Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Wavy distortion on Trinitron TV  (Read 1814 times)

Professor Jones

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 09, 2021, 02:24:19 pm
  • Ain't nothing like the real thing
Wavy distortion on Trinitron TV
« on: December 13, 2018, 04:23:17 pm »
I just bought a Sony KV-21CL10B for a dedicated groovymame PC and after some fiddling with the settings I'm getting a very nice picture. However, something is bugging me : there is at all times (no source/any source or resolution) some sort of wavy distortion on the image. This is especially apparent on the contours of white letters on a black background. I tried to capture this on video (this is just the OSD of the TV, it seemed to be the easiest way to show it on film) :

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipOXksXdn9gHBBavIyExYJqJj57GNFe1T2PYfK2RhYvk9igDAqEFSYdAvmkXqASotg?key=ZVFuYlJuTEU3b003dThzQzFjbVBZdUpkT1Y0NmtB

How can I get rid of this ?

Thanks !

Edit :

Here's another video : https://photos.app.goo.gl/FrFkgVAeu4NbTgDT7

I did an additional test : I shut off all the electrical equipment close to the TV and the problem was still there. It's reminiscent of the noise you get when you have a low quality RF signal. It's like there is white noise underneath the picture.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2018, 01:07:30 am by Professor Jones »

nipsmg

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 08:44:56 am
  • ROONEY!! ERRGH!!
    • Arcadia
Re: Wavy distortion on Trinitron TV
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2018, 09:04:12 am »
Does this only happen when the computer is attached?

I had the same problem on my trinitron.  Turns out it was caused by dirty power -- Crappy PC PSU.  I replaced the PSU, nice CLEAN, clear picture.

Professor Jones

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2018, 05:00:27 am »
Thanks for your suggestion, in my case the problem is present even when the TV is plugged in by itself without any other electrical device close to it, in any room of the house. That seems to indicate that the source of the problem is internal.

big10p

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 01, 2023, 01:46:23 pm
  • Mmmm, arcade classics!
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2018, 06:14:09 am »
Maybe a cap needs replacing. Possibly the main power smoothing cap? Just guessing here, really.

Professor Jones

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2018, 02:17:05 pm »
I opened the TV to visually check the caps, and they all seem fine, with no sign of deformation on the top or leaking.

Could this be caused by the tuner picking up frequencies ? Would it be possible and beneficial to deactivate it since I will never use it ?
« Last Edit: December 15, 2018, 03:54:03 pm by Professor Jones »