Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Top Fire 4-8 Way Switchable Joystick?  (Read 2235 times)

dpisacane

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 03, 2022, 08:47:31 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Top Fire 4-8 Way Switchable Joystick?
« on: December 10, 2018, 10:01:48 pm »
Hello all,

I have a question that I have not been able to find the answer to after what I would consider a pretty exhaustive search online (including these forums).  I apologize in advance if I have broken some rule on here or not followed protocol.  I genuinely am sorry, but I just have not been able to figure this out at all.

I am thinking about starting my first serious arcade cabinet project.  It is pretty basic.  My idea is to make a machine for playing some of the vertical display games that I would like to play, but the one issue I have encountered is this.  This cabinet must play Arkanoid well, as it is one of two arcade games that my wife really loves.  I, personally, want to be able to have a reasonably authentic experience playing Tron.  Aside from those, I would want to be able to play the typical vertical arcade games well (Donkey Kong, Frogger, Mappy, etc.) as well as many of the shooters that are out there.  With all of that said, it seems like I would need the following to be really successful.

- A good spinner (I've read that the Spin Trak is particularly good for Arkanoid)
- A 4/8 way switchable joystick (I love how the Mag-Stik Plus makes it so easy to change between 4 and 8 way)
- A button on top of the joystick for Tron

That last one is where I seem to run into trouble.  I have not been able to find a top fire 4/8 way switchable joystick to save my life.  Is this just not a thing?  Am I missing something? 

Thanks in advance for any advice on this issue.  I am genuinely excited about this project, as I have been toying with the idea of putting together a MAME cabinet for over a decade now, and I am finally dipping my toes into the water.

EwJ

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 12, 2022, 10:16:06 pm
Re: Top Fire 4-8 Way Switchable Joystick?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2018, 12:07:08 am »
You will have trouble finding a decent 4/8 way with top fire.
One thing that may work for you is this high-end spinner that has push/pull capability to activate switches here

Another that might work for you is a high-end joystick with modifications here    and  here      

Edit:  Keep in mind that the Arkanoid spinner was geared, not free spinning/had a different feel.  If you use any of the latest high res spinners on the market, you will need to adjust the sensitivity in Mame and possibly add some friction between the spinner knob and control panel for the same feel.  You can likely find a good compromise that will work and you can adjust to.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2018, 12:15:44 am by EwJ »

dpisacane

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2018, 08:52:15 am »
Yeah, that is exactly what I feared.  I don't have anywhere near the skills required to do something like that, which is a shame, since it is exactly what I'm looking for.

So, do I really have to give up on Tron?  It seems that way, as the button spinner seems like it is an expensive, compromised solution anyway.

I guess my only other question is, if I had to go with either a 4-way or 8-way stick, which should I choose?  I haven't seen much consensus, but from what I can gather, the 8-way is probably the best choice, despite the fact that it will make the game play on a lot of the games less than ideal.

Any advice is greatly welcome.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2023, 08:05:48 am
  • I have a gaming addiction.....
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2018, 09:24:08 am »
The whole 4 way or 8 way thing has been covered a million times.

The general jist is if you use a 8 way stick 4 way games play like ass.
If you use a 4 way you cant play 8 way.

The mag stick is great but not a normal feeling stick so its a love hate thing.

Other option and preferred by most is to have 2 8 way sticks and 1 dedicated 4 way.

As for the spinner, Yeah spin traks are awesome but look up the turn ratio page so you can set it up properly for each game.

dpisacane

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2018, 02:22:35 pm »
Yeah, I'm not trying to make you guys explain, yet again, the merits of 4 vs 8-way.  The main thing here is that I am trying to build a simple first cabinet to dip my toes into this whole world.  Down the road I want to build a bigger, more complete cabinet with multiple sticks, etc.

Thanks a lot for all of the advice so far. 

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Mr. Peabody

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 05, 2019, 02:30:42 pm
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2018, 01:41:54 pm »
I don't recall what games used a top-fire. Why, when you can have buttons next to it?

MCTS

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 01:34:34 pm
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2018, 07:33:10 pm »
So, do I really have to give up on Tron?  It seems that way, as the button spinner seems like it is an expensive, compromised solution anyway.

I just made some modifications to an X-Arcade Tankstick, with similar goals to what you described.  I wanted to add a spinner, and be able to play Tron.  For the joysticks, I wound up going with two UltraStik 360s -- one ball top, and one FlightStick.  The 360s are analog, but can be programmed (using a provided Windows application) to operate in 4- or 8-way mode.  The FlightStick has a trigger and thumb button, so it can work for Tron.

I've gotten the parts installed into the X-Arcade and have proven to my satisfaction that they do work for Tron.  I think there are still some configurations settings that I can tweak to get better response, but then again I wasn't terribly good at the game when I played it in the arcade . . .
« Last Edit: December 18, 2018, 07:42:54 pm by MCTS »

MCTS

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 01:34:34 pm
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2018, 07:40:55 pm »
I don't recall what games used a top-fire. Why, when you can have buttons next to it?

Some games, like Tron, tie up your off-hand with another control.  In the case of Tron, the other device is a spinner.  For games that don't use a secondary input, I agree that a panel button is less tiring than a trigger or thumb button.

Mr. Peabody

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2018, 06:01:08 pm »
@MCTS: ohh. I use my pinkie to push the closest button.

paigeoliver

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 29, 2022, 06:10:15 pm
  • Awesome face!
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2018, 12:27:55 am »
Ok, I am going to speak here from almost 20 years of experience.

Tron support ruins any project. It puts your left hand on a low res spinner (the kind that isn't good for Arkanoid or similar games, and that in any case you would want the right hand on), then it puts your right hand on a stick that is 8-way, but can only barely trigger the diagonals. Then finally it forces your monitor to vertical, when horizontal is the better choice for most projects. This is particularly sad because Tron really isn't a good game, it is the cabinet that makes Tron, the gameplay itself is just four minigames that are just pretty versions of what was happening in 1976-1977.

Acceptance of Zen philosophy is marred slightly by the nagging thought that if all things are interconnected, then all things must be in some way involved with Pauly Shore.

Mr. Peabody

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2018, 06:54:28 pm »
Depends on your handedness and such. Sticking with left and buttoning with right has been natural to me as a right-hander. A spinner is the same as a stick, so, left hand. With a stick and spinner, movement is more important than sighting, so, right for stick, left for spinner.

Ok, I am going to speak here from almost 20 years of experience.

Tron support ruins any project. It puts your left hand on a low res spinner (the kind that isn't good for Arkanoid or similar games, and that in any case you would want the right hand on), then it puts your right hand on a stick that is 8-way, but can only barely trigger the diagonals. Then finally it forces your monitor to vertical, when horizontal is the better choice for most projects. This is particularly sad because Tron really isn't a good game, it is the cabinet that makes Tron, the gameplay itself is just four minigames that are just pretty versions of what was happening in 1976-1977.