Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: $250 How can I output RPI3B+ to show on two serperate monitors MAME / PunchOut!!  (Read 26084 times)

mrclean

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 10, 2022, 08:30:36 am
  • World Record Holder for Gun Smoke Dedicated & MAME
    • Guscade
Ultimately I'm looking to build a dedicated Dual Screen set up while using the RPI3B+ (Raspberry Pi 3b+ in conjunction with MAME .78 / Libretro / retroarch MAME .139 SET or on Raspberry Pi Libretro 2010). Is it capable / possible of outputting specifically for MAME .78MAME .139 SET or on Raspberry Pi Libretro 2010 with the following listed games (i.e. Punchout!! Super Punchout!! Arm Wrestling, Nintendo Playchoice 10) what settings within MAME libretro / retroarch is needed & or is additonal hardware needed to achieve this ?! I'm looking to use HDMI out from the Pi to VGA in on the monitors. (Both of the monitors have VGA inputs) Do I need to change settings within MAME if so how, and or do I need to purchase any type of adapters / cables etc

Currently my games are playing fine on a dedicated single monitor albeit on a horizontally orientated monitor or a vertically oriented monitor. The games above would be for a dedicated Dual horizontal setup with just those types of games. The game outputs two different images to two different screens. As an example :

I have access to SSH / WinSCP to modify the config files etc. I'm pretty confident this is achievable but I can't seem to find answers on how to do so.

**I'm going to offer a $50.00 Now $250 PayPal Bounty if someone can get this going how I described, Once I get it going 100% I will send you the $50.00 NOW $250 PayPal Bounty. Ideally someone can post for everyone to share this info in the future as I'm sure I'm not the only one looking to do this. In theory I can physically send out my RasperryPI3b+ / micro SD Card / Power Adapter / along with the GPIO to VGA adapter. I won't send two Monitors because it's too heavy and too expensive to ship etc.** Ideally I wouldn't need to send out my stuff and someone can properly walk me through it. I will only be paying one person the $50 NOW $250 bounty.** No external links to other sites, all done via BYOAC. I've been a member of BYOAC for just about 13 Years now so I'm not sure if that's something I can do in years past that knoweldge was provided for free, but I just want this done figure i'd put out some incentive. If i can't post this mods let me know... just trying to help out someone who's helping me etc.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2019, 10:25:20 pm by mrclean »
2,370,650 Gun.Smoke

ark_ader

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2019, 07:35:34 pm
  • I glow in the dark.
Its possible.  But with free PCs out there, why bother?  As I understand it, life is supposed to be made easy.  ::)
If I had only one wish, it would be for three more wishes.

mrclean

• Offline Offline
    • Guscade
Its possible. 

I'm pretty confident it's been done before. I've been searching a while and can't figure it out. I was hoping someone had a solution or insight as to what settings / and or hardware was needed to achieve this. Again I'm using raspberry Pi3b+

In conjunction with MAME / Libretro 2003 / Retroarch. MAME Set .78.

Dual screen setup anyone help ?!  :dunno
2,370,650 Gun.Smoke

ark_ader

• Offline Offline
  • I glow in the dark.
Its possible. 

I'm pretty confident it's been done before. I've been searching a while and can't figure it out. I was hoping someone had a solution or insight as to what settings / and or hardware was needed to achieve this. Again I'm using raspberry Pi3b+

In conjunction with MAME / Libretro 2003 / Retroarch. MAME Set .78.

Dual screen setup anyone help ?!  :dunno

Well if you insist.  You can drive a usb monitor (should be fast enough) or buy gpio vga.  Retroarch will recognize the second display,  not sure about emulationstation.  Lots of info on it on reddit. Gpio vga is the cheapest route.

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:02:12 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
I tried this last yr with attract mode looking to use a second monitor as a digital marquee.
the second display off the gertboard is framebuffer only.
no x console.
so I needed to use something that outputs directly to frambuffer.

I stopped there and didn't try using mame in that way so it may work.

mrclean

• Offline Offline
    • Guscade
Well if you insist.  You can drive a usb monitor (should be fast enough) or buy gpio vga.  Retroarch will recognize the second display,  not sure about emulationstation.  Lots of info on it on reddit. Gpio vga is the cheapest route.

I'm using two of the same 19'' VGA input monitors. they are not USB monitors thus I'll need to use GPIO to VGA. So I've seen those adapters that you speak of which I had no idea you can output video via the GPIO pins sounds promising... And they are relatively inexpensive as you describe.

I found this one (is this the right item I need?!) :

However it comes down to telling MAME / RetroArch / Libretro 2003 (again using MAME .78) the Raspberry Pi3b+ software what I want to do. What .ini / config / setting do I need to tell the Raspberry Pi3b+ to say ;

-Display 1 is the main lower picture (Monitor #1) via HDMI out on the Pi to VGA adapter
-Display 2 is the upper picture (Monitor #2) via GPIO out to VGA

Getting that adapter is one thing as far as the hardware that's needed, can any one walk me through the software end of things ?

I stopped there and didn't try using mame in that way so it may work.

I know MAME is capable of outputting to two seperate monitors just not sure if anyone has done this via RaspberryPi3b+ in conjunction with the set up I have.

**I'm going to offer a $50.00 PayPal Bounty if someone can get this going how I described, Once I get it going 100% I will send you the 50.00 PayPal Bounty. Ideally someone can post for everyone to share this info in the future as I'm sure I'm not the only one looking to do this. In theory I can physically send out my RasperryPI3b+ / micro SD Card / Power Adapter / along with the GPIO to VGA adapter. I won't send two Monitors because it's too heavy and too expensive to ship etc.** Ideally I wouldn't need to send out my stuff and someone can properly walk me through it. I will only be paying one person the $50 bounty.** No external links to other sites, all done via BYOAC. I've been a member of BYOAC for just about 13 Years now so I'm not sure if that's something I can do in years past that knoweldge was provided for free, but I just want this done figure i'd put out some incentive. If i can't post this mods let me know... just trying to help out someone who's helping me etc.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2019, 07:57:15 pm by mrclean »
2,370,650 Gun.Smoke

keilmillerjr

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 06, 2023, 10:20:39 pm
  • Web Developer.
Start with Gert VGA 666. Buy it from a distributor who prebuilds them. You can not use hdmi and rca at the same time, but I believe you could use one of the two with usb or gpio solutions. You will need to set up a second frame buffer in the firmware config. Not sure on the parameter to pass to mame. I have compiled current mame on raspbian lite with rPi 3b+. It’s slow. Compiled AdvanceMAME. It runs fine. It’s based on mame 0.106. Check if it has multi monitor support. If not, you need a pc.

mrclean

• Offline Offline
    • Guscade
Start with Gert VGA 666. Buy it from a distributor who prebuilds them. You can not use hdmi and rca at the same time, but I believe you could use one of the two with usb or gpio solutions.

Yep this I was aware of, but thanks for posting / contributing to the thread.

You will need to set up a second frame buffer in the firmware config. Not sure on the parameter to pass to mame. I have compiled current mame on raspbian lite with rPi 3b+. It’s slow. Compiled AdvanceMAME. It runs fine. It’s based on mame 0.106. Check if it has multi monitor support. If not, you need a pc.

Again, I'm looking to do this with MAME set .78 Libretro 2003 / RetroArch. Is that possible ? IF that version does not support dual screens i'd be using .159 Libretro 2014. / RetroArch, Raspberry Pi3b+. I'm not intending on using a PC, it's RPi3B+ or bust.

Any one else familiar with setting up this way with ;
rpi3b+
MAME 2003/ .78 SET
Libretro
RetroArch
Two VGA monitors
PC-10 or PunchOut!! / Arm Wrestling / Super PunchOut!!

What do I need to modify for this to work using hdmi to vga in (obviously just need an adapter single monitor works fine as it should) and in conjunction use the GPIO pins to output to VGA to a secondary monitor. I have access to WinSCP / The MAME ini files which ones need to get changed, does the pi settings need to have a change or strictly MAME ?!
2,370,650 Gun.Smoke

ark_ader

• Offline Offline
  • I glow in the dark.
Use that $50 paypal and get a used PC off Newegg.  Or if you are not into that, you could get some tweezers and start pulling your hairs out of legs/ears/nose/whatever is painful to you as this is all you are going to get.  Don't get me wrong, the pi is great but what you are asking for is next to stupid.

Do us all a favor and get this.   :cheers:

mrclean

• Offline Offline
    • Guscade
Use that $50 paypal and get a used PC off Newegg.  Or if you are not into that, you could get some tweezers and start pulling your hairs out of legs/ears/nose/whatever is painful to you as this is all you are going to get.  Don't get me wrong, the pi is great but what you are asking for is next to stupid.

Do us all a favor and get this.   :cheers:

I don't think what I'm asking is next to stupid. Regardless of your opinion I'm still looking for anyone  who can / know how to get this going as I had explained in a previous post. I don't want to use windows nor anything with a HDD. Appreciate an alternative but I'm certain this can be done with Rpi3b+. 
2,370,650 Gun.Smoke

JDFan

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 21, 2023, 04:07:42 pm
Appreciate an alternative but I'm certain this can be done with Rpi3b+.

Think this article sums it up fairly well ( https://www.androidcentral.com/can-you-use-multiple-monitors-raspberry-pi-3-b )  :

Best answer: Yes you can use two displays with a Raspberry Pi, but you will need to buy some other components depending on how you want to use those displays. You'll need an adapter with a DisplayLink chip or a VGA666 Adapter to use it as a true secondary monitor. You should also know in advance: this isn't easy to set up.

And concludes with :

Not for the faint of heart

As you can tell, the Raspberry Pi wasn't really designed to be used with more than one display. Clever folks have found ways to make it happen, but they aren't ideal and may be more than you're willing to undertake.

A Raspberry Pi is a great little device for a lot of things — including a miniature desktop PC — but it lacks the power and ports to do everything. Sometimes, you just have to go bigger. Just make sure you know what you're doing first.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 09:46:52 pm by JDFan »

ark_ader

• Offline Offline
  • I glow in the dark.
Appreciate an alternative but I'm certain this can be done with Rpi3b+.

Think this article sums it up fairly well ( https://www.androidcentral.com/can-you-use-multiple-monitors-raspberry-pi-3-b )  :

Best answer: Yes you can use two displays with a Raspberry Pi, but you will need to buy some other components depending on how you want to use those displays. You'll need an adapter with a DisplayLink chip or a VGA666 Adapter to use it as a true secondary monitor. You should also know in advance: this isn't easy to set up.

And concludes with :

Not for the faint of heart

As you can tell, the Raspberry Pi wasn't really designed to be used with more than one display. Clever folks have found ways to make it happen, but they aren't ideal and may be more than you're willing to undertake.

A Raspberry Pi is a great little device for a lot of things — including a miniature desktop PC — but it lacks the power and ports to do everything. Sometimes, you just have to go bigger. Just make sure you know what you're doing first.

Thanks for reiterating what I posted above.  We post on this board to guide others to personal discovery, lazy people are discouraged by this fact.  We are not here to be exploited.  I do not get out of bed for less than $250 and it is true fact that I do not need $250.

I also like a challenge, and at the same time do not like headaches.  I think it would be best if the OP tries out these two methods and a possible third method using splashtop.  Same as usb and might have lag.  Fourth method, slave via pizero.

OP: Now go research these topics and learn from the experience. 
Come back when you got it working and share your results.   :)
« Last Edit: January 19, 2019, 10:57:55 am by ark_ader »

ark_ader

• Offline Offline
  • I glow in the dark.
This should be a great start: http://matthewepler.github.io/2016/01/05/piwall.html

Actually I was thinking about the display interface for touch screens, but for pizero(w) $5 or $10 for wifi.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzugiINb3Zo&feature=youtu.be
« Last Edit: January 19, 2019, 12:56:57 pm by ark_ader »

mrclean

• Offline Offline
    • Guscade
Upping the BOUNTY TO $100.

Single RPI3B+
Monitor 1 (VGA in) - HDMI out to VGA
Monitor 2 (VGA in) Adapter Gert 666 GPIO to VGA or USB to VGA
MAME .78 set (2003 Libretro RetroArch) or MAME .159 set (2014 Libretro / RetroArch)
Dual screen out for PunchOut!! / Arm Wrestling / PC-10 Dual Screen / Super PunchOut!!

Again to reiterate : What do I need to modify for this to work using hdmi to vga in (obviously just need an adapter single monitor works fine as it should) and in conjunction use the GPIO pins to output to VGA to a secondary monitor. I have access to WinSCP / The MAME ini files which ones need to get changed, does the pi settings need to have a change or strictly MAME ?!

What parameters settings do I need to change ?

BOUNTY IS GOING UP!
Anyone want to make $100.00 / Collect this Bounty to get this going as I described via PayPal, NO PC's, no HDD's must work with the above configuration, No external links! PayPal payment to one person who gets this going on my rpi3b+!
2,370,650 Gun.Smoke

barrymossel

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 29, 2021, 11:25:52 am
  • Spectrum
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,157647.0.html
Pffff, I don't get why you are so stubborn, and why you even want to pay money for this. But ok, whatever. First try to get two monitors working on Raspbian. Apparently the driver is included nowadays. So you should get two monitors working through quite easily. Next step would be setting up MAME/RetroArch.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2019, 12:26:53 pm by barrymossel »

keilmillerjr

• Offline Offline
  • Web Developer.
I already told you where to start. I don’t know why you continue to go on.

mrclean

• Offline Offline
    • Guscade

Purchased a VGA GERT666 GPIO to VGA adapter and on it's way...

I can't test it yet again I'm using this on Rapsberry Pi 3b+, someone mentioned that the drivers are already present etc. Also to note I've seen this posted within the instructions which is confusing to me as to this, do I just cut and paste this into the config.txt file:

Technology Support:
Edit /boot/config.txt file with vim.tiny or other editor. and modify as following:
framebuffer_width=800
framebuffer_height=600
dpi_group=2
device_tree=bcm2710-rpi-3-b.dtb
dpi_mode=86
dtparam=i2c_arm=off
dtparam=spi=off
dtparam=uart0=off
dtparam=uart1=off
dtoverlay=pi3-disable-bt-overlay
dtoverlay=vga666
enable_dpi_lcd=1
display_default_lcd=1
force_pwm_open=0
dtparam=audio=on
start_x=1
gpu_mem=128
Note: Please disable the functions of all the GPIO Pins so that it can work properly, 800x600
resolution is highly recommended as higher resolution will slow down your Pi and cost more
RAM Is this just overriding the HDMI the way this is setup ? I want obviously both HDMI out to VGA and GPIO to VGA in order for it to display on both monitors

Next step would be setting up MAME/RetroArch.

What exactly do I need to modify no ones given me definitive instructions within this entire thread on how to do so. Also have not gotten a response to will this setup work in conjunction with MAME Libretro 2003 .78 or Do I need to use MAME .159 aka Libretro 2014 / RetroArch/ if so what needs to be changed within the parameters of the .ini / config files... yet still not one person posted that.

I simply need to know where the "file / config / ini" for MAME what version I need to use for it to work, what needs to be modified for this to work, I'm only using this for the Dual Screen Games and NO other games will be present on the machine. I have access to WinSCP / can connect and modify the .txt / .ini files via notepad++ overwifi / network. I can't modify anything IF i don't know exactly what I need to modify to get this working.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2019, 09:31:54 pm by mrclean »
2,370,650 Gun.Smoke

ark_ader

• Offline Offline
  • I glow in the dark.

Purchased a VGA GERT666 GPIO to VGA adapter and on it's way...

I can't test it yet again I'm using this on Rapsberry Pi 3b+, someone mentioned that the drivers are already present etc. Also to note I've seen this posted within the instructions which is confusing to me as to this, do I just cut and paste this into the config.txt file:

Technology Support:
Edit /boot/config.txt file with vim.tiny or other editor. and modify as following:
framebuffer_width=800
framebuffer_height=600
dpi_group=2
device_tree=bcm2710-rpi-3-b.dtb
dpi_mode=86
dtparam=i2c_arm=off
dtparam=spi=off
dtparam=uart0=off
dtparam=uart1=off
dtoverlay=pi3-disable-bt-overlay
dtoverlay=vga666
enable_dpi_lcd=1
display_default_lcd=1
force_pwm_open=0
dtparam=audio=on
start_x=1
gpu_mem=128
Note: Please disable the functions of all the GPIO Pins so that it can work properly, 800x600
resolution is highly recommended as higher resolution will slow down your Pi and cost more
RAM Is this just overriding the HDMI the way this is setup ? I want obviously both HDMI out to VGA and GPIO to VGA in order for it to display on both monitors

What exactly do I need to modify no ones given me definitive instructions within this entire thread on how to do so. Also have not gotten a response to will this setup work in conjunction with MAME Libretro 2003 .78 or Do I need to use MAME .159 aka Libretro 2014 / RetroArch/ if so what needs to be changed within the parameters of the .ini / config files... yet still not one person posted that.

I simply need to know where the "file / config / ini" for MAME what version I need to use for it to work, what needs to be modified for this to work, I'm only using this for the Dual Screen Games and NO other games will be present on the machine. I have access to WinSCP / can connect and modify the .txt / .ini files via notepad++ overwifi / network. I can't modify anything IF i don't know exactly what I need to modify to get this working.

As I understand it the GPIO-VGA maxes out at 800x600, which you would have to reduce the HDMI memory on the PI, but in reality you would want 320x240 resolution for the above punch out display.

Make sure you get a 5v 2.5a power supply.  Let us know how you get on.

barrymossel

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 29, 2021, 11:25:52 am
  • Spectrum
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,157647.0.html

Apparently no-one has done this on a Raspberry Pi, so no-one apparently has the definitive answer. If you really want this, you should try a little harder yourself I guess.

mrclean

• Offline Offline
    • Guscade
Wait for your VGA GERT666 GPIO to VGA adapter to arrive.

I'm still waiting patiently for it, although my tracking for it says "Flight landed in destination country". I figured I'd get a jump on what to do when it arrives.

I'm seriously shocked no ones used a single Raspberry Pi for MAME using dual screens ?! .... I find that hard to believe. 

Google some more on how this dual screen works on Windows Mame and see if this works for Linux (RetroPie) as well.

I did use google and still can't figure it out thus why I started a thread on BYOAC  directly within the Raspberry Pi sub forum for this very reason asking for help not LMGTFY. This link you provided (to which I've come across prior to posting this):
https://www.gameex.info/forums/topic/7958-running-mame-on-secondary-monitor/

It has a 2nd link within the thread which leads to a dead link. https://www.mamedev.org/source/docs/windows.txt.html

Within that thread on the GAMEEX Forum it talks about: # PER-WINDOW VIDEO OPTIONS Where can I find that using MAME .78 / Libretro 2003 / RetroArch !? Where is the MAME .INI or video options needed to change where in SSH can I find where that config file is. Also no ones answered can I even use what I'm looking to accomplish with MAME .78 Libretro 2003 / RetroArch or do I need to use MAME .159 Libretro 2014 / RetroArch.

Again I'm using a Raspberry Pi3b+
VGA GERT666 GPIO to VGA adapter (awaiting on hardware)
HDMI to VGA adapter (works perfectly on single monitor games)
Libretro 2003 / MAME Set .78
RetroArch

Also to note this is for a SINGLE LOAD / boot ROM (No menus / no front ends etc) . I.E:
Punch Out!!
Super Punch Out!!
PC-10
Arm Wrestling

*The single load is fine where that it will load to just one game / rom that I want it to with a proper psuedo shutdown etc. my entire focus is getting any of the above games to be properly split to their two respective 19'' monitors displaying different pictures as they were originally intended to do so. I'm sure other people will benefit or want to do exactly what I'm looking to accomplish. If someone wants to PM me the info no problem like I said I'm still placing the bounty on it. If someone wants to help and post it publicly great!

« Last Edit: January 30, 2019, 10:14:48 pm by mrclean »
2,370,650 Gun.Smoke

keilmillerjr

• Offline Offline
  • Web Developer.
I do not use retropie, so I have no idea. I use a distro without a GUI and compiled myself. Use the find command in the terminal to find the file you are looking for. People have used dual screens on the pi. A two second search yielded that. I can’t give you an answer because I don’t have the product to test, so it’s pointless. Hold your britches and wait until you can trial and error your way through it when the gert vga666 arrives. This is a project. No one is going to do it for you.

mrclean

• Offline Offline
    • Guscade
I do not use retropie, so I have no idea. I use a distro without a GUI and compiled myself. Use the find command in the terminal to find the file you are looking for. People have used dual screens on the pi. A two second search yielded that. I can’t give you an answer because I don’t have the product to test, so it’s pointless. Hold your britches and wait until you can trial and error your way through it when the gert vga666 arrives. This is a project. No one is going to do it for you.

I DON'T KNOW WHAT FILE I'M LOOKING FOR !! Although I'm pretty certain its a config file to which one and where it's located I have no idea. Again to reiterate I'm using a single MAME ROM / LOAD to JUST one rom, IT loads PERFECTLY on a single monitor. The purpose of this thread is to have it split to it's respective two monitors. I don't need to use any other stuff other than MAME just one single ROM etc / This is going inside a dedicated cabinet. It doesn't necessarily need to use retropi but as of now that's what I'm utilizing.

**I'm Still looking for help with someone whose successfully gotten this to work using the following parameters. I have YET to get confirmation if this can be used with this set up :MAME .78 OR do I need to use MAME 2014 / .159 SET ? / Libretro 2003 / RetroArch !? Where is the MAME .INI or video options needed to change where in SSH can I find where that config file is. Also no ones answered can I even use what I'm looking to accomplish with MAME .78 Libretro 2003 / RetroArch or do I need to use MAME .159 Libretro 2014 / RetroArch.

Again I'm using a Raspberry Pi3b+
VGA GERT666 GPIO to VGA adapter (awaiting on hardware)
HDMI to VGA adapter (works perfectly on single monitor games)
Libretro 2003 / MAME Set .78
RetroArch

Also to note this is for a SINGLE LOAD / boot ROM (No menus / no front ends etc) . I.E:
Punch Out!!
Super Punch Out!!
PC-10
Arm Wrestling

*The single load is fine where that it will load to just one game / rom that I want it to with a proper psuedo shutdown etc. my entire focus is getting any of the above games to be properly split to their two respective 19'' monitors displaying different pictures as they were originally intended to do so. I'm sure other people will benefit or want to do exactly what I'm looking to accomplish. If someone wants to PM me the info no problem like I said I'm still placing the bounty on it. If someone wants to help and post it publicly great!

« Last Edit: February 01, 2019, 03:15:52 pm by mrclean »
2,370,650 Gun.Smoke

keilmillerjr

• Offline Offline
  • Web Developer.
You don’t know what file you are looking for? Do I have to quote you where you said what file you are looking for? :dunno :dizzy:

If your looking for single boot, I created a guide you can follow. It includes everything you should need except the second monitor. You will need to refer to the gert repo for setting that up, then do some research on mame commands for screen parameters.

If you need more help, you can always pm me a way for contact.

mrclean

• Offline Offline
    • Guscade
You don’t know what file you are looking for? Do I have to quote you where you said what file you are looking for? :dunno :dizzy:

If your looking for single boot, I created a guide you can follow. It includes everything you should need except the second monitor.

Already stated above, I have a single boot running perfectly with virtually any game on a single monitor.

PM sent... Yes I do need more help, ive tried various settings / options don't understand how to get this to work properly on two separate screens using the gert666 / MAME 2003 Libretro .78 MAME set / RetroArch / Rpi3b+.

Again just looking for a dual screen game to properly output to two separate monitors the way it was originally intended to do so while using hdmi to vga for one monitor (the main image bottom picture), and gert666 (gpio / vga out to vga in) on the second monitor. I know this is doable just don't know which config file / setting that needs to get changed.
2,370,650 Gun.Smoke

ark_ader

• Offline Offline
  • I glow in the dark.

If your looking for single boot, I created a guide you can follow. It includes everything you should need except the second monitor.

Already stated above, I have a single boot running perfectly with virtually any game on a single monitor.

PM sent... Yes I do need more help, ive tried various settings / options don't understand how to get this to work properly on two separate screens using the gert666 / MAME 2003 Libretro .78 MAME set / RetroArch / Rpi3b+.

Again just looking for a dual screen game to properly output to two separate monitors the way it was originally intended to do so while using hdmi to vga for one monitor (the main image bottom picture), and gert666 (gpio / vga out to vga in) on the second monitor. I know this is doable just don't know which config file / setting that needs to get changed.

Did that gpio vga adapter arrive from China yet?  Does it mess up the HDMI output when used at the same time?

Why don't you PM Haze and see if he can get it working for you.

mrclean

• Offline Offline
    • Guscade
Why don't you PM Haze and see if he can get it working for you.

Yes I have 2x of them which arrived & still willing to send one out along with my pi / single load rom setup etc,
Sent a PM to David aka Haze, awaiting his response.

This was done 4 years ago, not sure if it was Raspberry Pi probably not, but gives me hope.

Interestingly enough I also came across this old thread on BYOAC about dual screen gert666 using raspberry
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,141660.0.html

forum member stated "I did.

but as dual output.
I have a primary monitor on hdmi for gameplay and menu and on gert vga666 a secondary for output of dynamic marquee.

This is not by default supported by debian or mame4all-pi but I wrote a library that uses a liw level graphics api (dispmanx) that is capable to do graphics on gert vga while hdmi is still primary."
2,370,650 Gun.Smoke

keilmillerjr

• Offline Offline
  • Web Developer.
Kernel 4.0.8 and pi firmware support vga666 by july 13 2015. Be sure your running this. Never know when using other peoples images. Add firmware config and then use tvservice to test. Next step would be seeing if mame will do two frame buffers with gles? I’d use 0.106.

mrclean

• Offline Offline
    • Guscade
OK so I'm making somewhat progress on this for testing purposes I'm using my 65'' LCD (HDMI) & a 19'' LCD (VGA):

Firstly I tested the Gert666 VGA Adapter and it will output to the monitor an image fine so I know the Gert666 adapter is working, I know the vga cable is fine, I know the 2nd LCD monitor is fine. I can also output HDMI to my other monitor never had an issue with that in the first place. This was prior to any settings:

However here's where I'm still hitting a snag, I can't seem to get them to work simultaneously together to display two different or even the same images. Also to note I'm now using MAME .139 SET or on Raspberry Pi Libretro 2010. The Rom / Game loads fine. At this point it's probably a simple setting but making progress....

Within the on-screen video options of MAME .139 via TAB I can switch the top and bottom monitor image to only one screen.

Here it's showing the GERT666 adapter working but I can't get two different images to display or really even the same image simultaneous the other monitor goes blank and vice versa;

These are my Raspberry config.txt within boot settings (Does anyone see any issues with this ? Is it correct etc do I need to tell MAME anything in the config file for .139 / Libretro 2010 / Retroarch ?) :

#Gert's VGA666
dtoverlay=vga666
enable_dpi_lcd=1
display_default_lcd=0

#Monitor Number 2
dpi_group=2
dpi_mode=16

*ALSO Since I updated emulationstation / it's now asking me for login / password at the terminal for some odd reason, but I'm not as concerned with that my focus is getting dual screen to properly display as it should using the gert666 / now MAME .139 / Libretro MAME2010 / RetroArch
2,370,650 Gun.Smoke

mrclean

• Offline Offline
    • Guscade
OK found the .139 / Libretro 2010 mame.ini located here: /home/pi/RetroPie/roms/arcade/mame2010

<UNADORNED0>

#
# CORE CONFIGURATION OPTIONS
#
readconfig                1
writeconfig               0

#
# CORE STATE/PLAYBACK OPTIONS
#
state                     
autosave                  0
playback                 
record                   
mngwrite                 
aviwrite                 
wavwrite                 
snapname                  %g/%i
snapsize                  auto
snapview                  internal
burnin                    0

#
# CORE PERFORMANCE OPTIONS
#
autoframeskip             1
frameskip                 0
seconds_to_run            0
throttle                  1
sleep                     1
speed                     1.0
refreshspeed              0

#
# CORE ROTATION OPTIONS
#
rotate                    1
ror                       0
rol                       0
autoror                   0
autorol                   0
flipx                     0
flipy                     0

#
# CORE ARTWORK OPTIONS
#
artwork_crop              0
use_backdrops             1
use_overlays              1
use_bezels                1

#
# CORE VECTOR OPTIONS
#
antialias                 1
beam                      1.0
flicker                   0

#
# CORE SOUND OPTIONS
#
sound                     1
samples                   1
volume                    0

#
# CORE INPUT OPTIONS
#
coin_lockout              1
ctrlr                     
mouse                     1
joystick                  1
lightgun                  1
multikeyboard             0
multimouse                0
steadykey                 0
offscreen_reload          0
joystick_map              auto
joystick_deadzone         0.3
joystick_saturation       0.85
natural                   0
uimodekey                 auto

#
# CORE INPUT AUTOMATIC ENABLE OPTIONS
#
paddle_device             keyboard
adstick_device            keyboard
pedal_device              keyboard
dial_device               keyboard
trackball_device          keyboard
lightgun_device           keyboard
positional_device         keyboard
mouse_device              mouse

#
# CORE DEBUGGING OPTIONS
#
log                       0
verbose                   0
update_in_pause           0
debug                     0
debugscript               
debug_internal            0

#
# CORE MISC OPTIONS
#
bios                     
cheat                     0
skip_gameinfo             0

#
# WINDOWS VIDEO OPTIONS
#
video                     d3d
numscreens                2
window                    0
maximize                  1
keepaspect                1
prescale                  1
effect                    none
waitvsync                 0
syncrefresh               0

#
# PER-WINDOW VIDEO OPTIONS
#
screen                    \\.\DISPLAY2
aspect                    auto
resolution                auto
view                      \\.\DISPLAY2
screen0                   \\.\DISPLAY1
aspect0                   auto
resolution0               auto
view0                     \\.\DISPLAY1
screen1                   \\.\DISPLAY2
aspect1                   auto
resolution1               auto
view1                     \\.\DISPLAY2
screen2                   auto
aspect2                   auto
resolution2               auto
view2                     auto

Still same issue can't get it to display on two different screens... Any help with this ? or see anything obviously wrong within my .ini settings ?
2,370,650 Gun.Smoke

newmanfamilyvlogs

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 15, 2022, 05:20:38 pm
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,103584.msg1096585.html#msg1096585
    • Newman Family Vlogs
So changing it to "dual over under" in that display menu doesn't do anything?

mrclean

• Offline Offline
    • Guscade

That just places the two respective originally seperate monitors into one screen shrinking each image so that both screens fit into one. forgetting about MAME I can't seem to get Gert666 vga in conjunction / Simultaneously with HDMI to have dual screen function working outside of MAME.
2,370,650 Gun.Smoke

keilmillerjr

• Offline Offline
  • Web Developer.

That just places the two respective originally seperate monitors into one screen shrinking each image so that both screens fit into one. forgetting about MAME I can't seem to get Gert666 vga in conjunction / Simultaneously with HDMI to have dual screen function working outside of MAME.

Your not going to get an extended desktop out of the box.

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=213854

fgh

• Online Online
  • Last login:Today at 04:25:33 pm
If a matrox dualhead2go is within your budget it should work (with mame layouts).
It can work without drivers so I suppose it will work on your pi.

VGA version is obsolete and super cheap second hand, but I’m not sure it would work on a pi.
IIRC there is a dvi or hdmi version as well.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2019, 05:50:06 pm by fgh »

itsdanik

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2019, 03:36:38 pm
Gert's VGA module's output is analog and the whole thins is passive, so there's no such thing as "what each pin does":
It's simply 18 pins for analog RGB output (6 bits for each color, hence "666"), plus 2 pins for H/V sync, plus ground. That's all there is to it.

Fun Fact: (this info is all available in Gert's github page which is the second result you get when you google "GERT VGA666" - the first being the shop at which it is sold)  :cheers:

I doubt you're gonna get two screens simultaneously by simply tweaking MAME options and configuration files without writing or at least editing and recompiling the driver (and also recompile the kernel). Most 'raspberrypi2jamma" boards (there are quite a few out there) are based on VGA666 to drive CRT monitors and Michael Vencio's resolution switching scripts use HDMI timings, so obviously can't have both HDMI and VGA666 out-of-the-box. This is a whole project and $100 is not going to cut it for anyone. If anyone were to build something like this, he would make and sell his own PCBs  ;D ;D
« Last Edit: March 11, 2019, 03:36:38 pm by itsdanik »

mrclean

• Offline Offline
    • Guscade
Anyone figure this out yet ?  :dunno

1x Rpi3B+
1x Gert666
2x Independent Monitors working simultaneously displaying proper respecitve images from PC10 / Punch Out etc
hdmi to vga input (Monitor 1)
gert 666/vga to vga (Monitor 2)
2,370,650 Gun.Smoke

mrclean

• Offline Offline
    • Guscade

Another Month has gone past, any one get this working ? or can help me with dual screen support on the rpi3b+.

Again using the following:
1x Rpi3B+
1x Gert666 (adapter)
2x Independent Monitors working simultaneously displaying proper respecitve images from Ninty PC10 / Punch Out!!
hdmi to vga input (Monitor 1)
gert 666/vga to vga (Monitor 2)
MAME .139 SET or on Raspberry Pi Libretro 2010

The monitors should show two different images, which is how the original machine / game titles functioned.

Any other suggestions getting this to work on an RPI3B+ ?!

Also upped the ***BOUNTY to $250.00 via friends and family PayPal to be paid to one individual whom successfully walks me through the process. I'm willing to send out my RPI3B+ with the GERT666 adapter / card / power supply IF that helps you... I just can't send out two monitors.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2019, 10:21:56 pm by mrclean »
2,370,650 Gun.Smoke

baritonomarchetto

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:40:48 pm
250 dollars are more than enought to buy a classic PC that will drive your two monitors without problems. If you are going to convert a dedicated cab, space is something you are not going low with.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 10:28:40 am
Doesn't seem like it is about the money but rather about figuring something out that others can benefit from.  That said, I am having trouble just getting a pi set up "normally" so I'm useless.

langlem

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 03, 2024, 10:33:55 pm
I sure wish you good luck on this.  I have tried for a few years to get dual monitor output for marquee display on a second monitor on a pi.  Close but never could get it going.  I dont even want to count the hours I have tried and failed.

It seems a handful of folks have possibly got it working but I have never found a guide that actually worked as intended.

I am all for teaching myself how to do this things and thats is actually what I enjoy most about this hobby.  I have done so many different setups over the last decade plus I have lost count.

Right now this is one of the few things I need to figure out.

Again, best of luck.