Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Changing centering grommet on Galaga cabinet  (Read 984 times)

arcadefan99

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 19, 2018, 06:44:58 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Changing centering grommet on Galaga cabinet
« on: December 19, 2018, 01:33:42 pm »
My centering grommet was totally deteriorated so I bought a replacement.  The problem is I can't get the old one out.

There appears to be a metal ring or such above the rubber.  Maybe it is rusted to the joystick shaft?

Anyone have a tip to get the old grommet off?  I have attached a picture of the problem joystick.

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 30, 2024, 09:10:09 am
Re: Changing centering grommet on Galaga cabinet
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2018, 01:57:28 pm »
wasn't a galaga joystick but an old used joystick off ebay and the grommet was completely frozen to the shaft.
I had to use penetrating oil on it for a few days to get it loose.
WD-40 I think or PB blaster.
It took days because I didn't want to bathe the whole joystick in it nor use a torch or take a hammer and punch to it either.

I did use vice grips and a vice with the end of the handle wrapped in duct tape so the vice didn't chew it up.
Might of just worked without the penetrating oil also.

arcadefan99

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2018, 02:07:22 pm »
OK, thanks that's what I was thinking.  I have sprayed it carefully with PB Blaster and will let it sit for awhile.  Might have to repeat it a couple times.  Thanks for the confirmation.

arcadefan99

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2018, 06:44:58 pm »
Sorry to double post but the PB Blaster did its work!  Had to take a hammer and sharply strike the end of the shaft and after a couple times out it came.  Man it was rusted solid to the old grommet.

Anyway, changed the grommet out and reassembled and works great now.  Thanks for your advice and suggestions!

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 30, 2024, 09:10:09 am
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2018, 10:13:31 pm »
Sorry to double post but the PB Blaster did its work!  Had to take a hammer and sharply strike the end of the shaft and after a couple times out it came.  Man it was rusted solid to the old grommet.

Anyway, changed the grommet out and reassembled and works great now.  Thanks for your advice and suggestions!

:cheers: