Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Installed new card w/ Emudriver; wrong colors (solved), ArcadeOSD stuck, Crashes  (Read 2043 times)

schmerzkaufen

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 03, 2023, 02:27:31 pm
  • Multiple Electronic Machine Emulator
Hi! Xmas mess-up ftw!  ;D

Well I've decided to remove that old R7 260x and install a fresher R7 360 I got some time ago.

All seemed to have gone well, except after the final restart the screen turned up all purple/green/yellow;

It's connected via HDMI, my monitor's set to RGB full range, windows to 60Hz 32bit colors.

So I dunno, have you ever seen something like this?

(a random log attached)
« Last Edit: December 25, 2018, 02:15:45 pm by schmerzkaufen »

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 14, 2024, 05:26:05 am
  • Quote me with care
Re: Installed new card w/ CRT_Emudriver -> wrong colors
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2018, 09:46:02 am »
For whatever reason the devices on each end are not negotiating the color format properly, I've seen that on some TVs, try resetting the monitor.
Important note: posts reporting GM issues without a log will be IGNORED.
Steps to create a log:
 - From command line, run: groovymame.exe -v romname >romname.txt
 - Attach resulting romname.txt file to your post, instead of pasting it.

CRT Emudriver, VMMaker & Arcade OSD downloads, documentation and discussion:  Eiusdemmodi

schmerzkaufen

• Offline Offline
Re: Installed new card w/ CRT_Emudriver -> wrong colors
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2018, 09:52:06 am »
try resetting the monitor.
That did it!  :applaud: :cheers:

Ok I can resume configuring, thanks a lot!

--

EDIT: now arcadeOSD is not letting me copy the modeline to clipboard, the option is greyed-out.  ???

« Last Edit: December 25, 2018, 10:32:00 am by schmerzkaufen »

schmerzkaufen

• Offline Offline
So can I use the same modeline I was using before (when I had the 260x) ?

I'm scared to do the install w/ VMmaker since I'm not sure they're the same.

EDIT: so I took the plunge and used that old modeline and it worked, all games runnig at perfect framerates, but after playing randomly for like 10 minutes everything crashed and I got a black sreen, had to force-shutdown my computer.

Maybe it's because I'm using an improper base modeline, maybe it's something else (it's my first day using that card after all)

Still no idea why ArcadeOSD refuses to work properly, if I could use it I'd redo the install...
« Last Edit: December 25, 2018, 11:38:10 am by schmerzkaufen »

schmerzkaufen

• Offline Offline
Repeated crashes so yup something's wrong.

The computer even turned itself off once (lolwut?) even though I haven't set anything for that in windows power management.

Been looking around and I can't see anything. I have deactivated AMD External Events service but no difference.

I'm gonna wait because I'm out of ideas.

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
Are you sure your power supply is enough for your new card?
Steps to create a log:

CRT Emudriver, VMMaker & Arcade OSD downloads, documentation and discussion:  Eiusdemmodi

schmerzkaufen

• Offline Offline
I don't know...

Here's the PSU: http://www.corsair.com/eu/en/Categories/Products/Power-Supply-Units/cxm-series-config/p/CP-9020058-UK
the 260x: http://www.gigabyte.com/Graphics-Card/GV-R726XWF2-2GD-rev-20#sp
the 360: http://www.gigabyte.com/Graphics-Card/GV-R736OC-2GD-rev-30#sp
and before these two I was using a GTX 750 Ti: http://www.gigabyte.com/Graphics-Card/GV-N75TOC-2GL#ov

I don't know precisely how much each one of these draw on average, but the 750 Ti and the 260x were fine...
One thing that has changed recently though is that I have overclocked my CPU (reasonably)

EDIT: right I've probably hit +/- 300W TDP so I might need a 600+W PSU, I think. Lol I wasn't expecting that.  :D
« Last Edit: December 25, 2018, 04:53:50 pm by schmerzkaufen »

schmerzkaufen

• Offline Offline
Ok so I'll order a new PSU today, emulation is an adventure full of surprises.  :lol

No idea for that bizarre ArcadeOSD behaviour though ?  ???  Is there another place/way to find my desktop's modeline in full ?
I don't understand why it was working fine months ago on the same system and now it doesn't.
How could changing the GPU be at fault? Or it happened because of some W7 security update some time ago and I didn't realize?
I wonder if using an older version could do it...

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
No idea for that bizarre ArcadeOSD behaviour though ?  ???  Is there another place/way to find my desktop's modeline in full ?
I don't understand why it was working fine months ago on the same system and now it doesn't.
How could changing the GPU be at fault? Or it happened because of some W7 security update some time ago and I didn't realize?
I wonder if using an older version could do it...

As we already discussed, AMD drivers don't like your monitor's EDID very much. Probably that's because this EDID is not fully standard-compliant. Remind the issues with your monitor's preferred timings being reported as interlaced. Maybe different versions of the driver read the timings differently. Also newer versions of Arcade OSD/GroovyMAME ditch any read timings if there's a mismatch in the interlace flag (probably that's why it appears as blank), a feature mainly introduced to deal with your monitor's issue :)

Anyway, you can safely reuse the timings you got previously, as these are valid if your using the same monitor.
----

With regards to the psu, I just suggested that as a possibility, then you mentioned recent overclocking... I frankly think you should start by checking that...
Steps to create a log:

schmerzkaufen

• Offline Offline
Yep this monitor definitely isn't all plain standard and I'm so glad it isn't since it basically delivers free 'unbranded' variable refresh.  8)
Very nice using the 'static' method and absolutely awesome using the 'dynamic' w/ emudriver.

Maybe different versions of the driver read the timings differently.
Anyway, you can safely reuse the timings you got previously, as these are valid if your using the same monitor.
Yeah that's the thing; how can we be sure it's exactly the same? that's why I wanted to grab it fresh one from ArcadeOSD after installing that new GPU.
Sure it's 60.000Hz and, well, put this on the layman's paranoia but I thought maybe if there are variations in the timings, even very small, could these be the cause for the crashes?

With regards to the psu, I just suggested that as a possibility, then you mentioned recent overclocking... I frankly think you should start by checking that...
Yeah that's something I should have though of before, I was just comfortable for years and since the 260x and 360 seemed almost identical (360 even quotes slightly lower TDP ceiling) I candidly though things would be okay, I'm no expert in building PCs so rationalizing the whole consumption from outlet to output isn't part of my knowledge.

Though of course the real issue could be different indeed. Those GPUs can have all sorts of quirks and flaws, the reason I wanted to get rid of the 260x is that it's got black screen issues when it's more or less idle (rare but it happens) and the fans just won't spin or just one only at high temp.
These crappy flaws requiring more attention than I wanted to deal with, I just went and ordered another GPU to replace it...yet it came with its own quirks and issues (never seen/heard the fan spinning once since I've installed it)

To think my little 750 Ti performs as well as those two AMDs at half the size and consumption, ugh. nVidia rule for discrete GPUs.

EDIT: for now I will just decrease my CPU OC to 4.1GHz (instead of 4.2), leave the vcore setting on auto and speedstep on.
I'm curious to see - admitting the crashes are provoked by a power requirement issue - if my system can manage itself well and stable enough this way.
Hopefully it does and I don't get those random crashes anymore.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2018, 08:21:23 am by schmerzkaufen »

schmerzkaufen

• Offline Offline
So this is likely rather one of the many driver crash issues that happen with some GPUs under rather obscure conditions.
For AMD some say it can be fixed using the performance options in CCC, but I'd rather reinstall my 260x for now since it was less troublesome and I don't want to spend the next days investigating something so annoying.

*sigh* GPUs are so trashy compared to CPUs  :P

schmerzkaufen

• Offline Offline
So I gave a clean install of CRT_Emudriver with that R7 360 a try, but the black screens happened again.

Since I really don't know the reason (could be a bad unit) I have reinstalled the 260X w/ crt_emu and all seems fine now.

Except ArcadeOSD still doesn't work, so it wasn't because of the 360 but rather maybe the version.

I've probably missed that the last time I've downloaded Arcade OSD was probably quite a while ago and I suppose it has been updated since then along with Emudriver (sorry I haven't paid much attention)

May I ask if I can download old versions to give them a try ? (eiusdemmodi seems to be offline right now)

schmerzkaufen

• Offline Offline
Ok I could try with ArcadeOSD beta 13, unlike beta 14 it grants me acess to its funtions, but the modes it's seeing/listing seem different (no 60Hz mode for instance)

Well I guess I don't really need it anyway, but I'm glad I saved that modeline from months ago !