Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Happ Competition vs. IL Eurostick  (Read 3596 times)

TheManuel

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 07, 2020, 10:15:48 am
  • On and off hobbyist
Happ Competition vs. IL Eurostick
« on: December 12, 2018, 10:52:02 am »
I have Happ Competition joysticks on my cabinet and love them, as they are similar to what I grew up with.  I  bought them about 16 years ago.
I'm building a very basic single player control panel on the cheap for a friend of mine.  He really want's Happ sticks like mine, being another old geezer that grew up with arcade games.  While researching, I ran into this post that has given me pause on the Happ Competition sticks:
Just a heads up to everybody looking to get into the cabinet scene or somebody looking to upgrade.

These sticks are absolute crap and the new actuator Happ made via their Chinese manufacturer sucks for doing proper diagonal motions. I bought some because they came with all the buttons and stuff I needed.

I used them for about 2 weeks before I got fed up and ordered IL Eurostick's. They are identical to the competition, but use the old style actuator. They are perfect and no more missed inputs.

Happy gaming!

There seemed to be a few replies agreeing with the post's author. 
Does anybody here have any experience with recently shipped Happ Competition sticks?

While we're at it, some even mention differences between Happ's competition buttons and IL's similar convex buttons.
Is this difference significant?

As I mentioned, this project is on the cheap and Tornado Terry's sells the Competition stick and buttons for a very low price, but they don't sell the IL Eurostick.  Focus Attack sells the IL stick and buttons and offer free economy shipping.  Basically the difference between buying everything Happ vs. IL (including buttons) would be $9.  It's low enough that I would go the IL route if it's going to be better but I don't to just throw the money away if it will hardly make a difference.

Comments will be appreciated.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2018, 02:55:38 pm by TheManuel »
"The Manuel"

barrymossel

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 29, 2021, 11:25:52 am
  • Spectrum
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,157647.0.html
Re: Happ Competition vs. IL Eurostick
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2018, 07:54:52 am »
I have watched some videos about this some months ago and I would personally go the IL route:

TheManuel

• Offline Offline
  • On and off hobbyist
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2018, 09:47:29 am »
Thank, man.  Good videos.  I'm ordering IL's just to be safe.
"The Manuel"

RandyT

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 15, 2024, 04:06:30 pm
  • Friends don't let friends hack keyboards.
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2018, 01:19:52 pm »
I have watched some videos about this some months ago and I would personally go the IL route:

Those videos are outdated.  Happ upgraded the Competitions about a year ago, when they started using some very nice black Cherry switches.  They feel and perform great now. 

TheManuel

• Offline Offline
  • On and off hobbyist
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2018, 02:08:12 pm »
Thanks for the info.  Just this morning I ordered the IL joystick and some Hap concave buttons for a bit more than I could have paid for the Hap Competition joystick and buttons.  I'm assuming I can't go wrong with either the IL or the Happ joystick, then.
"The Manuel"