Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Less visible scanlines with some games  (Read 1564 times)

Professor Jones

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 09, 2021, 02:24:19 pm
  • Ain't nothing like the real thing
Less visible scanlines with some games
« on: December 16, 2018, 04:49:59 pm »
Hey,

I'm enjoying my groovymame setup a lot. There's nothing like playing retro games on a CRT !

The only thing bugging me is the lack of an universal solution for perfect screen size adjustments. I set up my TV for CPS 1/2 games since I'm a huge fan of these systems, and for the most part the other systems are not stretched enough horizontally. Not a big deal, but some Midway and Irem games are stretched too much vertically (R-Type, MK...) and a good portion of the screen is hidden. From what I've read there's not much to do about it and the only solution is to have a set easy to access controls to do it on the fly for each system.

Anyway, I'm wondering about another minor problem that might have an explanation or solution.

I really like the Konami game Violent Storm, and for some reason it doesn't look great on my CRT (one of the last Sony Trinitron models) : the scanlines are barely visible, when on another game running on the same system, Mystic Warriors, the scanlines are well defined. Is this normal ? Here are some pics :

https://photos.app.goo.gl/QSvrM1DEMDXoSSMY7
« Last Edit: December 16, 2018, 04:54:16 pm by Professor Jones »

Paradroid

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2024, 04:50:06 pm
    • SCART Hunter
Re: Less visible scanlines with some games
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2018, 04:57:37 pm »
The only thing bugging me is the lack of an universal solution for perfect screen size adjustments. I set up my TV for CPS 1/2 games since I'm a huge fan of these systems, and for the most part the other systems are not stretched enough horizontally.

Super-resolutions are the answer. According to your screenshots, you're not using them.

That will solve all issues with horizontal centering and sizing. The vertical size thing can't be overcome (as you already know). Just something we have to live with.
My MAME/SCART/CRT blog: SCART Hunter

Professor Jones

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 09, 2021, 02:24:19 pm
  • Ain't nothing like the real thing
Re: Less visible scanlines with some games
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2018, 03:13:04 pm »
Man, I can't thank you enough for pointing that out ! The first time I set up my modelines I followed Calamity's guide so I did use super resolutions, but when I updated it after a year I forgot the step where you must select the proper ini for the super resolutions. God knows how much time it would have taken me to notice this. And Violent Storm now looks perfect. Needless to say, I'm quite happy :D

https://photos.app.goo.gl/L7m2hJ3QEE1vGV5bA