Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Newbie GroovyArcade Questions - How do I run FBA games?  (Read 1455 times)

jimmyj1979

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 02, 2022, 07:26:01 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Newbie GroovyArcade Questions - How do I run FBA games?
« on: December 21, 2018, 07:52:28 pm »
Hi Guys

Kinda newbie here...

I currently have a working Jamma 15khz Cab, as well as a working Rpi2Jamma system and everything is great apart from the Pi being a little underpowered.

I built a groovyarcade box based on all the online specs and have a Jpac. Everything works, installed groovyarcade with AttractMode front end, all ok. I can play Mortal Kombat 1, 2 and 3 flawlessly (flawless victory? :P)

The question now is how do i run my favourite 2d fighters like MvC SFIII:3rd Strike and SFZ3? I have previously run them using FBA under the Pi and they work well.

Can attract mode run FBA as well? How does this all fit into the GroovyArcade landscape? Is GroovyArcade just a shell for other Emus? or am I locked into the Mame landscape?

PS I am keen to stay within Linux unless there is compelling reasons to switch to XP or Win7, i have a Win7 install already for GroovyMame but havent done much with it yet.

Cheers :) Jim

PS here are some pics of my installs to date

https://imgur.com/a/rYUpJ0S

https://imgur.com/a/epgrBEt

SteelRush

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 16, 2023, 02:17:52 pm
Re: Newbie GroovyArcade Questions - How do I run FBA games?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2018, 08:36:35 pm »
If your PC is sufficient, just run SFIII and SFZ in MAME.  No need for a separate emulator.

Attract Mode can run any emulator or program, so you are not locked in by using it.

GroovyArcade is just a Linux distro that runs whatever frontend you configure.  As any Linux, there are multiple arcade emulator options.  The Raspberry Pi on RetroPie is running Linux as well for comparison.  The Pi tends to run older versions of MAME because the emulation was not as accurate, thus did not require nearly as much power.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2018, 08:41:26 pm by SteelRush »

jimmyj1979

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 02, 2022, 07:26:01 am
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2018, 10:49:48 pm »
Thanks mate, Im running the groovyarcade 2017 release, how would i know what version mame romset i need for the SF games?

My PC is an i5 Quad 4670 with 8gb ram and 2x120gb SSD's and an ATI 4550

SteelRush

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 16, 2023, 02:17:52 pm
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2018, 06:57:13 am »
Thanks mate, Im running the groovyarcade 2017 release, how would i know what version mame romset i need for the SF games?

My PC is an i5 Quad 4670 with 8gb ram and 2x120gb SSD's and an ATI 4550

That PC should be plenty powerful to run even fairly demanding games like Blitz.  So SF III should be cake for it.

I personally use Windows simply because there are more emulators and games available for that platform.  You could just update GroovyArcade to the latest release so you are certain of which version you are running.