Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Arcade1up: Wave 2  (Read 98139 times)

negative1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 04, 2024, 04:06:51 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Re: Arcade1up: Wave 2
« Reply #120 on: February 04, 2019, 08:59:19 pm »
I like Golden Tee '97. I don't golf, though.....

Incredible Technologies has partnered up with Arcade1Up and Tastemakers LLC to bring "Classic" Golden Tee to your homes in the Summer of 2019!

Coming this June, Golden Tee Classic will give you the very best of the Golden Tee 3D Golf era all in one cabinet!

There are 12 courses total coming from four different years of Golden Tee: 1998, 1999, 2000 and Classic.

Curious, though unsurprising if one thinks about it. This way, they'll get them back into bars at a fraction of the cost for everyone.

unless you go through the legality issues with adding coin doors, and registering them for pay, not going to happen.

also, without internet connectivity, they are useless in bars.

later

Love will find a way. I don't know what you're talking about with internet.....

nobody plays golden tee without access to their profile, the online tournaments, or the prize money games.

later

Locke141

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 03, 2024, 06:00:00 am
  • Never grow up.
« Reply #121 on: February 04, 2019, 10:35:03 pm »
I haven't been around here often these days but Haze (who I have a lot of respect for) smacking down the community is a bummer.

Has the community changed a lot in the past year?

schmerzkaufen

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 03, 2023, 02:27:31 pm
  • Multiple Electronic Machine Emulator
« Reply #122 on: February 05, 2019, 03:02:03 am »
I haven't been around here often these days but Haze (who I have a lot of respect for) smacking down the community is a bummer.

Has the community changed a lot in the past year?
Can't tell about here but lots of communities have changed, consider Haze's changed, MAME's changed, and in fact who and what hasn't ?  :P

Mr. Peabody

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 05, 2019, 02:30:42 pm
« Reply #123 on: February 11, 2019, 03:18:14 pm »
@Locke141: you don't know Haze was banned from MAMEWorld in early days, I see.......

nobody plays golden tee without access to their profile, the online tournaments, or the prize money games.

later

Ohhh. As I don't play any such kind of game, I would not know. Hmmm......

ark_ader

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2019, 07:35:34 pm
  • I glow in the dark.
« Reply #124 on: February 11, 2019, 11:39:53 pm »
@Locke141: you don't know Haze was banned from MAMEWorld in early days, I see.......

Neither would you as the thread has been sent to the ether.  David had an episode (or creative differences) with several hacks contributors (if you could qualify them as :lol  ) of mame, which I support and agree with him about.  There was a bit of hoo har.  Yet we had another coder contributor (whom is a credit to the gaming community and is a legend in his own right) that took exception to David's suggestions and it was a consensus that David should experience an administrative time out, and replaced as coordinator.  It wasn't David's fault, the quality of work the some of the team produced was quite poor.  IMHO this has not changed to some extent and we can see why there is a major fork in the project.  In David's defense he did not do anything wrong, and he was treated unfairly, but mameworld is home to a toxic forum which is well known.  They love me there.  :laugh2:

David enjoys an immense respect from the emulation community and his work lately has been exceptional, and I do not blame him for his comments on this site.  The main problem with mame now is best summed up as "you cannot make a silk purse out of a sow's ear."  If David was left to his own devices, and was still coordinator, we would have seen a better project than what it is now.   If anything, that is the tragedy.

I'm sure of all these platitudes will get a reply...as he has me on some sort of RSS feed....
« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 11:50:29 pm by ark_ader »
If I had only one wish, it would be for three more wishes.

negative1

• Offline Offline
« Reply #125 on: February 16, 2019, 03:43:02 pm »
Small update for New York Toy Fair 2019:

=============================
Golden Tee - Lighted marquee and custom riser will be in a deluxe package that costs more than regular.

Space Invaders will be a limited release, so if you want one, get it quickly when it comes out.
Pac-Man sold so well, that they will still be selling it this year.

Final fight should be out mid-march.

later

negative1

• Offline Offline
« Reply #126 on: February 19, 2019, 03:43:11 pm »
Looks like arcade 1up is getting ready for the Space Invaders release.

Someone found a placeholder webpage at Walmart, similar to the
one for pac-man before it appeared on their site.

later

Ian

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 26, 2021, 01:50:35 am
  • "A day without Laughter is a day wasted"
« Reply #127 on: February 19, 2019, 04:48:18 pm »
Id have no problem with these things if the build quality was halfway passable. It's not however.   :blowup:
Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.

Mr. Peabody

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 05, 2019, 02:30:42 pm
« Reply #128 on: February 20, 2019, 07:36:38 pm »
@ark_ader: I was not there. I saw remarks about the kaboodle some years later. I have always found Haze entertaining.

negative1

• Offline Offline
« Reply #129 on: February 22, 2019, 11:52:11 am »
From the latest Toy Fair 2019 video:
----------
The Arcade1Up part of their business is now "9 figures" (that means it's at least a $100,000,000 business).

Space Invaders will "hit the floor in about 20 days" (which would put it in-store around 3/9, if it's 20 days from the time of this video during Toy Fair '19). They believe they'll sell out around May.

Talking about Space Invaders, he said "Limited Edition Series," implying there will be more "Limited Edition" units, at some point.

Mortal Kombat will "rotate in" after Space Invaders around May... but the "rotate in" implies to me that it will depend on shelf space availability pending Space Invaders sales. That would make timing pretty loose.

Golden Tee also mentioned to be coming in May.

Final Fight "in stores in the next 60 day" (from date of this video) would put it potentially as far out as mid-April, in some locations.

Counter-cades "under $200 retail" and available "in May/June."

The Pac-Man wall-cade will actually be "Pac-Man and Galaga." (So, they're mixing some titles into these, now.)
================

later

negative1

• Offline Offline
« Reply #130 on: February 28, 2019, 06:50:50 pm »
Space Invaders up for sale exclusively at Wal-Mart:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Arcade1Up-Space-Invaders-Walmart-Exclusive-4ft-815221027718/678837037

looks good, if i was a fan, i would consider it a lower price.

later

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:20:30 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #131 on: March 01, 2019, 08:51:47 am »
Same problem as the rest, not enough games / variety.
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 19, 2024, 06:19:27 pm
« Reply #132 on: March 01, 2019, 09:54:56 am »
Aesthetically, it’s the best, most well thought out cabinet of the bunch. I don’t even mind the flat control panel on space invaders because that’s how the stand up was. The game selection doesn’t do anything for me though.

I wish they had used buttons instead of a joystick.

Overall, it’ll look good in the game room but wouldn’t get much play.

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:58:57 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #133 on: March 01, 2019, 10:09:09 am »
Aesthetically, it’s the best, most well thought out cabinet of the bunch. I don’t even mind the flat control panel on space invaders because that’s how the stand up was. The game selection doesn’t do anything for me though.

I wish they had used buttons instead of a joystick.

Overall, it’ll look good in the game room but wouldn’t get much play.

I will agree with you that of all the games, this one did the best job with the artwork. Too bad they didn’t stay authentic with the controls.

I’m curious how well this will do.
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

negative1

• Offline Offline
« Reply #134 on: March 01, 2019, 02:01:47 pm »
the controls are authentic with the taito version.

if you want to be like midway, just mod it, remove the joystick,
and add buttons. probably have to tweak the ROM though.

later

leapinlew

• Offline Offline
« Reply #135 on: March 01, 2019, 02:04:38 pm »

later

I can't see having to modify the rom at all. Left is left and right is right. I just wish it had 2 buttons, but I do like the white joystick ball.

negative1

• Offline Offline
« Reply #136 on: March 02, 2019, 02:05:53 am »

later

I can't see having to modify the rom at all. Left is left and right is right. I just wish it had 2 buttons, but I do like the white joystick ball.

the copyright information would be wrong,
also, there may be a way to get the overlays working, so you
could get some of those looking approximately correct.

later
« Last Edit: March 06, 2019, 04:36:19 pm by negative1 »

negative1

• Offline Offline
« Reply #137 on: March 06, 2019, 04:37:13 pm »
Details about the Space Invaders Cabinet from BerryBerry

https://www.reddit.com/r/Arcade1Up/comments/ay1chz/observations_about_the_new_space_invaders_cabinet/

The control panel now has the same printed+clearcoated vinyl as the side art, marquee, etc. Should last much longer than previous CP art. (But might be prone to the art being peeled up by "little hands". Best to leave to protector installed.)I think I prefer the original 1st-gen CP art (inkjetted directly on CP) after applying 3+ coats of sprayed-on clear, vs the new vinyl-applied-to-CP 2nd-gen CP art. Time will tell which ends up lasting longer. But as-shipped, 2nd-gen coming with a free protector is vastly improved over 1st-gen as shipped.

Protector is included in the box. It's a good fit. Holes aren't 100% centered, but are pretty close.

Control panel: https://i.redd.it/hpz427f4sjk21.jpg
Control panel w/ protector (film still applied): https://i.redd.it/7lt3l4wcsjk21.jpg
Joystick photos: https://i.redd.it/dqhkh22vrjk21.png

Still not real T-molding, but is the same pretty-good banding/edging used previously.(Clarification - I've looked at the control panel only. Haven't pulled the cabinet sides out of the box yet.)

Now a Sanwa-style joystick w/ 5-wire plug. Only has two microswitches installed on the circuit board, but all 5 wires are installed. Nice and crisp feel. Control panel joystick hole is now round (not a slot) and joystick has 2-way restrictor plate on the back. Easier to upgrade to 4/8-way stick - hole doesn't have to be enlarged. (Galaga had a CP slot and a regular joystick plate

later

Zebra

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 19, 2021, 01:12:24 pm
« Reply #138 on: March 07, 2019, 12:07:58 am »
The issue with the first round of 1Ups was never that they didn't look nice in pics. The problems started when people got them home. $300 for a single poorly emulated game in a poorly sized cab with questionable build quality. From the info we have seen to date, it's hard to say if the real problems have been addressed in Wave 2.

The competition for these things has always been the various bartop kits with cheap PCs or Raspberry PIs. On paper, it might seem like buying a new 1 up bartop saves you time over buying a kit but I'm not so sure. 1 UPS are a flat-pack diy build item. Not that different (in terms of effort) to assembling a bartop kit.

Also, all those "innovative" space saving ideas are BS. We already have a better space saving option - a multi-game mame cab. You can take every game you ever owned and put it on a hard drive inside a bartop cab. Selling machines with just one game is what takes up space....

Unless they make one with an SD card slot so we can add our own roms, they'll never get any of my money. $200 or even $150 for one emulated game is horrible value.

leapinlew

• Offline Offline
« Reply #139 on: March 08, 2019, 04:07:30 pm »
The issue with the first round of 1Ups was never that they didn't look nice in pics. The problems started when people got them home. $300 for a single poorly emulated game in a poorly sized cab with questionable build quality.

I don't know which cabinet had a single poorly emulated game. Which one was that?

No one should be surprised by the size. They have display units for all to touch/feel and the boxes are only 4 feet long, so they aren't hiding anything. If anyone doesn't like the size, that's purely an opinion based thing. Tons of folks seem to like them. The difference between a bartop on a stand, or a Arcade1up on a riser is a minor one to me.

Questionable build quality... again, not sure where you are getting your information. The build on them is sufficient. Not sure what else you are looking for. It's not as rock solid as a golden tee cabinet even though both of them use lock/cam style construction.

The competition for these things has always been the various bartop kits with cheap PCs or Raspberry PIs. On paper, it might seem like buying a new 1 up bartop saves you time over buying a kit but I'm not so sure. 1 UPS are a flat-pack diy build item. Not that different (in terms of effort) to assembling a bartop kit.
You are way off the mark on this and it's clear you've never assembled an Arcade1up or a bartop kit. I've done both multiple times. I can assemble an Arcade1up in about 30 minutes. It took me a little over an hour the first time. From opening the box to playing a game in an hour. That's hard to beat. Bartop kits, well, that's definitely a project.

Arcade1up has there problems and I'm not looking to be their champion, but I didn't want your post full of inaccuracies left unchallenged.

Zebra

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 19, 2021, 01:12:24 pm
« Reply #140 on: March 08, 2019, 06:30:00 pm »
Which had one poorly emulated game = most of them. Having two or three versions of Street Fighter 2 does not even come close to offering the same variety as a mame cab.

Poor build quality. Where do I get my info. I've used one and 90% of the feedback says the same. They are made cheap, thin walls, light, not sturdy or arcade-like. Peeling decals and poor sizing.

The emulation on those "Wave 1" 1Ups sucked and looked like sh*t on the screen. Saying it is "adequate" is a matter of opinion but they are certainly not adequate for me and a whole lot of others. More importantly, you get far better results doing your own mame pc.

Sure, there are always going to be people with low standards, those who don't care about quality or authenticity. For example... you... but so what.

There are plenty of bartop kits these days that are designed for easy assembly. Some don't even need screws. Putting a pc and monitor inside is quick. It would take a little more time to attach and wire the joystick but that's a small price to for getting thousands of games vs one.

All that makes the 1Ups are very poor choice for a home arcade.

jennifer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 11, 2023, 06:24:58 am
« Reply #141 on: March 08, 2019, 06:37:36 pm »
Which had one poorly emulated game = most of them. Having two or three versions of Street Fighter 2 does not even come close to offering the same variety as a mame cab.

Poor build quality. Where do I get my info. I've used one and 90% of the feedback says the same. They are made cheap, thin walls, light, not sturdy or arcade-like. Peeling decals and poor sizing.

The emulation on those "Wave 1" 1Ups sucked and looked like sh*t on the screen. Saying it is "adequate" is a matter of opinion but they are certainly not adequate for me and a whole lot of others. More importantly, you get far better results doing your own mame pc.

Sure, there are always going to be people with low standards, those who don't care about quality or authenticity. For example... you... but so what.

There are plenty of bartop kits these days that are designed for easy assembly. Some don't even need screws. Putting a pc and monitor inside is quick. It would take a little more time to attach and wire the joystick but that's a small price to for getting thousands of games vs one.

I think you forgot to mention the size and flimsy construction contribute to an excited player sliding it around and ultimately tipping them over....Ya, arnt they just special.

leapinlew

• Offline Offline
« Reply #142 on: March 08, 2019, 11:04:57 pm »
Appreciate your response.  :)

2 of the cabs had less than the typical 4 game offering. Pacman and Street Fighter had multiple versions of the same game, but it's debatable if you would consider the cabinet only having 1 game. No one was talking about it compared to a mame cabinet.

That 90% number is clearly pulled from thin air. They are made inexpensively, but they will do fine for average Joe home user. I probably wouldn't want them on a route, but I'm going to keep a couple in my house. Peeling decals is definitely a side effect of the inexpensive manufacturing. No excuses for them there, but kudos for providing a solution. "Poor sizing" is a negative to you, but many people actually prefer it. I'm not one of those people, but I wouldn't consider a cabaret a poor sized cabinet, so I don't consider an Arcade1up on a riser a poor sized cabinet either.

It would've been nice if they put some scan line options, or built in some scan lines, to try to help the authenticity, but the emulation is just about perfect on most of the games. As good as any cabinet using mame. I mean... its' using mame, lol. What other emulation do you want? The games that had actual emulation problems is Street Fighter and Gauntlet. The rest are fine. I think you might be mixing up things - like the LCD vs CRT discussion.

It's interesting you would say that you would get better results using mame because I've been contemplating swapping out my mame PC's for all-in-one boards. I like the idea of powering off my system without corrupting it. I think a solid state system will be more reliable than a PC. Using mame on a PC isn't all upside with no downsides. Configuration can be a challenge.

If you cared about authenticity, you wouldn't even be talking about mame. I've owned plenty of mame cabinets and real deal arcades. I found what is important to me, and they must differ from what is important to you.

at this point, I have to question whether you've ever built a mame machine - applied art, installed controls, wired a CP, installed a front end and configured everything. This isn't even a real comparison. I love my mame machines and arcade games, but I've also enjoyed the Arcade1ups for different reasons. Not much different than your love affair with the 12" Street Fighter. It's a hunk of junk as far as I'm concerned, because it isn't playable. But hey, if you like it, good for you.

Of course this is your opinion and you are entitled to it. We'll just have to agree to disagree. Lots of people seem to be happy to them.  :dunno

Feel free to have the last word. I don't see the point of us having a back and forth when in reality, we both enjoy arcade nostalgia, but disagree on one of our many retro offerings we have these days.

jennifer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #143 on: March 09, 2019, 12:11:39 am »
///Content subject to review.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2019, 01:38:42 am by jennifer »

negative1

• Offline Offline
« Reply #144 on: March 18, 2019, 08:14:36 pm »
and so it begins....

will start another thread for countercades.

golden tee : $499
with improved controls, riser, and light up marquee   5/5 at gamestop

https://www.gamestop.com/toys/golden-tee-fore-home-arcade-with-riser-and-light-up-marquee/174202

later
« Last Edit: March 18, 2019, 08:17:35 pm by negative1 »

negative1

• Offline Offline
Arcade 1UP - Countercades
« Reply #145 on: March 18, 2019, 08:23:30 pm »
Looking forward to see if the improvements carry over to the countercades:

Four listed at gamestop : Space Invaders, Dig Dug, Centipede and Pac-Man

Pac-Man and Pac 'N Pal:
https://www.gamestop.com/toys/pac-man-countercade/174187

Space invaders and color:
https://www.gamestop.com/toys/space-invaders-countercade/174200

Dig Dug and Dig dug 2:
https://www.gamestop.com/toys/dig-dug-countercade/174195

Centipede and Missile command:
https://www.gamestop.com/toys/centipede-countercade/174188

later

« Last Edit: March 19, 2019, 01:48:46 am by negative1 »

leapinlew

• Offline Offline
Re: Arcade 1UP - Countercades
« Reply #146 on: March 18, 2019, 08:44:44 pm »
Woohoo! I really like these.

I have no space or reason to buy one of these but I bet it happens. Hopefully I don’t buy a pallet of them.

leapinlew

• Offline Offline
« Reply #147 on: March 18, 2019, 08:46:53 pm »
Hard pass on the crummy versions of golden tee.

javeryh

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:28:40 am
« Reply #148 on: March 19, 2019, 09:25:20 am »
$200 seems like a lot.  I'll just go ahead and make my own for $400.

What are the dimensions of these things?

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #149 on: March 19, 2019, 10:05:19 am »
Why? There are enough A1Up threads

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:58:57 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #150 on: March 19, 2019, 10:45:29 am »
Why? There are enough A1Up threads

Agreed. Just keep them all in one thread. The titles read like horror movie names. Waiting for Arcade1Up 2: The Revenge of The Spinnercade any day now.
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

negative1

• Offline Offline
« Reply #151 on: March 19, 2019, 12:20:43 pm »

Not sure yet. But the monitor is smaller than the full sized ones.

The controls should be full sized though.

I'll be getting the Dig Dug one, and thats it, since that's not going to be
released as a full size one. Dig Dug 2 is a lesser known conversion thats
on there also.

There's rumors of a Ms. Pac-Man countercade also, we'll see.

later

JDFan

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 21, 2023, 04:07:42 pm
« Reply #152 on: March 19, 2019, 12:58:56 pm »

IIRC they had said the dig dug counter cade had an 8 inch screen !

negative1

• Offline Offline
« Reply #153 on: March 20, 2019, 01:07:12 am »
From the latest Facebook post, looks like Golden Tee with the extras will

only be sold at Gamestop. So maybe other places will sell a regular one.

"Arcade1UpOfficial The current version of Golden Tee with the light up marquee and custom riser is a game stop exclusive."

https://www.facebook.com/Arcade1UpOfficial/posts/574641686365195?comment_id=574709229691774&comment_tracking=%7B%22tn%22%3A%22R%22%7D

later

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 03:47:56 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #154 on: March 20, 2019, 12:22:32 pm »
Golden Tee peaked forever ago.  I spend a lot of time in places that have them and nobody touches them now.

:dunno

negative1

• Offline Offline
« Reply #155 on: March 20, 2019, 03:26:09 pm »

considering used ones go for $1200-$2000
and the new units are $3500 and up, this is a bargain.

real happ trackball, and improved buttons, lighted marquee,
slanted screen, and 4 licensed games, with a themed riser.

pass for you,  but enthuasists are waiting for it.

later

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #156 on: March 20, 2019, 03:57:34 pm »

Know how I know you're full of ---steaming pile of meadow muffin---?

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 07:31:21 pm
« Reply #157 on: March 20, 2019, 04:15:51 pm »
Lol @ $1200+ for a Golden Tee. :lol

This A1up dickriding is just comedy.

jennifer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #158 on: March 20, 2019, 04:21:28 pm »

later
Have you ever even played a real one?... You have to get a run at it and be all aggressive down on your knees. New norm for you big spenders.... Good luck with that.

leapinlew

• Offline Offline
« Reply #159 on: March 20, 2019, 05:53:48 pm »

later

The problem is the game. Golden Tee 99 is awful and hasn’t aged well. I can only imagine the disappointed looks if I tell folks I have Golden Tee and surprise them with a 20 year old version.

I’m happy with the controls, marquee, etc.