Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Space between players?  (Read 2112 times)

out51d3r

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 18, 2019, 03:04:10 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Space between players?
« on: February 16, 2019, 12:13:16 pm »
Looking for some ergonomic information.  How much space do I need between the controls for players?  Any "stick to stick" or "between 1P buttons and 2P stick" type measurements out there?  I'm deciding between a 2P panel and a 4P panel, and trying to get a good feel for how much space I'd need for the 4P.  Most 4P builds here are 40+ inches, but they usually have a trackball in between 1P and 2P, which I'm guessing adds around 4 inches to the build.

I've built several arcade sticks over the years, so I've got a good grasp on the ergonomics from a single player perspective.  Building a cabinet is different though.  Most of what would be played on it would be Street Fighter 2(and games like it) and D&D:Shadow over Mystara(and games like it).  1P and 2P would be 6 buttons, 3P and 4P would be 4 buttons(if I actually do them).  0 interest in trackballs, spinners, 4 way sticks, etc.

DetroitKP

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 09, 2019, 04:35:38 pm
Re: Space between players?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2019, 08:29:24 am »
I’m interested in folks thoughts as well.  I’m planning my first 4 player build and I’m wonder what the minimum width of my control panel should be.  36”, 40”, 42”?  Thanks!

JDFan

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 21, 2023, 04:07:42 pm
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2019, 10:25:19 am »

out51d3r

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2019, 11:59:31 am »
https://www.slagcoin.com/joystick/layout.html

I'm familiar with the layouts there, I've built several of them.  Unless I'm missing something though, they don't actually answer my question: How much space do I leave between players?

Let's say I take 2 standard SF2 layouts and put them on a panel.  How much room do I have to leave between P1's buttons and P2's stick for comfort/elbow room?  More is obviously better, but if I'm looking at adding 2 more players, space is going to be at a premium.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2019, 12:05:49 pm by out51d3r »

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 30, 2024, 05:15:46 pm
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2019, 01:29:33 pm »
I guess we need to know how fat each player will be to help out... ;)

out51d3r

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2019, 03:04:10 pm »
I guess we need to know how fat each player will be to help out... ;)

Right, clearly it's variable.  :)  I'm curious what the "standard" is, if there is one.

TBH, I haven't had much luck finding measurements for 4P panels that don't include the trackball in between 1P and 2P.  I'm not looking to build a "does everything" machine, so i'm happy to sacrifice the trackball.  It'll regain me some inches, but I suspect I can't straight take all of those inches from the panel design without people bumping elbows constantly.  Though maybe I'm wrong and I really can just move the sticks in to fill that gap.

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 30, 2024, 05:15:46 pm
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2019, 03:42:57 pm »
I haven't looked for actual measurements but I gotta believe there is something out there.  If you can pick a particular real machine that's out there odds are you can search for it's dimensions.  Most of the time folks suggest you do a mockup with cardboard to get a feel for the spacing.

Zipper

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 26, 2022, 12:32:50 pm
  • I've Built My Own Arcade Controls!!
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2019, 07:40:18 am »
If you want a real machine example of 4p that works well, but is small (relatively speaking)... Maybe look at the Sega Swing layout. This layout only works because the button-arc is angled such that p1 and p4 stand pretty much side-on to the machine (especially p4). it's 844mm (~33") long. I've had some great 4p sessions with some mates (and we're not small people).

Here's a picture: https://www.arcadeartshop.com/product/sega-swing-4-player-control-panel-overlay-cpo/
« Last Edit: February 19, 2019, 07:43:59 am by Zipper »

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 03:45:20 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2019, 07:54:41 am »
Go here:

https://www.classicarcadecabinets.com/teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-4-player.html

There is a .dxf download of the control panel. That is a good place to start.

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:37:11 am
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2019, 10:49:08 am »
Make a cardboard mock-up and get your friends to stand around it.