Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Capturing Donkey Kong video from XP running Groovymame.  (Read 1306 times)

hayaeti

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 19, 2020, 07:36:27 am
Capturing Donkey Kong video from XP running Groovymame.
« on: December 08, 2018, 01:13:18 am »
Hi guys,

I have kind of a dumb question... 

I have an old xp64 machine that I would like to stream the DK video from.  It's currently running at 15hz and I'm using the calamity drivers to display the vertical game on a horizontal Wells Gardner CRT.

As it's XP, I can't use something like OBS to stream from, so I need to send the video to another computer.

Problem is, all I have to ingest the video is an Elgato HD capture which takes HDMI and Component.  I have an OSSC that I can pass the VGA through and line double/triple etc, but none of the resolutions are supported.  eg.  It seems to want a standard 720p or 1080p coming in.   I've tried some cheap adapters, and while I had some success using a very cheap vga to s-video/component adapter, the video quality was barf...

Does anyone have any suggestions for a software solution for capturing the video and sending it over the network?  I tried UltraVNC etc, but even tweeking the settings I couldn't get it to capture fast enough.

I know this is an odd request, but has anyone had success at doing something like this on an older OS?

I should probably mention that at the moment I am attempting to use a VGA splitter.  One feed into the monitor and one feed into the El Gato
« Last Edit: December 08, 2018, 01:26:05 am by hayaeti »

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2024, 02:02:31 pm
  • Quote me with care
Re: Capturing Donkey Kong video from XP running Groovymame.
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2018, 01:10:35 pm »
Maybe this question is a dumb one but have you considered using the video recording capabilities of MAME? Is there any obstacle for this solution?
Important note: posts reporting GM issues without a log will be IGNORED.
Steps to create a log:
 - From command line, run: groovymame.exe -v romname >romname.txt
 - Attach resulting romname.txt file to your post, instead of pasting it.

CRT Emudriver, VMMaker & Arcade OSD downloads, documentation and discussion:  Eiusdemmodi

hayaeti

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 19, 2020, 07:36:27 am
Re: Capturing Donkey Kong video from XP running Groovymame.
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2018, 09:07:07 pm »
Sorry for the late reply.

I may sound like an idiot here, but if I record using MAME, I wasn't aware of way to then quickly ingest that file.  I realise I could do it that way but not in real-time.  Is real-time possible?

Regardless, I figured out how to do this by installing Win8 (Win 10 kept crashing when I was installing the CRT drivers) and then running OBS on it...
I used OBS to capture the fullscreen application and then used VLC on the destination computer to decode the stream.... then used OBS to stream it out to Twitch.  Bloody stupid solution, but it works.

No idea why the CRT drivers kept blue-screening windows in Win10.  In WIN08 though, everything just worked... weird.

PS.  Thank you for your input btw, I appreciate the effort that must go into replying to all these questions!