E. Punch Out!! & Playchoice-10 !

things that I'll now need to likely buy :
New Raspberry Pi 4
2x type-D (micro) HDMI to VGA adapters
USB-C for the new power connector / newer power supply

I'd imagine it won't be backwards compatible with retropi currently etc going to likely be starting from scratch lol I'm really curious with the upgrades what wasn't possible on the rpi3b+ what games will now run 100% one the RPI4.

The cash Bounty is currently not compatible with the new Raspberry Pi 4 ... However I will say should I purchase the Rpi4 which I will & IF i can't figure it out on my own I will create a new bounty & It should in theory way easier being it has dual monitor support. This will probably be cool for all those guys that us dynamic displays etc... What a great feature that's finally here! 163 Days later since this thread was started, it seems the solution is on it's way ;-)
« Last Edit: June 24, 2019, 10:13:22 pm by mrclean »
2,370,650 Gun.Smoke

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
I haven’t been this happy on someone else’s behalf in years.

johnm

• Offline Offline

LOL did people actually think that they could claim the bounty just by posting the RPI4 was out, I posted because i thought it would help the OP :D

Looking at the size of the pi and how close the micro HDMI are i would think the adapters would be too tight and new cables would be better

mrclean

• Offline Offline
    • Guscade

Looking at the size of the pi and how close the micro HDMI are i would think the adapters would be too tight and new cables would be better

I don't use those type of adapters your probably thinking of I'm using a somewhat adapter / cable combo... so these should be fine:

Did they improve the PCB HOLES om the RPI4 for plastic pcb feet, or do I need to still drill them ?! I have one on the way so I'll find out soon enough. I'd be really excited to know how much of an improvement the emulation gets or compatibity of various mame games going from the rpi3b+ to the rpi4 will be. 1g 2g vs 4g. That's an entirely different thread as the Nintendo PC-10, Punch Out!! dual screens don't require that much. I'm curious about things that are somewhat playable or not at all on the rpi3b+ to having it run 100%. I'm sure those threads will pop up soon enough.

2,370,650 Gun.Smoke

SJMarty

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 20, 2021, 06:50:07 pm

LOL did people actually think that they could claim the bounty just by posting the RPI4 was out

My post was a intended to be amusing but it appears the humor was lost...

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

mrclean

• Offline Offline
    • Guscade
Got it.... Ended up getting the 2gb model which is probably overkill for Punch Out!!, Super Punch Out!!, Arm Wrestling, Nintendo Playchoice-10 etc but I figured I'd get the middle model for other game / performance testing however this one is pretty much just going to be for those older Dual Screen Games.

First thing I was curious about since I place these inside cabinets without cases, is did they improve the design (from the rpi3b+) so I don't need to drill larger holes on the PCB... they did NOT... still need to drill holes the screws / for the common PCB feet screws don't fit unless drilling larger holes:

I also noticed this solder packet was incredibly close to the metal on the pcb screw, I needed to use a nylon spacer, which I've done in the past for the rpi3b+ however the rpi4 looks like I now need to use 3x spacers as opposed to 2x previously not a big deal.

Here you can see I got 3x heat sinks that came with it , where are they supposed to be placed ? Is this correct ? I didn't stick the adhesive backing onto the spots you see in this photo just yet, but I'm pretty sure this is where they should be placed ?!:

Here you can see the NEW C-type power supply along with the adapters I'll need for the monitors I'm going to be using:

I haven't tried to insert my microSD card image from my RPI3B+, I'd be surprised if it works and is compatible with the RPI4, very likely I'll need to start from scratch and just rebuild. I did notice that on retropi's website : "The latest pre-made image of RetroPie is v4.4 – released April 14, 2018." I'm not sure if anyone tested that yet on the RPI4 yet but that's my next step...

And after reading this thread a bit : https://github.com/RetroPie/RetroPie-Setup/issues/2749

I'm going to likely need to wait for RetroPie v4.5
« Last Edit: July 02, 2019, 01:41:14 pm by mrclean »
2,370,650 Gun.Smoke

WingsFan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 01, 2019, 10:48:35 am
Currently Retropie won't work on the Pi 4 because of different drivers.  Shouldn't take long to get the drivers updated and a new version put out.

keilmillerjr

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 06, 2023, 10:20:39 pm
  • Web Developer.
Why wait? The new raspbian is out. Use my guide on my github if you need help setting up and compiling. Im not a fan of retropie anyways.

mrclean

• Offline Offline
    • Guscade
Why wait? The new raspbian is out. Use my guide on my github if you need help setting up and compiling. Im not a fan of retropie anyways.

That's just what I'm familiar / comfortable with & don't mind waiting. Retropie I agree isn't the greatest but once the foundation is down it's easy to change things around via network / WinSCP. This will likely be a single rom load for all the various Dual Screen games, possibly a Double Punch Out!! Back in the day I remember I used to compile MAME with all those "u" intermediate releases. I'm not in a major rush... I wonder how much modifying I'll need to do to get my other images the way I want them essentially converting them to RPI4 which as of now looks more like I'll need to start from scratch. Once I have a proper dual screen image running I'm happy, which is really the purpose of this thread. When I started this thread it's funny this was already in development / production seems like it will work perfectly for my purposes (time will tell). I'll worry about the rest of the games compatibility and performance improvements that's not my focus right now, down the line it will be a necessary evil though. 
2,370,650 Gun.Smoke

Substring

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 23, 2024, 02:35:43 pm
  • Forking GroovyArcade
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,160023.0.html
    • GroovyArcade active fork
Are you sure Retroarch can handle dual monitors?

mrclean

• Offline Offline
    • Guscade
Are you sure Retroarch can handle dual monitors?

I'm not really sure, I think they would incorporate / implement dual screen within the next build. I thought it already does monitor indexing. Regardless shouldn't really matter as we all already know the RPI4 Supports Dual Screens. The RPI4 in conjunction with MAME .139 AKA MAME2010 supports Dual Screen within MAME options. RetroPie compatibility for Raspberry Pi 4 / Buster will happen soon enough.
2,370,650 Gun.Smoke

ivwshane

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 24, 2022, 09:35:21 pm
    • My first mame cab! (WIP)

Where are you site is this guide located?

keilmillerjr

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 06, 2023, 10:20:39 pm
  • Web Developer.

Where are you site is this guide located?
Same username on github.

https://github.com/keilmillerjr/Raspberry-Pi-MAME-Setup-Guide

Url might change soon. Was thinking about combining repos and adding guides i already made for setting up mame on all operating systems i use. I also have my mame-diffs repo with diffs and precompiled binaries. Would make sense for all same repo. If i get an rpi4 and it can run newer mame, ill provide those binaries too.

mrclean

• Offline Offline
    • Guscade
I was sick and tired of waiting on the official RPI4 RetroPI software the last NEWS update not counting github was Sept. 6th 2019. I decided to get an unofficial release... I got RetroPi running on the RPI4 with another pre-made image & Still having issues with displaying dual screen (For PC-10 / Punch Out!! etc) which I know the RPI4 is capable of it's just a matter of software, or perhaps I just need to wait for the official release of retropi... this is what's happening:

Upon bootup I see one side is a rainbow, the other shows normal loading stuff:

After a few seconds both monitors display the scrolling retropi / linux startup text prior to loading emulation station:

After that, I launch the game Punch Out, and the monitor on the left hangs and freezes showing lrmame2010 on the right screen the game loads (the resoltion is wrong but that's not my main concern right now):

The hang / lrmame2010 screen shows this fbioput_vscreeninfo Invalid argument:

When exiting the game it shows retro pi working on the right and an error on the left:

The error on the left is invalid group 720 failed to find mixer elements :

The monitors (HAPP) LCD's both work fine
The adapters both work fine
The Rpi4 is working fine

It's a matter of probably a simple line of code / config file. Any one have any more insight into this ?
2,370,650 Gun.Smoke

meyer980

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 24, 2024, 04:54:50 pm
  • Building fun things for fun
    • sergiostuff.com/2020/04/15/felix-son-arcade-game/
    • Sergio Stuff
I don't have an answer for you but want to keep this thread alive since I'd like to do something similar. I've got plans to build a mini Nintendo Red Tent which I'm hoping could be powered by the Rpi4's dual out.

Yenome

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 24, 2024, 11:08:50 pm
  • Punch a fish. Make a wish
are you using hdmi for audio? try to force it to use hdmi if you havnt already.
My Gf made me put a sig up. /whipped

mrclean

• Offline Offline
    • Guscade
are you using hdmi for audio? try to force it to use hdmi if you havnt already.

I changed it to PCM audio but still having major issues. Again I'm using a preliminary build and that could be why. I think majority of the issues / errors are stemming from specifically RETROARCH / Emulation Station. When the RPi 4 boots up, dual screen works as it should until it hits emulation station. I'm wondering If I should just build it leaving out emulation station all together and just have lrmame2010, in theory that could actually work. I'm not sure if it would make any difference but I noticed no Advance MAME is NOT on it... I don't mind using lrmame2010 which I think it will work (But if it's dependent on RetroArch probably not).
« Last Edit: January 15, 2020, 09:25:03 pm by mrclean »
2,370,650 Gun.Smoke

mrclean

• Offline Offline
    • Guscade
It's been a while since I posted to this thread....This is now working on the RPI4 with dual monitors working as it should for Punch-Out!! Which means any dual monitor game should work (red tents, playchoice-10, arm wrestling, super punch out etc...). Haven't gone as far as to test it with other titles, but this is proof of concept that it works. It was done by another undisclosed member so I can't take the credit for having this cross the finish line but this thread is now finally complete.

2,370,650 Gun.Smoke

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 01:43:45 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
Did he get paid?

mrclean

• Offline Offline
    • Guscade
Did he get paid?

Yes paid..., I won't say the total dollar amount but it exceeded this threads bounty. To me was worth it since I tried as you can see from this thread & simply hit a brick wall ran out of time and patients in getting it to work. Other than the dual screen games I listed, what are other titles that had dual screen ?
2,370,650 Gun.Smoke

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
Nice. Good outcome for everyone.

mrclean

• Offline Offline
    • Guscade
Nice. Good outcome for everyone.

I'm proud of you Mike A, that's the most positive post I've seen by you yet.   :applaud:
2,370,650 Gun.Smoke

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
Then you haven't seen the hundreds of posts where I have helped people.

Or the threads where I have laser etched stuff for people and charged them only shipping.

Or the money I raised for a forum member who had a major medical incident.

Or the money I have donated to other forum members who needed it.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
I give credit and praise where it is due.

If you have a ---smurfy--- idea I will let you know.

If you want an honest response just ask me. Or don't. I will tell you anyways.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
Dude, that is amazing, I’m really happy this worked out for you.

Will you be sharing how to do it?

mrclean

• Offline Offline
    • Guscade
Dude, that is amazing, I’m really happy this worked out for you.

Will you be sharing how to do it?

I knew that question would come up rather quickly. For now I'll share one more pic... with the monitors installed inside the cabinet, looks more at home this way as opposed to me testing outside of the cabinet on my floor.  8)

2,370,650 Gun.Smoke

morton

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 23, 2021, 09:36:59 am
This is a killer outcome... I can say that playing on a cramped screen is not as fun as seeing it the way it should be done. Giving a cabinet new life like this through technology... this is why The RPi is so dang cool.

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:02:12 am
I got an RPI4 now.
this is now on my list of things to do while home.

BayouPinhead

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 06, 2020, 02:25:33 am
Very impressed! Anyway you could share some details? I have a cabinet without any boards and I’d love to spend this time off putting together a similar setup.. Thanks!

johnm

• Offline Offline

Good to see this got sorted :applaud:

toastbot

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 26, 2021, 11:11:02 am
[delete]

« Last Edit: September 23, 2020, 07:04:41 pm by toastbot »

toastbot

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 26, 2021, 11:11:02 am

mrclean

• Offline Offline
    • Guscade

That's cool and all but completely defeats the purpose of this thread. That's running it on a single monitor.
2,370,650 Gun.Smoke