Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up --- Bug Reports --- Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: $250 How can I output RPI3B+ to show on two serperate monitors MAME / PunchOut!!  (Read 3536 times)

johnm

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 25, 2019, 10:59:59 am

Your quest just might be that easier with the release of the new Raspberry Pi 4 with dual monitor support

https://shop.pimoroni.com/products/raspberry-pi-4

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 05, 2019, 08:22:21 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!

Your quest just might be that easier with the release of the new Raspberry Pi 4 with dual monitor support

https://shop.pimoroni.com/products/raspberry-pi-4

Beat me to it!

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 09:56:32 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
This forum needs more threads about Arcade 1Up cabinets.

SJMarty

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 22, 2019, 07:23:16 am
Came to claim the bounty but I'm late to the party.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

mrclean

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 12:12:26 pm
  • World Record Holder for Gun Smoke Dedicated & MAME
    • Guscade
That's different hardware (& NOT an RPI3B+ etc...), but I'm sure that the RPI4 will work for dual screen MAME games FINALLY being it has dual monitor / two separate micro HDMI outputs so excited !! This should allow easier set up for DUAL SCREEN games! I.E. Punch Out!! & Playchoice-10 !

things that I'll now need to likely buy :
New Raspberry Pi 4
2x type-D (micro) HDMI to VGA adapters
USB-C for the new power connector / newer power supply

I'd imagine it won't be backwards compatible with retropi currently etc going to likely be starting from scratch lol I'm really curious with the upgrades what wasn't possible on the rpi3b+ what games will now run 100% one the RPI4.

The cash Bounty is currently not compatible with the new Raspberry Pi 4 ... However I will say should I purchase the Rpi4 which I will & IF i can't figure it out on my own I will create a new bounty & It should in theory way easier being it has dual monitor support. This will probably be cool for all those guys that us dynamic displays etc... What a great feature that's finally here! 163 Days later since this thread was started, it seems the solution is on it's way ;-)
« Last Edit: June 24, 2019, 10:13:22 pm by mrclean »
2,370,650 Gun.Smoke

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 09:56:32 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
I havenít been this happy on someone elseís behalf in years.

This forum needs more threads about Arcade 1Up cabinets.

johnm

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 25, 2019, 10:59:59 am

LOL did people actually think that they could claim the bounty just by posting the RPI4 was out, I posted because i thought it would help the OP :D

Looking at the size of the pi and how close the micro HDMI are i would think the adapters would be too tight and new cables would be better

mrclean

• Offline Offline
    • Guscade

Looking at the size of the pi and how close the micro HDMI are i would think the adapters would be too tight and new cables would be better

I don't use those type of adapters your probably thinking of I'm using a somewhat adapter / cable combo... so these should be fine:

Did they improve the PCB HOLES om the RPI4 for plastic pcb feet, or do I need to still drill them ?! I have one on the way so I'll find out soon enough. I'd be really excited to know how much of an improvement the emulation gets or compatibity of various mame games going from the rpi3b+ to the rpi4 will be. 1g 2g vs 4g. That's an entirely different thread as the Nintendo PC-10, Punch Out!! dual screens don't require that much. I'm curious about things that are somewhat playable or not at all on the rpi3b+ to having it run 100%. I'm sure those threads will pop up soon enough.

2,370,650 Gun.Smoke

SJMarty

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 22, 2019, 07:23:16 am

LOL did people actually think that they could claim the bounty just by posting the RPI4 was out

My post was a intended to be amusing but it appears the humor was lost...

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

mrclean

• Offline Offline
    • Guscade
Got it.... Ended up getting the 2gb model which is probably overkill for Punch Out!!, Super Punch Out!!, Arm Wrestling, Nintendo Playchoice-10 etc but I figured I'd get the middle model for other game / performance testing however this one is pretty much just going to be for those older Dual Screen Games.

First thing I was curious about since I place these inside cabinets without cases, is did they improve the design (from the rpi3b+) so I don't need to drill larger holes on the PCB... they did NOT... still need to drill holes the screws / for the common PCB feet screws don't fit unless drilling larger holes:

I also noticed this solder packet was incredibly close to the metal on the pcb screw, I needed to use a nylon spacer, which I've done in the past for the rpi3b+ however the rpi4 looks like I now need to use 3x spacers as opposed to 2x previously not a big deal.

Here you can see I got 3x heat sinks that came with it , where are they supposed to be placed ? Is this correct ? I didn't stick the adhesive backing onto the spots you see in this photo just yet, but I'm pretty sure this is where they should be placed ?!:

Here you can see the NEW C-type power supply along with the adapters I'll need for the monitors I'm going to be using:

I haven't tried to insert my microSD card image from my RPI3B+, I'd be surprised if it works and is compatible with the RPI4, very likely I'll need to start from scratch and just rebuild. I did notice that on retropi's website : "The latest pre-made image of RetroPie is v4.4 – released April 14, 2018." I'm not sure if anyone tested that yet on the RPI4 yet but that's my next step...

And after reading this thread a bit : https://github.com/RetroPie/RetroPie-Setup/issues/2749

I'm going to likely need to wait for RetroPie v4.5
« Last Edit: July 02, 2019, 01:41:14 pm by mrclean »
2,370,650 Gun.Smoke

WingsFan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 17, 2019, 11:51:17 pm
Currently Retropie won't work on the Pi 4 because of different drivers.  Shouldn't take long to get the drivers updated and a new version put out.

keilmillerjr

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 03:45:00 pm
  • Web Developer.
Why wait? The new raspbian is out. Use my guide on my github if you need help setting up and compiling. Im not a fan of retropie anyways.

mrclean

• Offline Offline
    • Guscade
Why wait? The new raspbian is out. Use my guide on my github if you need help setting up and compiling. Im not a fan of retropie anyways.

That's just what I'm familiar / comfortable with & don't mind waiting. Retropie I agree isn't the greatest but once the foundation is down it's easy to change things around via network / WinSCP. This will likely be a single rom load for all the various Dual Screen games, possibly a Double Punch Out!! Back in the day I remember I used to compile MAME with all those "u" intermediate releases. I'm not in a major rush... I wonder how much modifying I'll need to do to get my other images the way I want them essentially converting them to RPI4 which as of now looks more like I'll need to start from scratch. Once I have a proper dual screen image running I'm happy, which is really the purpose of this thread. When I started this thread it's funny this was already in development / production seems like it will work perfectly for my purposes (time will tell). I'll worry about the rest of the games compatibility and performance improvements that's not my focus right now, down the line it will be a necessary evil though. 
2,370,650 Gun.Smoke

Substring

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 06:45:54 pm
Are you sure Retroarch can handle dual monitors?

mrclean

• Offline Offline
    • Guscade
Are you sure Retroarch can handle dual monitors?

I'm not really sure, I think they would incorporate / implement dual screen within the next build. I thought it already does monitor indexing. Regardless shouldn't really matter as we all already know the RPI4 Supports Dual Screens. The RPI4 in conjunction with MAME .139 AKA MAME2010 supports Dual Screen within MAME options. RetroPie compatibility for Raspberry Pi 4 / Buster will happen soon enough.
2,370,650 Gun.Smoke