Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: BuyingYourOwnArcadeCabinet - yes, that's where I'm going with this...  (Read 1994 times)

quarterback

• King Of The Night Time World!
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 16, 2023, 10:51:41 pm
I haven't been here since the birth of BYOAC, but I've been here for over 14years now and, after multiple original cabinets, I have to say that it's time for me to buy something new.  Not just new to me, but newly crafted.  I don't want to do any water-damage repair, or clean out any more mouse droppings, or drill out any locks, or even replace any side art.  The fact is that my time becomes more and more precious with every day so I'm in the market for a new cabinet.... a cabinet that I like...

If I had all the time and money in the world, I'd have all the cabs, but I don't so I'll have to prioritize.  I have to say that I have always loved the Taito design.  Partially because of the Taito name on the side with the art that looks so 70s.  I've also always loved the Nintendo Donkey-Kong style of cabinet because of... Donkey Kong (and Popeye which, for some reason, was always a game I liked playing) and the "Galaga style cabs as well.  I guess my first plan would be to get a cabinet with a 19" monitor for vertical games.  So, what are my options for purchasing a cab? 

- www.arcadeshop.com  so far this seems to be my best bet. Their "Midway multicade" or "nintendo" optiosn look good to me, and they also have "Williams" and "Gottlieb" options
- www.monsterarcades.com   have some slim designs and one that looks like the Arcadeshop "midway", but is more expensive

So is ArcadeShop going to be my go-to place?  Because, beyond ArcadeShop and monsterarcade.com, I haven't been able to find places that sell empty cabinets in the classic style

- www.mameroom.com (North Coast) I like the idea of a keyboard drawer and all of that, but I just don't like that style.
- www.recroommasters.com  meh, not a fan of their designs.  not "classic" enough and seem to have X-arcades dropped in to some.  weird.

- www.dreamhomearcades.com   seem to only come in multi-thousand-dollar options with parts I don't need.  I'm just looking for a cabinet
- www.xgaming.com   X-Arcades.  Same as above
- www.dreamarcades.com  Same as above
- www.custommulticades.com   have a kind of "slim" design but are like the above and not empty cabs
- www.gameroomsolutions.com  32" model.  Wide but also not very deep.

Am I missing any vendors here?  Anybody who is selling cabinets in Midway, Nintendo, Gottlieb, Williams or other classic styles or just empty options rather than some $2000+ "multicade"?
Thanks
qb

« Last Edit: December 12, 2018, 12:12:55 am by quarterback »
No crap, don't put your kids in a real fridge.
-- Chad Tower

jennifer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 11, 2023, 06:24:58 am
Re: BuyingYourOwnArcadeCabinet - yes, that's where I'm going with this...
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2018, 08:40:46 am »
It would seem like a great idea, But, an empty cab, would be almost as much work as a trauma victim, .... However if you were to get your BIG purse out, you could just buy a nice machine from a reputable vender and do nothing more than peek over giant sunglasses and point a crooked finger at what you like.

quarterback

• King Of The Night Time World!
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 16, 2023, 10:51:41 pm
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2018, 03:03:12 pm »
It would seem like a great idea, But, an empty cab, would be almost as much work as a trauma victim,"

Perhaps but, up until now, I've either started with empty cabs or had to empty them out anyway.  The filling it in with wire, power, monitor, controllers etc isn't really the big deal to me.  The issue is the damaged, ugly, scratched, broken, or even smelly aspect of my past/current cabinets.    I did once buy a new kit, but it was for a cocktail table that I never ended up using. It was from www.arcadedepot.com, and was a nice kit and well priced, but they don't seem to be around anymore.  Ultimately I didn't use it because it's a cocktail and even though I thought I'd like it, I just don't sit to play games.  I want to stand in front of a full sized machine.

However if you were to get your BIG purse out, you could just buy a nice machine from a reputable vender and do nothing more than peek over giant sunglasses and point a crooked finger at what you like.

Unfortunately, my purse isn't that big  lol   Plus, I have most of the things that I want to put into the machine.  I have wico balltop joysticks, leaf buttons, a trackball (although I might buy a new one depending on the cabinet) a monitor, jamma harness (if I need it) multiple encoders (Kade, some GGG encoder or maybe two)   

All that said, do you have any reputable vendor's you'd suggest?  Places you've bought from in the past, or even just some missing from my list?   My original post was as much about me making the list as anything else, so if there are other similar vendors I'm missing, I'm more than happy to check them out.
thanks
qb
« Last Edit: December 10, 2018, 03:07:45 pm by quarterback »
No crap, don't put your kids in a real fridge.
-- Chad Tower

jennifer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2018, 06:47:25 pm »
Jennifer had gotten quite selective in machines anymore, and even more rarely ever talk about venders good or bad...However (depending on where you live, keeping in mind shipping is quite reasonable from the eastern seaboard US.)) Anything this guy has in his showroom I would consider gold, and worth the extra money spent.  His number is on the side of the service truck at beginning of video.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:02:50 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2018, 07:17:01 pm »
Isn't that the guy that uses hookers in his advertising?

jennifer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2018, 07:27:50 pm »
Isn't that the guy that uses hookers in his advertising?
Possibly never really noticed that, spose it would help sell games, and wouldn't put it past that camera guy....But really who amongst us hasn't been bent over a few machines ::)