Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: SF2:HF Hundred-Hand Slap with Fierce Punch Button  (Read 3021 times)

TheManuel

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 07, 2020, 10:15:48 am
  • On and off hobbyist
SF2:HF Hundred-Hand Slap with Fierce Punch Button
« on: December 09, 2018, 09:16:57 pm »
Is it just me or is this move nearly impossible to perform with the Fierce punch button in the arcade version of SF2: Hyper Fighting?

Try as I might, I just can't get it and ditto for Chun-Li's or Blanka's similar button mashing moves.  If I go back to Championship Edition, then I can do it but with the increased tempo in Hyper Fighting, I just can't and I have pretty decent button pressing speed.  I've played this game for so many years and just now I noticed this because I don't usually use Fierce for those moves, precisely because I knew it was difficult to perform consistently but I did not know it was that hard.

I just want to make sure it's not an issue with my control panel.  It could also just be that I'm getting old :oldman and losing speed  :P
"The Manuel"

TheManuel

• Offline Offline
  • On and off hobbyist
Re: SF2:HF Hundred-Hand Slap with Fierce Punch Button
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2018, 10:13:33 pm »
Well, after lots of difficulty, I succeeded in switching my old, first model i-Pac back to PS/2 mode and was able to pull out the move.  It is inconsistent as I remember it but very much possible.  Perhaps it's time to update my keyboard encoder.

Does anyone know if newer i-Pac's have better performance in USB mode than the oldest ones?
In fact, if somebody currently using a newer i-Pac 2 could be so kind as to go into this game (sf2hf) and try to pull off either Honda's hundred-hand slap or Blanka's electricity with the strongest punch (fierce), and let me know if you succeed, I would be grateful.

Regards.
"The Manuel"

TheManuel

• Offline Offline
  • On and off hobbyist
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2018, 09:08:24 am »
I figured that as long as my i-Pac works and I don't need to reprogram it, which I can no longer do for some reason, I should continue to use it.  In order to be able to use it in PS/2 mode, I'll move it back to my single PS/2 port and ordered a PS/2 to USB active adapter for my trackball/spinner.  I will also test it with the i-Pac when I get it, in case I get a motherboard with no PS/2 port at all in the future. 

I'll report back here with my findings.
"The Manuel"

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 09, 2024, 07:27:18 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2018, 09:55:03 am »
Im able to do it on actual hardware but it doesnt seem worth it. The only time the Fierce HHS is worth doing is on Alpha 3.
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

TheManuel

• Offline Offline
  • On and off hobbyist
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2018, 10:03:12 am »
Yeah, it's inconsistent enough and easily jumped over that is not worth it.  Once I had the i-Pac back in PS/2 mode I was able to do it but it takes great effort, at least for me, and my arm was trashed after all of that experimenting  :hissy
"The Manuel"

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2018, 10:08:40 am »
its slightly easier to do if you start tapping the button while airborne, like a moment or 2 before you land.

TheManuel

• Offline Offline
  • On and off hobbyist
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2018, 10:10:13 am »
Nice trick.  I find Blanka's electricity more useful, when used sneakily as when an opponent is about to land on you.
"The Manuel"

Zipper

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 26, 2022, 12:32:50 pm
  • I've Built My Own Arcade Controls!!
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2018, 08:23:44 am »
I remember starting HHS with strong, then as soon as into the move, switching to fierce to speed it up. I don't remember being able to perform it only using the fierce button.

TheManuel

• Offline Offline
  • On and off hobbyist
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2018, 08:29:43 am »
You can, if you spam it like crazy.  It requires the good old trick of tensing your forearm muscles and trying to make the whole arm shake, while keeping your finger just above the button.  Maybe some people have the skill to tap it fast enough without resorting to these shenanigans but I don't.

I don't even use Honda much but I was using that move to help me determine that I was running into a limitation with my old i-Pac, by using it in USB mode.
"The Manuel"

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2018, 10:34:33 am »
You can, if you spam it like crazy.  It requires the good old trick of tensing your forearm muscles and trying to make the whole arm shake, while keeping your finger just above the button.  Maybe some people have the skill to tap it fast enough without resorting to these shenanigans but I don't.

I don't even use Honda much but I was using that move to help me determine that I was running into a limitation with my old i-Pac, by using it in USB mode.

meh, I dont think you'll hit the limits of the i-pac trying to spam that move.  I could set world records in Track and Field using the pencil trick  on my old MAME cab that had an IPAC 2.

TheManuel

• Offline Offline
  • On and off hobbyist
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2018, 10:38:38 am »
Maybe on an i-Pac 2 but check the first few posts of this thread.  I have an original i-Pac, which I bought in 2001.  When I use it in PS/2 mode, everything works great and I can pull out the move without much problem, and I'm basically limited by the physical strain, not the the encoder.  However, in USB mode, there is simply no way to pull it off, no matter how fast I shake my arm.

It's fine, though, I've decided to continue to use it in PS/2 mode and just get an adapter for my PS/2 tracbkall and spinner combo.
"The Manuel"

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2018, 10:56:53 am »
IPAC2 doesn't mean like 2.0 , it means 2 player ipac ;) Like the IPAC4 is the 4 player IPAC

PS/2 data speed is 7–12 kbit/s
USB1.1 speeds are 12 Mbit/s
USB2.0 speeds 480 Mbit/s

I had an OLD (Circa 2002) Ipac in Mortal Kabinet in USB mode, and had no problems with T&F or SF2T (I actually am a E Honda player)  If you have issues with an ipac in USB mode, you'll likely have the same issue with an adapter.  Check the USB settings in your BIOS

TheManuel

• Offline Offline
  • On and off hobbyist
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2018, 11:15:34 am »
 ;D I forgot what iPac2 referred to.  Now, I wasn't implying that the USB interface can't keep up with my lame fingering, just that there was something wrong with the iPac2 itself in USB mode.  For example, another limitation in USB mode is that I can't get shifted buttons to hold the signal when I keep them pressed. 

Also, my iPac doesn't look the one in your Mortal Kabinet at all.  Mine has the PS/2 connectors on the long edge, and most of the inputs are in a long continuous terminal block, with a few at a 90º angle, instead of two separate ones like yours.  Yours is likely newer.  You can see a picture of the one I have here.

I'll still check my mobo settings but I've connected plenty of things through USB and not had other issues.  I'll check the USB legacy mode or any of those settings that I never really know if I should enable or not.
"The Manuel"

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2018, 12:55:01 pm »
Not for nothing, but maybe its time to get a new ipac. The one from Mortal Kabinet is almost old enough to drive, yours is probably old enough to vote, maybe even drink ;)

TheManuel

• Offline Offline
  • On and off hobbyist
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2018, 01:05:13 pm »
Maybe, but I wouldn't if I can still use in in PS/2 mode and meet all my needs.  But yes, mine will be old enough to vote on the next elections  :oldman
"The Manuel"

TheManuel

• Offline Offline
  • On and off hobbyist
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2018, 08:34:29 am »
As a final update on this, I received my active PS/2 to USB adapter yesterday, which I bought to interface my trackball with the PC.  Even though I will continue to connect my iPac directly to the PS/2 port in the PC, I did test it connected through the adapter and it works surprisingly well.  I'm able to perform Honda's and Chun Li's button spamming moves and I did not notice any obvious lag. 

If I lose my PS/2 port in the future, I know I'll have this adapter as backup and will not be losing much.
"The Manuel"