Main > Driving & Racing Cabinets

Driving twincabinet project (Emulator)

(1/11) > >>

Empo:
Hello!   :)
New to the forum and have just purchased a twin driving cab. It was not meant, is was a impulse purchase at a very good price  :applaud:

The machine itself is like new condition, has probably never been out in the "public". Its made by IGS in Taiwan 2008 with the 2005 game "Speed Driver Evolution" that i think is a "clone" of another arcade game. The cab also looks like a clone from a SEGA cab. 29" CRT screens with trisync. The "brain" in this thing is 1 ordinary PC with a 64gb SD card as HDD, but the card is empty so i can not start it upp.

So my plan is to install emulator in this twin cab as i think its perfect for that!. But i am going to need some help down the road i am sure of..  :cheers:

First thing i need to solve is interfacing the controls, steering and so on. And that i think can do witout any bigger problems. But the force feedback is another question, and for others i have read in this forum. So tips and hints on what soulotion i should look into would be great!

The "original" PC has a PCI card connected to both cabīs  I/O and FFB board with one type "COM" port, and one type "Printer" port. I think the boards looks a lot like the ones i have seen in pictures of SEGA cabs. I will probably never find drivers and so for this setup i think, i will probably have to fix this with another solution..right?

Empo:
After some years i decided to make something out of this machine finally.

Started to experiment with Arduino projects for I/O. I got Modell 2-3 games running in it emulated. But there was i bit of problems always. And i am unfortunately not an expert on CRTīs. Then it stood still for some years. I have decided to make this a machine running Teknoparrot with newer games. And convert to LCDs (donīt kill me yet.. ) The CRTīs will surely come in handy in other projects in the future.

For the I/O to controllers i will test and use EMC development (FB) solution with an Arduino Leonardo board to integrate controllers and hopefully get the original FFB mechanism in the cab working. I have all the PCBīs and so on for it at my workshop right now. This solution requires a rotary encoder to work. So i started out by dismount the potīs in the steering assembly and adapting in rotary encoders instead.

Empo:
2 x PSUīs for FFB and motor driver boards, and LCDīs i found cheap in the after christmas sales for the project. :cheers:

Empo:
Well... the 32" LCD is quite larger than the original bezel.. of course. But i want it to look so much original i could make it. Inspired by a french guy who did this already. (delo delo on YT)

This model of cab has around 730mm -ish between the panels of room for a screen. My newly purchased LCDs are 720mm wide. Thought at first that i had to dismantle the LCDs housings. But i think now that i dont need to that. (i tried to...but it was hell. Think i will broke them before i got the plastics gone..)

So what to do. Start modifying the original bezels. As this is somewhat an asian "clone" or what it is from the SEGA Modell3 cabs i did not bother so much about preserving it original. As it is not an original. So i started to cutting it up. Glue. Polyester fiberglass. Welding. Cutting. Grinding. Plastics. and so on.... many hours spent on this.

Empo:
The modified bezel that is going to hold the LCD screen is beginning to be finished. I think it looks very OK and has a "original look " despite the heavy modification.

I cutted the plastics around the original OSD buttons on the back, to solder in a remote panel that i am going to mount in the cabinets little service door for the original monitors potīs PCB. Tested and working  :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version