Main > Driving & Racing Cabinets

Driving twincabinet project (Emulator)

<< < (2/11) > >>

buttersoft:
Such a shame. Every time someone converts a CRT cab to LCD, baby jeebus strangles a penguin :(

My personal preferences aside, i will admit that getting TP running and looking good on a CRT can be a mission, though having a trisync to do it on might be alright.

Apart from that, the project looks pretty awesome. Would keen to hear how the FFB part goes as well!

Empo:

--- Quote from: buttersoft on January 19, 2022, 06:01:06 pm ---Such a shame. Every time someone converts a CRT cab to LCD, baby jeebus strangles a penguin :(

My personal preferences aside, i will admit that getting TP running and looking good on a CRT can be a mission, though having a trisync to do it on might be alright.

Apart from that, the project looks pretty awesome. Would keen to hear how the FFB part goes as well!

--- End quote ---

Sorry buttersoft  :notworthy:  But you know my knowledge about the CRT´s is low. But hopefully they will awaken other projects and ideas as i have one of them for sale here in Sweden. Thought it would sell fast as these CRT´s in like new condition. Never been out in operation, clean as hell like from factory etc. It is Wei-Ya i know... but nowadays getting a like new 29" CRT feels like mission impossible. So i am bit confused nobody snatched it yet. Well well.. i still have them. One day i maybe want to get back to CRT´s. It is still possible. The bezels i have modified but these i can find and purchase then if so.

I wanted to run newer games. I like to have friends over and play and it tends to be the newer games being played on a game evening. So thats why i made this decision.

buttersoft:
Nah, no need for the apology, I know I'm weird in my love of CRT's. At least, on this subforum I am :D

Empo:

--- Quote from: buttersoft on January 19, 2022, 06:47:32 pm ---Nah, no need for the apology, I know I'm weird in my love of CRT's. At least, on this subforum I am :D

--- End quote ---
   :lol :cheers:

Well my upcoming project is restoration of a Blast City cab i have sitting.. it will NOT have LCD i promise you  :)
But that is a another project. I am digging in information and researching to do a full recap and so on myself for the monitor. That now dont even start.. but i got some tips to check.

Test mounted the LCD with the modified bezel. I am satisfied. I also placed a 3mm thick "plexiglass?" between monitor and the bezel/frame i built. Going to do some more finishing on the bezel so the final painting is not finished. For example i am going to incorporate 2 speaker grills in the upper of the bezel. But i am still waiting for them to be delivered.

And of course i will update about how the FFB solution will work out. Thats i concern i have....

I am awating 2 PC computers right now to be delivered.. over a month today from UK  :banghead: :banghead:  eBay global shipping program is ---steaming pile of meadow muffin---... my opinion. But it looks like a have the tomorrow. Then i can really start to test and config everything properly.

PL1:

--- Quote from: Empo on January 19, 2022, 04:45:11 pm ---For the I/O to controllers i will test and use EMC development (FB) solution with an Arduino Leonardo board to integrate controllers and hopefully get the original FFB mechanism in the cab working. I have all the PCB´s and so on for it at my workshop right now. This solution requires a rotary encoder to work. So i started out by dismount the pot´s in the steering assembly and adapting in rotary encoders instead.

--- End quote ---
Maybe I'm missing something, but substituting a relative position optical rotary encoder for the absolute position analog potentiometer makes no sense.   :dizzy:
- You put a sensor for an unlimited rotation 360 degree wheel in a limited rotation 270 degree wheel.

Have you tested this modified setup with actual gameplay in a variety of games?

I don't see how you won't have serious problems with gameplay.   :banghead:

In 360 degree games like Pole Position, you won't have the needed amount of rotation due to physical stops on the wheel.
- When you crash, the game sets the current wheel position as center.  If you were turning hard  when you crashed, you'll need to continue turning exactly that hard to go straight.

In 270 degree games like Daytona, having a relative position encoder means that the FFB doesn't know where center is.
- You could work around this using a properly centered absolute position rotary encoder, but that would involve a third data line like the two notches on the second encoder wheel of the 720 degree controller that signal the game PCB when the controller passes through the "up" position and adjusts your skater's rotational position accordingly.

Scott

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version