Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Different aspect ratio for attract/coin-up and gameplay  (Read 821 times)

Roboman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 08, 2024, 10:13:59 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Different aspect ratio for attract/coin-up and gameplay
« on: January 10, 2019, 09:49:08 pm »
I notice that in some arcade games on MAME like Marble Madness and Xain'd Sleena the game's attract mode and coin-up screens fill my 4:3 screen, but when you start the actual gameplay, there are vertical black bars on either side.
Thought it might just be my MAME settings, but seems to be consistent in walkthroughs on YouTube.
What was the reason for this? Could the processors not handle rendering the gameplay full-screen or was there an extra bezel/border on the monitor?

Mr. Peabody

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 05, 2019, 02:30:42 pm
Re: Different aspect ratio for attract/coin-up and gameplay
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2019, 06:51:02 pm »
Less lines drawn equals less resources needed. In the case of Marble Madness (which does not change resolution, hence the aspect is the same, it could have been resources used as well as playfield look, the latter being a narrower area to keep track of. Coding scheme and such could've constrained the or promoted a certain geometry. Look up the game design for those. The creators may be living and available on the net.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2019, 06:53:43 pm by Mr. Peabody »