Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Need resisters and capacitors for Rowe Ami R90 amp  (Read 3157 times)

kissfan1971

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 04, 2019, 02:21:36 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Need resisters and capacitors for Rowe Ami R90 amp
« on: December 19, 2018, 11:56:08 pm »
I recently purchased my first jukebox. It came with replacement 10" kicker 8 ohm subs and has the original 5" mid/high speakers. The 5" speakers do not work.

I decided to take everything out to clean and go through everything. Have continuity with all wires. The 5" 1.5 ohm speakers only read 0.5. I was checking the amps circuit boards and most of the resisters show no readings. Only a couple did.

In order to test them, do they need to be removed? Sorry I am new to jukeboxes. I did restore a ms Pac man and made it a multicade. But I am ignorant on home audio and jukeboxes as far as trouble shooting and restoring.

I was able to adjust the tone arm because it did not start at the beginning of the song and would not go back after the song ended. The subs have more base than I care for. Other than the 5" speakers not working, 45's play fine. Slight hum from power supply.

I was wondering where can I get the resisters and capiciters for the amp? I have the owners manual and also have circuit board cleaner. I live in Arizona so moisture is not an issue. Looks like it was last services in 2007 per sticker.

I paid $300 for it and the seller delivered it and they lived an hour and a half away. Thanks for any help.

BigBird0000

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 06, 2019, 05:08:21 pm
Re: Need resisters and capacitors for Rowe Ami R90 amp
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2019, 01:26:05 pm »
You can get resistors and capacitors at almost any electronics place.
I frequently use justradios.com (he is in canada).

The electrolytic (lytic) capacitors have a PLUS and MINUS side, so you need to be careful when reinstalling them.
They also come in radial (wires come out same side of tube) and axial wires come out different sides.
The voltage of a replacement cap must be the same OR larger than the original voltage, and the capacitance should be as close
as possible to the original (if same capacitance is not available, use the next highest value).  Lytics also tend to go bad especially if not used for
a while. I would recommend you replace them even if they are good, DISCHARGE CAPACITORS BEFORE TOUCHING THE LEADS.

Resistors have to give some sort of value. Looking at the schematic, the value you get can read at the correct value or lower - you need to remove
at least 1 side to test accurately.  You need to use the same wattage OR larger, and the same resistance value. Look for discolored sections of the PCB or resistors - that indicates too much heat, and that could cause a resistor to go bad quickly. Resistors change value with age, but most of
the time it will still be in tolerance.

Check physical size of components if you go to a larger wattage or larger voltage or capacitance.

If you need other help, please contact me.

ami-man

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 19, 2020, 01:22:45 pm
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2019, 09:20:40 am »
Hello Kissfan1971,

I suggest that you send your amplifier to AB Leisure in the USA for testing/repair rather than messing about with the components on the amplifier. If you were in Europe I would say to end the amplifier to me in the UK for a similar service.

Regards
Alan

Alan Hood
ami-man
UK

jennifer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 11, 2023, 06:24:58 am
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2019, 04:02:37 pm »
You may want to start by looking at the manual and making sure those new speakers are of the correct impedance, your amp is designed to drive a specific resistance....Victory glass (Us) sells cap kits, and manuals, but I don't believe those big fitter cans are made anymore, and you will get a series of smaller caps. And yes it is true you need to remove one leg of the resistors to test, But for now that's probibally not the problem or issue.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2019, 04:11:07 pm by jennifer »

stingman

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 17, 2021, 12:48:33 pm
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2019, 08:26:10 am »
You can get resistors and caps from Digikey or Newarks.

ami-man

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 19, 2020, 01:22:45 pm
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2019, 10:44:10 am »
I recently purchased my first jukebox. It came with replacement 10" kicker 8 ohm subs and has the original 5" mid/high speakers. The 5" speakers do not work.

I decided to take everything out to clean and go through everything. Have continuity with all wires. The 5" 1.5 ohm speakers only read 0.5. I was checking the amps circuit boards and most of the resisters show no readings. Only a couple did.

In order to test them, do they need to be removed? Sorry I am new to jukeboxes. I did restore a ms Pac man and made it a multicade. But I am ignorant on home audio and jukeboxes as far as trouble shooting and restoring.

I was able to adjust the tone arm because it did not start at the beginning of the song and would not go back after the song ended. The subs have more base than I care for. Other than the 5" speakers not working, 45's play fine. Slight hum from power supply.

I was wondering where can I get the resisters and capiciters for the amp? I have the owners manual and also have circuit board cleaner. I live in Arizona so moisture is not an issue. Looks like it was last services in 2007 per sticker.

I paid $300 for it and the seller delivered it and they lived an hour and a half away. Thanks for any help.

Hi kissfan1971,

Those 5.25 inch speakers are 8 ohm speakers.

Regards
Alan

Alan Hood
ami-man
UK