Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Driving twincabinet project (Emulator)  (Read 14260 times)

Nuexzz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 01, 2023, 01:26:58 am
Re: Driving twincabinet project (Emulator)
« Reply #40 on: February 05, 2022, 03:24:55 am »
impressive how well it looks cabinet. congratulations :applaud:

baritonomarchetto

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 02:42:27 am
« Reply #41 on: February 05, 2022, 09:56:52 am »
This project is going more and more interesting every day and personally I appreciate very much the fact that you are using only "generic" hardware like BTS7960 driverboards.

I think that some drawings/schematics of your setup would help new users figure out how "easy" a convertion like this could be nowadays.

Very good work so far :)

buttersoft

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 22, 2024, 12:55:20 am
  • Is running at 15kHz
« Reply #42 on: February 05, 2022, 07:32:57 pm »
I think that some drawings/schematics of your setup would help new users figure out how "easy" a convertion like this could be nowadays.

I'll second that. Maybe even writing out a concise guide with links and stuff, once your build is complete :)

Empo

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 05, 2022, 05:47:50 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade flux capacitors!!
« Reply #43 on: February 06, 2022, 05:35:48 pm »
Thanks for your feedback!  :D

Right now i feel as a "noob" at this myself, so writing a guide right now i think is a bit to much for me.
But i surely can do in some time! When i have tested and running my setup a little longer and know that everything works in the long run.

In here or should i make a new thread what do you think? Please feel free to ask me questions about my build and setup. Here or in PM. I will help so much i can.

Right now i am learning/trying out in a quite high tempo...i work that way  :dizzy:  This can maybe cause i donīt see things  in time that can be a problem. (Sorry for my english here..maybe sounds strange what i try to explain :lol)

But i do know this now!:

Using the BackForceFeeder software with Arduino Leonardo and a BTS7960 board WORKS GREAT!
BUT YOU NEED TO KNOW! There is no current limitation in the BTS7960. So if you are tweaking your settings to much or not having full control there is a possibility that you burn out your motor. I have tweaked very slowly, testing and checking the temp on my motor frequently after some laps in ex. Sega Rally 3. In my setup this seems not to be a problem - the motor and BTS board keeps very cool and i can not notice any heat building up at all. That said it can be a good option to choose a PSU with the possibility to limit current for your FFB motor. Depending what motor you have.   

I am running Arduino Leonardo now (as i had them already). The advantage with Leonardo board is that with BFF software you have faster PWM analog communication to the motor driver board. Witch should improve the FFB feeling for sure. But i do not know what the difference would feel like, to a MEGA board.
The disadvantage with the Leonardo is that you have only 12 button inputs.

This software also runs on a MEGA 2560 board. BUT! on a slower speed for the analog PWM channels to the motor driver. As i said above, i do not know what this actually means in the final "feeling" in FFB.
The advantage is that with the MEGA board you have the possibility for more inputs AND also outputs to drive LED/Lamps etc.

As for schematics they are already there on the Github for the vJoyIOFeederWithFFB.

But i will try to present my setup more exactly in the future. When i feel that i am more close to my goal with this cabinets.  :D

baritonomarchetto

• Offline Offline
« Reply #44 on: February 07, 2022, 02:23:47 am »
You do not run the risk to burn the wheel motor but the driver board if under specs: the motor calls a current the BTS must handle (not vice versa) and during start up phases this can be actually very large (up to 10 times the idle current in some applications, maybe 4 in this being the load limited). As far as the motor is under 5A it is very likely that BTS will stand.

I must admit that I was not completely aware of the capabilities of BackForceFeeder solution and how to use it (my cabinet has rumble motor, not FF). Are FFpluging and mamehooker anyway necessary or does the software get output informations directly from the running emulator? If I have understand correctly the actually are.

Having a one-software solution would further simplify the setup

Empo

• Offline Offline
« Reply #45 on: February 08, 2022, 05:52:29 pm »
You do not run the risk to burn the wheel motor but the driver board if under specs: the motor calls a current the BTS must handle (not vice versa) and during start up phases this can be actually very large (up to 10 times the idle current in some applications, maybe 4 in this being the load limited). As far as the motor is under 5A it is very likely that BTS will stand.

I must admit that I was not completely aware of the capabilities of BackForceFeeder solution and how to use it (my cabinet has rumble motor, not FF). Are FFpluging and mamehooker anyway necessary or does the software get output informations directly from the running emulator? If I have understand correctly the actually are.

Having a one-software solution would further simplify the setup

Ok this was info given to me from from Benjamin the developer of vJoyIOFeederWithFFB. I know that the PWM2HAPP board of Aganyte has a pot where you can limit current to the motor. But there seems to not be an issue in my setup i think. Have tested with quite heavy FFB settings and i canīt notice anything getting hot or so. If i accidentally happen to fry my BTS7960 itīs no biggie.. i have 3 for spare  :D They are cheap.

I am running only Teknoparrot for the moment. And using the FFBplugin, i think it is needed. Mamehooker i dont use, but i think it is needed of you output to lamps/LEDs and so. I have not made such things in my setup yet.

Empo

• Offline Offline
« Reply #46 on: February 08, 2022, 06:04:00 pm »
Tonight i took out the #2 cabinet. Time for it to be worked on and getting some LCD makeover and wiring job. Then start to test and try linked play with the cabinets  :applaud:

Decided to throw out the big ass 230 to 110AC transformer in both cabīs. It is only used in my config right now to power the fans (110AC) and the 5vdc/12vdc PSU witch can be switched over to 230AC. Then i go for 12vdc fans in the cab instead. (The 110vac  fans are loud as heck) Probably moving a lot of air through the cabinet. But i dont think it is needed anymore in this cabinets with its new "internals".

baritonomarchetto

• Offline Offline
« Reply #47 on: February 09, 2022, 08:28:33 am »
If you have removed the original CRTs, there's no need to leave those isolation transformers inside the cabinet. They were used to keep separate CRTs chassis power supply from mains and reduce the input voltage to 110VAC

flybynight

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 22, 2024, 06:30:47 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #48 on: February 09, 2022, 03:33:27 pm »
What model is the CRT? It may well be a tri sync which is absolutely perfect for a driving cab.

Even if it's not tri sync, it is at least a 31K 640x480 monitor. This would still be great for driving games as you can put a scanline in the 480p image for the 240p 15K games and they will look wonderful plus you can play newer games at their native 640x480. Most teknoparrot driving games still look beautiful when patched to 640x480

I'd definitely try to keep the CRT if you can.

Edit - just read your post that it is a trisync. I beg you to keep one side with the crt. Running an older 15K game like outrun or chase HQ etc on a tri sync is a sight to behold, likewise for Sega Model 2 medium res games like Daytona and Sega Rally look beautiful in their native resolution. You actually have the ultimate CRT monitor for a driving cab right there.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2022, 03:50:32 pm by flybynight »

Empo

• Offline Offline
« Reply #49 on: February 12, 2022, 05:58:05 pm »
If you have removed the original CRTs, there's no need to leave those isolation transformers inside the cabinet. They were used to keep separate CRTs chassis power supply from mains and reduce the input voltage to 110VAC

I fixed myself a problem i think doing so. I now have sometimes "disturbing noice" in the seat speakers. Depending on what is up and running in the cab. The seat speakers has a little own soundcard getting 12vdc from the original 5/12vdc PSU in the cab that was feed from the transformer.

I think the solution i will try is to instead feed the little soundboard with 12vdc from the PC  PSU instead. What do you think about that?

baritonomarchetto

• Offline Offline
« Reply #50 on: February 13, 2022, 07:46:16 am »
A shared PSU is going to add noise instead, but you can try: the PC PSU is likely more than enought for those additional loads.
The solution will likely be to recap the audio amp or replace it with a cheap cinese amp (I like very much those based on TDA2030 regulator: solved noise issues often in my projects)
« Last Edit: February 13, 2022, 07:53:41 am by baritonomarchetto »

Empo

• Offline Offline
« Reply #51 on: February 15, 2022, 06:47:29 pm »
The project is rolling on. I am still working and wanted to update so you dont think i have forgotten this  :cheers:

No electric or software jobs right now. I am doing the handwork to implement the 32" LCD in Cab #2. Wich involves cutting, plasting, welding, measuring and MUCH grinding etc etc. Very booring work when you have done it one time already. Well its going to be a bit easier as i had already done the trial and error in this. But the plasting and grinding takes time.. and the time to wait for the stuff to hardening i cant do much about.  :angry:

Reply to earlier comment in the tread: In this project i am not going to run earlier 15, 24K games. This twincab setup is mainly going to run the newer arcade games. Mainly the PC based ones there is out. But who knows, there will maybe be more project in the future. As i now have 2  "mint" condition Wei-Ya 29" inch trisyncs CRTīs to use in future plans.  :applaud: