Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Width children's cabinet  (Read 3480 times)

barrymossel

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 29, 2021, 11:25:52 am
  • Spectrum
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,157647.0.html
Width children's cabinet
« on: December 08, 2018, 08:00:58 am »
I am considering making a cabinet for my daughters. I scaled the Moon Patrol cabinet to 75% and it ends up being 17 inch (44 cm) wide (the control panel). I see the Arcade1Up being 18 inch (46 cm) wide. I really want the cab to be 2 player, so the girls can play together. So, if I add an inch would that be wide enough for young kids (below 10)? Or is the SF Arcade1Up too small even for kids?

JDFan

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 21, 2023, 04:07:42 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Re: Width children's cabinet
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2018, 09:09:56 am »
How tall are you making it ? Personally I'd make it as  wide as you can on a single sheet of material. I started a slightly modified design off the A1U units and figure Could make it 19" wide (20" exterior edge) and 24" deep.

That way 1 sheet of MDF can be cut to 2 24x49" panels for the sides and 2 19x49" panels for the interior leaving an 11x49" Strip for a couple Control panel pieces and the marquee area ( A1U Control Panel is 10" deep x 19" wide( since it add the 1" to fit over the exterior side panels - so the 11" strip gives you enough for the Control panel  11x20" and the marquee area pieces.)

SO you can make the cab 49"H x 20"W x 24"D exterior dimensions vs the A1U unit that sits 45.8" x 19" x 23" - and still get all the pieces off a single MDF sheet.

And the 19" width for the interior pieces means you can make the display area 19x19" so the monitor can be rotated to either horizontal or vertical orientation using a 20" 4:3 monitor !
« Last Edit: December 08, 2018, 09:22:04 am by JDFan »

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 17, 2024, 07:51:43 pm
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2018, 09:48:09 am »
It will be cozy. My kids would be like "DAD! she's touching me!".

I'd go 20" minimum, as long as long as it doesn't make the cabinet look weird.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 05:39:51 am
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2018, 10:29:18 am »
Build a regular sized cab. Use stools. They will outgrow a mini cab quickly.

JDFan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2018, 11:02:48 am »

True but even if they get a few years out of it they enjoy having something the right size to play instead of having to use a stool - Plus the wood and paint is cheap enough that after the couple years they can help you build the full size cab when they outgrow the little one !   :cheers:

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2018, 11:15:47 am »
In my experience the kids like to play the same games as the adults. I have a room full of full sized arcade machines. The kids like to play right alongside the adults. That is much harder to do with a small cab.

leapinlew

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2018, 12:06:17 pm »
I like the idea of a smaller cabinet, but I think there is some value in considering a normal sized cabinet. For me, it's not an issue building a smaller machine. It's not as unwieldy and I bet it could be put together in a few weeks. If it takes you 6 months to a year to build a cab, you should definitely put some serious thought into a full sized build.

I've had good luck wrapping the cabinets with Textured Black Vinyl Laminate. One of the upsides of the smaller cabinets is it can be done with a single pass. I've also used vertical grade laminate. Definitely durable, but requires more specialized tools. I've done both and the main takeaway is you save a lot of time over painting using either method.

Good luck. Post pics. I always enjoy seeing kids playing arcade cabinets. In my house, the arcade cabinets come in a distant 2nd place to their ipods, fire tablets, etc.

barrymossel

• Offline Offline
  • Spectrum
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2018, 12:21:38 pm »
How tall are you making it ? Personally I'd make it as  wide as you can on a single sheet of material. I started a slightly modified design off the A1U units and figure Could make it 19" wide (20" exterior edge) and 24" deep.

That way 1 sheet of MDF can be cut to 2 24x49" panels for the sides and 2 19x49" panels for the interior leaving an 11x49" Strip for a couple Control panel pieces and the marquee area ( A1U Control Panel is 10" deep x 19" wide( since it add the 1" to fit over the exterior side panels - so the 11" strip gives you enough for the Control panel  11x20" and the marquee area pieces.)

SO you can make the cab 49"H x 20"W x 24"D exterior dimensions vs the A1U unit that sits 45.8" x 19" x 23" - and still get all the pieces off a single MDF sheet.

And the 19" width for the interior pieces means you can make the display area 19x19" so the monitor can be rotated to either horizontal or vertical orientation using a 20" 4:3 monitor !
I don't really care about getting everything cut from one sheet as I order it cut to size (and they don't charge per sheet). The screen is 15 inch x 12 inch I believe.

It will be cozy. My kids would be like "DAD! she's touching me!".

I'd go 20" minimum, as long as long as it doesn't make the cabinet look weird.

I will try this. I believe that could be done without it looking weird.

I almost finished a full sized cab that they can play with when they are too tall for the mini cab. If they still want that. And then I can sell the mini cabinet.

And a Bella's clone is just too cute. I am pretty sure the kids (and mom) will love them.

I like the idea of a smaller cabinet, but I think there is some value in considering a normal sized cabinet. For me, it's not an issue building a smaller machine. It's not as unwieldy and I bet it could be put together in a few weeks. If it takes you 6 months to a year to build a cab, you should definitely put some serious thought into a full sized build.

I've had good luck wrapping the cabinets with Textured Black Vinyl Laminate. One of the upsides of the smaller cabinets is it can be done with a single pass. I've also used vertical grade laminate. Definitely durable, but requires more specialized tools. I've done both and the main takeaway is you save a lot of time over painting using either method.

Good luck. Post pics. I always enjoy seeing kids playing arcade cabinets. In my house, the arcade cabinets come in a distant 2nd place to their ipods, fire tablets, etc.
My normal sized cab will be done somewhere the next couple of weeks. I like the building actually and it doesn't matter how long it takes. Since the kids will lose their interest probably before they outgrow the mini cab, I think downsizing it is the way to go.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2018, 12:30:36 pm »
That's cool. Build the mini and post pics. Your kids will have fun with it.

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 12:43:52 pm
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2018, 09:12:32 am »
Bit late, but I went back and looked at the thread for my nephew's 70% scale Galaga style cab.
Turns out the CP was only 16" wide.  It was originally one player with a spinner, but I went back and squeezed two joysticks with 2 buttons each in there.
Tight, but still usable.   He was 6 at the time.  He's 13 now and still plays it with friends. 

If you're curious, it was built out of garbage (literally) and as fast as possible:
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,111821.0.html
Sorry, I never took any pictures of the revamped CP.

processedmeat

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 08:19:39 pm
  • Ikeakade Here I come!
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2018, 11:19:27 am »
I've had good luck wrapping the cabinets with Textured Black Vinyl Laminate.

Do you have an online source for this?  Thanks!

JDFan

• Offline Offline

DaOld Man

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 13, 2023, 12:03:14 am
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2018, 12:08:37 pm »
On my project, A Little Rage (link in my signature below), I originally planned the cab width to be 18 3/4".
I cant remember if I deviated from that plan, and since my grandaughter, who received it, lives 75 miles from me, I cant measure it now to be sure.
I may have increased it to 20" but not real sure.
Anyway, it worked out pretty good for my grand kids, which are still small.
I did have to use smaller buttons and a small track ball, you can check out the project thread if interested. The CP was pretty close to the edge on P2 side.
Looking forward to see what you come up with.

leapinlew

• Offline Offline

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 12:43:52 pm
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2018, 08:10:22 pm »
That's pretty much it. Parts Express doesn't sell it any longer. The one I prefer is matte vinyl wrap:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Premium-Matte-Flat-Black-Vinyl-Wrap-Film-Sticker-Decal-Bubble-Free-Air-Release/112263224610

Faster than painting and not unreasonable cost wise.

I used the Parts Express stuff once  (still have almost two rolls of it).  I tried to wrap it around into the t-molding slot and couldn't get the corners completely flat. 
If going this route, I'd recommend trimming it flush.  It does look nice.  Like laminate.

morton

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 23, 2021, 09:36:59 am
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2018, 07:26:47 am »
I was originally planning a 75% scaled cabinet and decided instead to build a Lowboy. Full size, only 55" high tho and is less imposing whilst still having a full size CP.

Cabaret cabinets are also cool, but I would be cautious about building a small cab specifically for kids... My mom will tell you, we grow fast and that can get expensive lol.

newmanfamilyvlogs

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 15, 2022, 05:20:38 pm
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,103584.msg1096585.html#msg1096585
    • Newman Family Vlogs
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2018, 09:32:45 am »

Couldn't agree more. When I built my cabinet my girls could barely see to the top of the CP, just a few years later and they're almost as tall as me.

barrymossel

• Offline Offline
  • Spectrum
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2018, 12:07:33 pm »
Bit late, but I went back and looked at the thread for my nephew's 70% scale Galaga style cab.
Turns out the CP was only 16" wide.  It was originally one player with a spinner, but I went back and squeezed two joysticks with 2 buttons each in there.
Tight, but still usable.   He was 6 at the time.  He's 13 now and still plays it with friends. 

If you're curious, it was built out of garbage (literally) and as fast as possible:
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,111821.0.html
Sorry, I never took any pictures of the revamped CP.
Cool thanks. Looks nice what you made out of garbage! I guess 18 inch will be okay, but I might add some till it start looking out of proportions

barrymossel

• Offline Offline
  • Spectrum
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2018, 12:10:54 pm »
On my project, A Little Rage (link in my signature below), I originally planned the cab width to be 18 3/4".
I cant remember if I deviated from that plan, and since my grandaughter, who received it, lives 75 miles from me, I cant measure it now to be sure.
I may have increased it to 20" but not real sure.
Anyway, it worked out pretty good for my grand kids, which are still small.
I did have to use smaller buttons and a small track ball, you can check out the project thread if interested. The CP was pretty close to the edge on P2 side.
Looking forward to see what you come up with.
Thanks, really helpful as well.

I will try some different sizes when I decide to proceed with this project. For now I need to finish my full cabinet first. I hope before the end of the year...