Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Segai monitor outline around graphics  (Read 711 times)

trick72

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 21, 2024, 03:49:05 am
Segai monitor outline around graphics
« on: August 12, 2022, 08:49:01 am »
Hi,

I had a cabinet which was working fine with a hantarex CRT screen and groovymame on a windows 10 system. Because the monitor broke, I replaced it with another one (Segai). I did not change anything in the configs on the PC
What I notice now is that this screen has some kind of "outline" lines around graphics and text. It's not really color bleeding, it's like extra pixels added to the outline of the graphic. This is perhaps best explained with the help of some images I took.

When I lower the general brightness, the effect becomes much more prominent. Giving the screen more contrast and brightness lessens the problem a bit but not to a "normal" level.

I tried to hook up a real NeoGeo Arcade console with Metal Slug via the same JAMMA interface and then the picture is perfect with no outlines and great colors. So the problem is not the CRT monitor.
When running the same Metal slug with groovymame on the PC, the image is again with the outlines. So it must be something related to the crt emu drivers.

Any idea what this problem could be? See images below for examples. In the last image you can see also that around text in windows explorer there are white outlines around the black text which before with the hantarex screen it was just clear black. Now it almost is unreadable.
Many thanks

trick72

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 21, 2024, 03:49:05 am
Re: Segai monitor outline around graphics
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2022, 04:55:57 am »
I did some further testings:
My cab has a JPAC (ultimarc) connected from VGA to DVI on the ATI display card.
I just tried using a different vga to dvi cable but it's the same. I have a second working mame cabinet and I even tried to use the video card of that one into this cabinet but even with that video card (which works fine and does not have the ghosting on the other cab) it has the same ghosting on this one. So it's not a cable issue, or even video card issue. I even tried another JPAC and even that does not solve it. Also reinstalling the CRT emudrivers did not change anything.
So it seems the Segai CRT has problems displaying this PC signal, while it works fine with a JAMMA/NEO GEO console signal. Very strange.
Is there a difference in signal between a 15khz PC and a real neogeo console, both via JAMMA which could cause this?