Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: GroovyMAME Resolution Issue  (Read 3112 times)

noonan2678

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 27, 2022, 12:54:09 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
GroovyMAME Resolution Issue
« on: January 05, 2019, 02:46:33 pm »
Hey Guys - I've just completed a GroovyMAME build outputting to a Sony BVM-D24.  I'm running the desktop in 720p and games at their native resolutions, using a Radeon R9 380 as the GPU (CRTemudriver, etc.).  The output from the Radeon is hitting an Extron 201rxi and outputting RGBs to the monitor.  All resolutions are looking great except for 480p.  The image is squeezed horizontally, it's distorted and there's a purple hue in several places. 

I'm not sure if this is a monitor problem, but I'm thinking it might be.  I'd really appreciate any ideas as this is the last issue I'm having.  If we agree this is not a monitor issue, this can certainly be moved to another section.

Thank you!

noonan2678

• Offline Offline
Re: GroovyMAME Resolution Issue
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2019, 08:08:38 pm »
Sorry for the additional note on here.  Just wanna check if anyone has feedback or a suggestion of where to start.  I have a feeling this might be down to timings.  I can actually replicate the issue in 240p when disabling DDSP on the Extron.  So, seems like something with the processing of the image that the BVM doesn't like. 

Thanks again.

buttersoft

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 22, 2024, 12:55:20 am
  • Is running at 15kHz
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2019, 08:24:08 pm »

noonan2678

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2019, 10:54:32 pm »
Wow - thank you.  I haven't confirmed yet, but this very well might be it (the 1st CLP P DLY setting).  I messed around with it at my desktop res of 720p and when it goes out of range, it DOES produce a similar look to the issue I'm having at 480p.

Here's the thing...  For whatever reason, the BVM menu won't display at 480p.  When I hit the Menu button on the control module, nothing displays.  But when I exit out of say, MAME at 480p, it does show up like I hit the button.  I already tested to see if my other inputs while 480p is up are registered (so like, record the button presses to get to that setting and adjust it), but they are not. 

I'm super anxious to try this now, but can't!  Do you or anyone know why the menu is just not displaying at that res, once it switches?

Also, one thing to note...  I've installed all of the correct video modes with VMM.  However, the machine has mapped itself to two monitors (only the BVM is connected).  This results in display (2) being the BVM and reading as a generic VGA display device and display (1) as being the Arcade 15/30.  My thought is that maybe the timings aren't correct since I'm displaying on the wrong monitor?  240p all works, so not sure.  This also locks out my ability to change the desktop res in windows on the BVM.  If anyone knows how to fix this, that would be awesome as well.

Thanks again!

buttersoft

• Offline Offline
  • Is running at 15kHz
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2019, 06:57:57 pm »
I have no idea why the menu won't show :( Do you have another 480p-capable source to try, like a Wii, or GC or other console?

Regarding the second issue: It sounds like you have pointed VMM's EDID-emulation at one video port, and plugged the BVM into a second port. Windows will detect the 75R termination over the VGA lines (here through DVI-I) and turn on that second  port as well. (You are plugging in 75R terminators to the outputs, right?) I don't think it's causing the no-menu problem you have now, but you might run into other problems later.

Your first problem might be the preset ranges, i suppose. Your Radeon R9 380 will only actually have a single analog-capable output, no matter what VMM says. First you should point VMM at a different port. Next, you don't want to be using any of the monitor presets like Arcade_15/30, you want to make your own. There are some sample BVM-D24 range lines in the monitor presets sticky in the GM forum, post #35. Those do not include PAL framerates, but you could try them as they stand and see if they help anything. Google might supply even more comprehensive modelines for that BVM.

The range lines would need to be added to the mame.ini file as well, unless you tell VMM to export them. TBH you could simply try pasting the range lines into your current mame.ini and seeing what happens, but either way you'll eventually want to fix the EDID problem above.

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,116023.0/all.html

If none of this works, I'll recommend you post on that Shmups thread in the previous post - or make a new thread there if you can't find anything there or on google.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2019, 07:14:18 pm by buttersoft »

noonan2678

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2019, 11:07:08 pm »
Thank you so much again.  I've got to hit the sack for the night, but want to leave this one piece of info before doing more troubleshooting tomorrow.

Re: the EDID issue, yes, I had an issue in setting that up.  The instructions noted that "Analog_0" is always the correct analog output to select.  In my case, that did not work.  It didn't produce an image on the BVM at all and just left the LCD in 480p mode.  (I'll go back and make sure that I'm giving you the exact info here).  So, my DVI-I port was available to select, which is what I'm using for the analog output.  It worked, but when I plugged my BVM in after enabling EDID, it was in 720p and not 640x480 as the tutorial noted.  Note also that 240p does switch over fine and is displayed perfectly with it set this way.  I did disable EDID for each port and start over.  Additionally, I uninstalled the CRTemudriver and started from scratch again, even removing the files from my install folders.  I wouldn't think there would be anything else left behind outside of those folder to "reset" in order for a proper baseline to start from.

I did think to try my GC as it displays 480p perfectly into the same analog card on the BVM.  I guess there must be some difference between the timings from the GC and the PC to cause such a different result.  Because of that, it's tough to adjust that setting from the GC, since I won't know the impact unless the PC is connected.  I could switch back and forth maybe, moving it by one step each time.  That might be the only way to rule that setting out. 

I'll get back at it tomorrow.  Again, really appreciate all the help. 
« Last Edit: January 08, 2019, 11:13:24 pm by noonan2678 »

buttersoft

• Offline Offline
  • Is running at 15kHz
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2019, 12:10:38 am »
I could switch back and forth maybe, moving it by one step each time.  That might be the only way to rule that setting out. 

Yes, this. Maybe a few jumps at a time, but the principle seems sound :)

I'd maybe try with your current monitor range settings, and if it doesn't work, update them as per my post above and try again.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2019, 12:12:40 am by buttersoft »

noonan2678

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2019, 10:46:59 pm »
FINALLY GOT IT!

So I uninstalled everything and used the monitor presets and resolutions from the post that you referenced.  Just dumped the D24 presets into the monitor.ini and selected it in VMM.  Then renamed the .txt resolution file to .ini and selected it, checking off to pull them into GroovyMAME.  I did not do anything with EDID at all.  Once firing MAME back up, it still looked the same, but I was able to get the Menu overlay.  Then, navigated to the CLP P DLY setting and started increasing the value....voila, at about 150, it corrected completely.  After doing this, I also had to adjust that setting back in 240p as well, but same story and all works perfectly.

I don't completely understand why the menu wouldn't overlay initially and why it then did with the new timings, but whatever at this point.  Super happy with it.

Thank you again so much for the help!
« Last Edit: January 09, 2019, 10:51:59 pm by noonan2678 »

buttersoft

• Offline Offline
  • Is running at 15kHz
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2019, 05:47:53 pm »
Glad to hear you got it sorted :)

This problem comes up a bit. I think i need to bookmark this thread.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 05:50:04 pm by buttersoft »