Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Corner Mounted Arcade Machine  (Read 8342 times)

Autotec

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 25, 2019, 07:46:39 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Corner Mounted Arcade Machine
« on: December 10, 2018, 07:33:31 pm »
This project I have put off for a few years, but it has been on my mind. Looking at the parts I have available, I thought it was time to start.

Since this will be my first Arcade build, I'm going to do it on a very low budget. It will be a rather large wall mounted unit designed to go into the only corner I have left in my Rec Room. I'm still undecided on a lot of options, but I figure I can change those with time and help from you guys.

1st step is going to figure out a control layout. After considering a few different ones, I went with the one pictured. I did leave a large opening in the center for a track ball, but I need to figure out if I can use one. Still researching that.

First step was to layout the joysticks and buttons on some scrap wood. Everything will be CNC cut to make sure measurements are exact. Once this was done, I realized the wires provided with the controls kit were really short. I guess I'll be soldering and extending the harness tonight. Pics of that will come later tonight.

Well here is to a start of a new project. Wish me luck guys.

Thank you, Justin

Autotec

• Offline Offline
Re: Corner Mounted Arcade Machine
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2018, 06:27:12 pm »
I'm still in the process of creating the control harness, but that should be done tonight.

The amp was delivered today, and I already had a new set of speakers. Now just waiting on the Mother Board and processor to test the hardware.

Autotec

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2018, 09:55:09 pm »
Temporary panel wired, ready for the plugin. Once the software/hardware works together, I will build the cabinet.

Autotec

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2018, 06:59:49 pm »
Well I just seen the expected delivery date for the processor and mother board wont be until Dec 20th, so I might jump ahead and start building the cabinet. At first I was going to make a wall hanging unit/bar top, but I think my plan will be changing to a full size cabinet due to space issues with all of the components I plan on installing into it. Manly a sub-woofer.

I'm a tall guy (6"6"), plus will be using a 32" TV as a monitor, so it'll be a somewhat custom size. One thing I don't want to be doing is crouching down to play the games.

One thing I do have to decide on is a front end to use with MAME. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thank you, Justin

BGoulette

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 25, 2024, 05:19:40 pm
    • lazerjoose.com
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2018, 08:37:25 pm »
For a front end, I'd look at Attract Mode.

Autotec

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2018, 07:59:52 pm »
Thank you, I'm looking into it now.

Justin

Autotec

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2018, 10:38:05 pm »
While I was building the cabinet, looked what showed up. The Mother Board and Processor. Getting closer to having everything I need.

Autotec

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2018, 10:42:33 pm »
Now I'm no cabinet builder, so don't expect much. I'm learning as I go with this project. But here is where I am so far. The 32" monitor fits in the intended opening, but I need to figure out how to mount it. I have a few ideas, but looking at many others also. Once again, getting closer.

Autotec

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2018, 07:18:49 pm »
It's finally starting to look like something. Next up is machining the control board.

meltman

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2021, 07:45:27 pm
  • Brilliant!
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,158544.0.html
    • My arcade gallery
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2018, 03:00:11 pm »
Looks like it's really starting to take shape. Well done!

Autotec

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2018, 08:34:59 pm »
Thank you, it's getting there. It's taken more time and money than I anticipated, but the final result should be worth it.

Autotec

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2018, 08:39:29 pm »
The final piece showed up today, (roller ball) so I was able to take measurements and machine the control panel out. 1st coat of primer is on the cabinet, will be applying the second soon. With this long weekend, I should be able to get the paint done and start installing the electronics.

Autotec

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2018, 10:51:49 pm »
2 coats of oil based primer applied and sanded. My first mistake was applying the first coat with a brush, was MUCH thicker than I thought. The brush marks left behind almost didn't sand out. Second coat I applied with a roller and it turned out much better. After sanding and applying 2 coats of top coat, I got the texture I wanted. (sorry, no picture of the color)

Autotec

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2018, 04:37:41 pm »
As I look at other projects on here makes me realize I have a long way to go when it comes to building a cabinet. I'm almost embarrassed to show mine.  I give major props to everyone, there are some beautiful ones on here.

Autotec

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2018, 06:55:00 pm »
Well paint has dried enough to install the T-Molding. Time to reorganize my workshop to prepare for the electronics install.

Sorry for the poor pictures, it's hard to grab good ones with my small workshop. 

firedance

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:25:36 am
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2018, 04:32:57 am »
Coming along very nicely, thought side art vinyl was applied first, trimmed flush to get a crisp edge then the t-moulding installed ?

Autotec

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2018, 05:13:34 pm »
A few days ago I decided not to install any artwork on it. I've made enough mistakes on this cabinet to make me want to build another one come Spring time. Come Spring, the cars in my garage are movable and I'll have a ton more room to cut the wood. Plus I have learned enough on this build looking at all of yours to want to change the construction technique. At least finishing this build will teach me the software side and make it easier to transfer everything.

Plus one of my friends is purchasing a duplicate of everything I already bought and is going to use this cabinet when I build my new one. That way it wont go to waste.

I do appreciate the advice, I really do. I could use all that I can get, LOL.

Justin

DaOld Man

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 13, 2023, 12:03:14 am
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2019, 10:01:33 am »
This project is looking real good.
My projects didnt have any side art on them and I do regret that now, but you do what you want to do.
There are probably several things you will wish you did differently after the "new" wears off. And I gather that is a normal and expected thing with this hobby.

Autotec

• Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2019, 08:55:12 pm »
Very kind words, thank you. The more I put together, the better it's looking.

Autotec

• Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2019, 09:05:09 pm »
Well the PC and assorted parts were installed yesterday and booted up, everything seems to work. The one main issue is I cannot get into the BIOS to set the PC to boot when the power switch is turned on. I have 2 days into researching this, and I'm ready just to install a power switch. This is my first Windows 10 machine, so maybe something changed....

I'm going to jump to the control panel now and research some more.

Autotec

• Offline Offline
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2019, 10:02:23 pm »
Just when I thought I was good to go, both joysticks broke during the setup. I guess that's what I get for not doing more research and buying the correct parts. Switches felt good, but the joysticks never felt good. Parts came in today, rebuilding the control panel. Old is first picture, new is the later one. Still some work to do.

MartyKong

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 31, 2024, 03:47:47 pm
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2019, 11:04:16 am »
I've never tried setting the bios options, but on Win 7 running a longer power cable to your power on/off button and setting up power options through the control panel works well for me.
Win 10 may be different.

Autotec

• Offline Offline
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2019, 03:12:55 pm »
I've never tried setting the bios options, but on Win 7 running a longer power cable to your power on/off button and setting up power options through the control panel works well for me.
Win 10 may be different.

Thank you for the response. I finally found the power setting after digging around a bit. (and not so many beverages) The manual and the actual BIOs didn't match, so I'm guessing it was a older manual supplied with the motherboard. Of course that was after I purchased a power switch and drilled a hole for it.... I managed to re-purpose that hole for a spare switch that came with the joystick kit and added a second in the same location on the player 2 side.

Autotec

• Offline Offline
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2019, 03:18:48 pm »
Below is the finished joystick and button layout. Everything is tested and works, besides the roller-ball. It works as a mouse, but it doesn't work in any game. Still researching that issue. I do have to say I like the better quality of the joysticks, but I'm a little undecided on the push buttons. I miss the clicks the old ones made. Now that everything is up and running, it's time to start playing with installing Attract Mode as the front end and finish configuring all of the controls. Wish me luck, this is where my skills lack.

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:32:54 pm
  • Budgets are boring
    • newforum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,156267.0.html
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2019, 03:46:46 pm »
Everything is tested and works, besides the roller-ball. It works as a mouse, but it doesn't work in any game.

Go into your mame.ini (located in your Mame root folder).  Look for Multi-mouse and put a 1 instead of a 0.  That should solve that problem.

Also look into GSL or HLSL for making your graphics look like they originally did on a CRT with scanlines, screen curvature, etc.  Here’s a good resource IMO:

https://mameonmacs.blogspot.com/2016/01/getting-video-retro-effect-on-lcd.html?m=1

Autotec

• Offline Offline
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2019, 04:07:30 pm »
Everything is tested and works, besides the roller-ball. It works as a mouse, but it doesn't work in any game.

Go into your mame.ini (located in your Mame root folder).  Look for Multi-mouse and put a 1 instead of a 0.  That should solve that problem.

Also look into GSL or HLSL for making your graphics look like they originally did on a CRT with scanlines, screen curvature, etc.  Here’s a good resource IMO:

https://mameonmacs.blogspot.com/2016/01/getting-video-retro-effect-on-lcd.html?m=1

Perfect, thank you! I'll let everyone know if that worked.

BGoulette

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 25, 2024, 05:19:40 pm
    • lazerjoose.com
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2019, 06:17:38 pm »
Hopefully you won't have the same shader problems I've recently encountered with direct3d 9 and HLSL, but if you do, in addition to the link Arroyo posted, the info on this page helped me get bgfx up and running in its place (using d3d11 versus d3d9).

Caveat: I'm running .204: if you're running a mame version less than .172, I'm not sure how well bgfx will work.

Autotec

• Offline Offline
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2019, 08:42:54 pm »
Hopefully you won't have the same shader problems I've recently encountered with direct3d 9 and HLSL, but if you do, in addition to the link Arroyo posted, the info on this page helped me get bgfx up and running in its place (using d3d11 versus d3d9).

Caveat: I'm running .204: if you're running a mame version less than .172, I'm not sure how well bgfx will work.

Thank you for the reply. I'm running .204, so I'll be looking at the link you sent me tonight.

Still fighting with Attract Mode, doesn't seem to want to work. I can get it to load with the rom list, but the names are incorrect and all it shows me is a simple Pac Man video as seen in the attached photo. But as they say, if it was easy it wouldn't be fun.

Back to reading.

Autotec

• Offline Offline
« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2019, 08:47:23 pm »
Still fighting with Attract Mode, this is my 4th install attempt. I even offered to pay someone on the Attract Mode Forum to look at what I'm doing wrong without any takers. Is this the most user friendly front end?

Thank you, Justin

Autotec

• Offline Offline
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2019, 06:32:05 pm »
Just a small update. I have had great help from someone from the Attract Mode Forums doing everything he can to get it to run, but no luck. It will run about 15-20% of the games, but freezes when I try to load the rest. Going through the drivers now, but I don't think that is the problem.

Can anyone else recommend a second front end just to try?  I want to rule out the PC since I can load everything right from MAME.

Thank you, Justin

keilmillerjr

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 06, 2023, 10:20:39 pm
  • Web Developer.
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2019, 12:10:27 pm »
Still fighting with Attract Mode, this is my 4th install attempt. I even offered to pay someone on the Attract Mode Forum to look at what I'm doing wrong without any takers. Is this the most user friendly front end?

Thank you, Justin

Where’s the thread? I’m on the forum each day, and even develop plugins and modules others use. Send me a contact if you need help. Attractmode is not hard. You have very simple issues.

hurricanefan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 24, 2020, 10:39:14 am
« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2019, 06:33:01 pm »
It's finally starting to look like something. Next up is machining the control board.

What Model/size is your monitor? Your build is coming along nicely!

Autotec

• Offline Offline
« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2019, 08:37:51 pm »

What Model/size is your monitor? Your build is coming along nicely!

Sorry it's been a few weeks since the last update. (good reason though) Since this was a budget build, my monitor is a old 27" Westinghouse  LCD TV I had laying around. A few friends had a few concerns about the size, but it turned out to be the perfect size. Size and picture quality is perfect when standing in front of it.

Now for the delay. I had some startup issues that Keil fixed for me. (thank you Keil) I was given a hard drive from a close friend that was building a MAME machine, but was never able to finish. I'm far from a computer person, so I figured this was a good place to start.

Out of 36K ROMs installed, 12K actually worked in MAME. After spending weeks going through those 12K ROMs, only 2200 made the cut. This took time making sure the sound and graphics actually worked. So that's where I'm at now.

Right now I'm looking if I can make groups for the games and configuring the controls. Especially the roller ball, it's still working as just a mouse. This has been a learning experience and I'll share everything I figure out.

Thank you, Justin