Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: When tightening buttons artwork changes  (Read 2493 times)

fl00die

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 18, 2018, 10:26:49 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
When tightening buttons artwork changes
« on: December 17, 2018, 12:15:22 pm »
Hi guys

Bit of a wierd one here. I guess youll ask for pics but whilst im travlling thought id post.

Ive had my artwork printed and stuck the adhesive vinyl down on top of my control panel. When i lay the plexi over the top then insert and tighten all the buttons using the tighening bolts that come with each button there seems to be marks appear around the button perimeter on the artwork. As if its been tightened too much. However the only way to stop this marking is to not tighen them up and leave them very loose.

Its all pure white art aroung all the buttons so this slightly darker marking is quite apparent. Ive cleaned the understide of the plexi and the artwork itself which made it a tad better but its still there. Ive searched and cant find other people having this problem but it must exist surely.

Any help much appreciated guys
« Last Edit: December 17, 2018, 12:17:19 pm by fl00die »

yamatetsu

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 04:06:09 am
  • Just because.
Re: When tightening buttons artwork changes
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2018, 04:13:48 pm »
I think that I had a similar problem with my CP. The art wasn't vinyl, but when I screwed my plexi layer down, I got a sort of 'wet' effect around the buttons.

Take a look at this http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,140758.msg1462903.html#msg1462903, maybe it helps. Keep reading 'till page 6.

If you have a scrap piece of the art vinyl, you can try the clearcoat on that.

fl00die

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 18, 2018, 10:26:49 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2018, 09:36:33 am »
AHHHH maybe that is it!!

Brilliant thank you. Thats exactly the problem i am having. I was pretty sure others were having it too but just not as fussy as me. but i dont think i am being fussy as it just looks messy around every button.

I am going to try a Matt spray over it, and also will reorder my artwork in a Matt form. That has to be the problem, and solution!

Will keep you updated

Great cabinet by the way

Dave

yamatetsu

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 04:06:09 am
  • Just because.
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2018, 02:43:53 pm »
If you happen to have a scrap piece of plexi, you might try apply a light clear coat it's backside, screw it on and see if that works. If it's just a matter of putting something between the vinyl and the plexi, it should theoretically be possible to apply the coat to the plexi, which, worst case, is a lot cheaper to replace than the artwork.