Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Arcade Plans for Narrow Stairs?  (Read 5583 times)

Demon-Seed

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 04, 2022, 09:51:02 am
    • DemonCade (WORKING URL!)
Arcade Plans for Narrow Stairs?
« on: December 29, 2018, 10:07:50 am »
Hey Guys,
It has been a long time!!! Been over a decade since I built a cab! Well I am back and looking at building a slim that will fit up my narrow/steep stairs to my attic.  I am after a slim full standup fighter style that I can fit up the steep stairs.  Is there any plans or suggestions?  I would appreciate it.  My 11 year old is pumped to design one.  It has been some time... and I have the itch.  I do have most of the controls! Just need a tv and few other parts.  Also will be looking for artwork designs if anyone has suggestions for who/where to go....

take care.....

Jim
Life is like a video game, a good one never dies..

Pacmaniac

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 23, 2021, 04:14:53 pm
  • Beginning Builder
Re: Arcade Plans for Narrow Stairs?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2018, 02:11:48 pm »
Jim,

Shooting completely off the cuff here, but, do you think it's possible that you could put something together that you assemble in place? What I mean is- plan, cut, fit, etc in your work space, but don't actually glue/drive screws in until you've all the parts up the stairs? Seems like one possibility, though less than ideal. Then you'd be less constrained, at least.

thomas_surles

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 19, 2023, 07:20:00 pm
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2018, 02:53:39 pm »
Viewlix with removable cp?

Zebidee

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:18:11 pm
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2018, 07:18:50 pm »
Thoughts:

1 - Bartop or sit-down styled cabinet, cuts out a lot of cab that isn't really necessary
2 - Multiple parts (TV/PC/control panel)
3 - Remove roof tiles and lift cab into attic from outside!
Check out my completed projects!

Demon-Seed

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 04, 2022, 09:51:02 am
    • DemonCade (WORKING URL!)
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2018, 09:46:07 pm »
I was thinking I could build it in pieces......? be nice to assemble it and be able to take it down ?

Jim
Life is like a video game, a good one never dies..

jdevane

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 29, 2023, 09:27:07 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2018, 11:05:57 pm »
I took a set of Galaga full scale plans and chop the back half off and will be using a 39" led tv mounted vertically as my screen which will also show the bezel and marquee for a near perfect sized original gameplay field.  The Cabinet retains it's original width of 24" or so but is still heavy enough to not move around while playing.  I actually just tested the tv and the little windows 10 mini pc, I have a big 24" x 36" lexan sheet for my screen cover which I will outline with black vinyl.  I could actually get away using the tv speakers but I will install a 4" speaker as planned.  I also want to run a top vent fan but a 120mm fan touches the back of the tv and the back of my interior support pieces so I haven't decided if that is needed or not.  When I get more finished, who knows when that will be, I will do a full post/write up.  I have a vinyl cutter that I can put a pen in and draw on paper so that's how I make my templates for cutting out my wood.  I also have a QBert I wanna do but instead of chopping the back half off I am going to try just shrinking the depth of the cabinet in half to retain its shape....

With the Galaga, I can actually order a set of repo graphics for the whole thing and they will fit, the sideart will have to go down like Arcade1up did but I think it will look good still, rather have it big than shrunk.  Added a photo to show what I mean of my Galaga adjustments.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2018, 11:07:48 pm by jdevane »

Zebidee

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:18:11 pm
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2018, 11:11:09 pm »
LCD TVs are fantastic for people with narrow stairwells
Check out my completed projects!

ark_ader

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2019, 07:35:34 pm
  • I glow in the dark.
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2019, 02:11:50 am »
Hey Guys,
It has been a long time!!! Been over a decade since I built a cab! Well I am back and looking at building a slim that will fit up my narrow/steep stairs to my attic.  I am after a slim full standup fighter style that I can fit up the steep stairs.  Is there any plans or suggestions?  I would appreciate it.  My 11 year old is pumped to design one.  It has been some time... and I have the itch.  I do have most of the controls! Just need a tv and few other parts.  Also will be looking for artwork designs if anyone has suggestions for who/where to go....

take care.....

Jim

Buy an Arcade 1up, buy some Ply or MDF, trace out the cuts, put the Arcade 1up back in the box and take it back.  Or if you can get one for $150 get your son to put it together.  I have built cabs for the basement only to leave it there or put a sledgehammer through it.  It is great way to see how it comes together, then the second iteration you make will be much better.
If I had only one wish, it would be for three more wishes.

barrymossel

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 29, 2021, 11:25:52 am
  • Spectrum
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,157647.0.html
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2019, 07:54:40 am »
I took a set of Galaga full scale plans and chop the back half off and will be using a 39" led tv mounted vertically as my screen which will also show the bezel and marquee for a near perfect sized original gameplay field.  The Cabinet retains it's original width of 24" or so but is still heavy enough to not move around while playing.  I actually just tested the tv and the little windows 10 mini pc, I have a big 24" x 36" lexan sheet for my screen cover which I will outline with black vinyl.  I could actually get away using the tv speakers but I will install a 4" speaker as planned.  I also want to run a top vent fan but a 120mm fan touches the back of the tv and the back of my interior support pieces so I haven't decided if that is needed or not.  When I get more finished, who knows when that will be, I will do a full post/write up.  I have a vinyl cutter that I can put a pen in and draw on paper so that's how I make my templates for cutting out my wood.  I also have a QBert I wanna do but instead of chopping the back half off I am going to try just shrinking the depth of the cabinet in half to retain its shape....

With the Galaga, I can actually order a set of repo graphics for the whole thing and they will fit, the sideart will have to go down like Arcade1up did but I think it will look good still, rather have it big than shrunk.  Added a photo to show what I mean of my Galaga adjustments.
Or try this:

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,157647.0.html

bperkins01

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 24, 2023, 02:13:35 pm
  • Plenty of skills.. gaining experience..
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2019, 11:46:07 pm »
My cabinet is 25" deep at the widest point with the CP removed.  Uses a 32" LDC - full set up Sketchup plans too
Someone of the forum wisely told me - don't make it too big if its not needed - they were right!
My Arcade Cabinet Build and other projects here:
Centipede, Joust, Joust Cocktail, Asteroids, Galaga, Ms. Pacman Cabaret, Defender, Space Invaders Cocktail
https://bperkins.wordpress.com/