Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: logging out of arcade games machine  (Read 1243 times)

techoff2

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 19, 2024, 12:37:33 am
logging out of arcade games machine
« on: December 11, 2018, 04:58:02 am »
Can anyone give advise on how to add a exit on screen button to be able to log out off an arcade games machine.
I believe that my HDD has had the operating system corrupted because the only way to shut the machine down was to remove power.
Being Windows based the operating system likes to be able to close files before removing power.
Would a good emulation program have the ability to add this process?
The games were being display and played correctly, however there was no exit procedure on the screen.

Thanks

keilmillerjr

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 06, 2023, 10:20:39 pm
  • Web Developer.
Re: logging out of arcade games machine
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2018, 06:12:41 am »
Have your front end send the terminal command to shutdown windows. I use attractmode, but I think just about every front end would have a feature to send a command on shutdown of the app.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 08:51:45 am
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2018, 06:20:47 am »
My machine runs XP. I have a button on the top of my cab that is connected to the power switch header pins on my PC. I just push the button and windows runs through its shutdown.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 08:51:45 am
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2018, 06:25:38 am »
I also have a spare duplicate SSD drive. If the original ever craps out I can just throw in the spare.

big10p

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 01, 2023, 01:46:23 pm
  • Mmmm, arcade classics!
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2018, 07:02:37 am »
I believe you can use Windows 7 Embedded to allow you to just power off a cab. I haven't looked into this myself though, as I don't find pressing a 2 button combo for shutdown much hassle. Only takes a couple of seconds to shutdown with an SSD, so it's all done by the time I reach the mains power switch.

Anyway, you may like to look at this thread on UKVAC:
http://www.ukvac.com/forum/read-only-windows-7_topic366332.html

wp34

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2022, 09:48:19 pm
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2018, 08:15:05 am »
In addition to wiring up a power button you may also have to go into Control Panel and tell Windows to shut down the computer when power is pressed.  I believe this is under the "Power Options" in CP.  I have both XP and Windows 7 cabs set up this way and have not had any issues.