Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Pac-Man Legion  (Read 102102 times)

javeryh

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 03:23:20 pm
Re: Pac-Man Legion
« Reply #240 on: October 14, 2021, 09:52:04 am »
Yeah I like 1942 but with a 4-way joystick I had trouble playing it.  I'm sure 19XX and 1943 are similar.  I'd probably want Ghouls and Ghosts.

I would too but it's a vertical cabinet.  If we are opening it up to horizontal games... I can't live without Tetris (atetris).   ;D

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 07:29:48 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #241 on: October 14, 2021, 10:52:37 am »
I'd probably want Ghouls and Ghosts.
Sadist!

So I need to amend my previous statement, I forgot that Klax and Puzzle Fighter are both horizontal games. But I distinctly remember a vertical tetris, it might have been a cocktail version or something.
If he is using an 8 way or servo stick, I vote Contra :p

I was going to jokingly suggest 10 yard fight.

If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #242 on: October 14, 2021, 11:38:41 am »
I'd probably want Ghouls and Ghosts.
Sadist!

So I need to amend my previous statement, I forgot that Klax and Puzzle Fighter are both horizontal games. But I distinctly remember a vertical tetris, it might have been a cocktail version or something.
If he is using an 8 way or servo stick, I vote Contra :p

There is a cocktail version of Tetris (atetcktl) but it splits the screen in half so both players can play at the same time.  It fills the vertical screen but 1/2 of it being upside-down kills it for me.

Gilrock

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 14, 2024, 05:47:24 pm
« Reply #243 on: October 14, 2021, 12:17:00 pm »
Yeah I didn't think about orientation.  I play both orientations on my bartop just fine.

Zebidee

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:30:39 am
« Reply #244 on: October 14, 2021, 01:19:28 pm »
OK here's my $0.02...

Flying Shark, Aero Fighters, 19XX and 1943 are all 8-way games and you are building a very focused 4-way cabinet.  It's hard to include shmups because most are 8-ways.  Maybe you are planning on a ServoStik (which is excellent) but a legit 4-way might add to the authenticity in this case.

I also like Lady Bug, Mr. Do! and Eyes a lot and would not omit those.  I'm not a huge fan of Pac-Man Plus (I'm not even sure how it is different from Pac-Man) but this is a Pac-Man cabinet so I get it.  I've also never really played Pac-Mania... maybe I should since you and Malenko think highly of it.  Hmmm...

:cheers:

I'd like to second javery's suggestions. Pac-man is best played with a 4-way, and you really need an 8-way to play those shmups. Also, those the shmups listed are all post-classic era games (except Galaga). On the other hand, Galaxian, Space Invaders, DK Jr., Lady Bug and Mr. Do! are excellent vertical games, from the same "classic" period as Pac-man, that can be played with a 4-way.

If you stick to classic-era 4-way vertical games you can't go wrong. There are plenty to choose from. If you love shmups as much as I do, then make your next cab into a dedicated vertical shmups cab with some cool art n stuff.
Check out my completed projects!

Ond

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 18, 2024, 11:41:19 pm
« Reply #245 on: October 14, 2021, 03:52:49 pm »
This is excellent feedback and advice fella's, thanks!  I forgot to mention that I was intending to use servostiks for 4-8 way switching.  On that though, I have no experience with them, I'd love to include the shmups on this nice big CRT cab but if the advice is against using servostiks for any reason then I'll reconsider including 8 way games.

@ Malenko, I hear you on Jr. Pac-Man it's almost as weak as Pac & Pal but hey, it's a Pac_Man themed cabinet like you said.

I like the craziness of Nibbler but I'll look at Ladybug to compare (never played it).

emphatic

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 04:50:48 am
  • -"Suck it, Donny!" -"No, YOU suck it.... more".
    • Emphatic's Video Game Collection
« Reply #246 on: October 14, 2021, 03:59:59 pm »
I would add Namco Classics Collection Vol 1 & 2 to that list. The arrange modes are insane. Also Space Invaders '91 and Galaga '88 are really good for 4-way controls. I'm guessing Aero Fighters is on the list for nostalgic reasons?

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #247 on: October 14, 2021, 04:59:14 pm »
The namco collections are a great way to cheat 6 games for the price of 2 plus the “remix” versions of each game are a lot of fun.  You get Mappy, Xevious and Galaga on one and Pac-Man, Dig Dug and Rally-X on the other.  You would be doubling up on Pac-Man though which I assume you want to run in it’s original form.

I would definitely check out Lady Bug.  It’s so fun and as a maze game it fits your cabinet very well.  Same thing with Mr. Do! - if you only want one “digging game” I would pick that over Dig Dug though both are great.

Vigo

• the Scourage of Carpathia
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 21, 2024, 08:20:28 am
« Reply #248 on: October 14, 2021, 07:51:52 pm »
Any thoughts on including high speed versions of the Pac games?

Ond

• Offline Offline
« Reply #249 on: October 14, 2021, 07:59:47 pm »
Any thoughts on including high speed versions of the Pac games?

2.  Pac-Man Plus - is a speedy version of Pac-Man are there others (not bootleg)?

Vigo

• the Scourage of Carpathia
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 21, 2024, 08:20:28 am
« Reply #250 on: October 14, 2021, 10:00:30 pm »
There were speedup kits for Pac-Man, ms pac, and pac Jr (and galaga), I believe. They weren’t bootleg boards, but a hack rom kit that would increase the speed on original hardware. There were extremely popular at least in my area in the day, so I am almost more used to the sped up versions.

I (think) the Pac-Man 25th anniversary had speedup versions added into its dip settings. It might be worth considering including the 25th with dip settings defaulting for speedup on, which would give you pac, ms pac and Galaga sped up on one official rom. At least unless my memory is faulty on that. Worth trying at least to see if you feel it is worth it or not.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Online Online
  • Last login:Today at 08:38:38 am
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #251 on: October 14, 2021, 10:56:41 pm »

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #252 on: October 15, 2021, 12:39:04 am »
I like the craziness of Nibbler but I'll look at Ladybug to compare (never played it).

Ladybug is a fascinating game, kinda like a cross between Pac-man and tetris. The gates that change state as you pass them, opening or closing pathways, add a unique puzzle dimension.

Back when I did gov tech/comms/IT policy work, I had a 20" upright vertical cab I'd restored from junk in the staff amenities/breakout room with a 48-in-one board installed. Ladybug was one of the games, but I never got very good at it. I blamed the fixed 8-way joystick which made it hard to accurately make turns. Definitely a game for a 4-way.

One of the ministers I worked for enjoyed Ladybug a lot, and it is rumoured that he occasionally snuck into the building late at night to get a fix.

Ond

• Offline Offline
« Reply #253 on: October 15, 2021, 03:14:42 pm »
I always end up gaining from asking for feedback and opinions on these kinds of things.  Some good stuff to consider to fine tune my game-list.

Speed set-up Pac-Man version options
Ladybug
4way - 8way joystick considerations

The next thing on my list to do is the PAC prototype.  I worked hard at my studies this week to free up my weekend.  This part of the build should be fun (and god I hope it works  :lol).

Ond

• Offline Offline
« Reply #254 on: October 16, 2021, 06:55:09 pm »
Pics of the work on the  PAC so far:

Next I'll build the cabinet side of the PAC system which includes reed switches and mounting magnet.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2024, 02:39:41 pm by Ond »

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 25, 2024, 08:10:48 pm
« Reply #255 on: October 16, 2021, 08:33:00 pm »
Excellent progress!  Hopefully you are enjoying the proccess.

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #256 on: October 16, 2021, 08:37:32 pm »
Nice one Ond, good vid

Love the mask, even though we've all had enough of them lately.

I like your careful measurements method for mixing paint

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:58:22 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #257 on: October 16, 2021, 09:55:34 pm »
Enough messing around, let’s see you finish a project.

SpaceHedgehog

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 06, 2023, 12:10:24 pm
  • Almost done ...
« Reply #258 on: October 17, 2021, 01:49:51 am »
Nice video - 'A careful, measured ratio - about this much ... with this much'  :laugh2:

Great stuff!
Click a pic for a video tour 

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #259 on: October 17, 2021, 08:23:05 am »
Great video!  I cannot get over how thin the paint is before spraying.  Is it because you are using oil-based paint or should latex also be thinned like that?

Also, are you supposed to completely clean out the paint gun between coats?  So if you want to put on 2 coats, you spray, clean entire gun and then sand and put on the second coat?

Can’t wait to see more of how this is all going to work.

Ond

• Offline Offline
« Reply #260 on: October 17, 2021, 06:21:09 pm »
Enough messing around, let’s see you finish a project.

Excellent progress!  Hopefully you are enjoying the proccess.

Yah, credit to you mate, you gave me the reed switches and magnets idea.

Love the mask, even though we've all had enough of them lately.

Heh, Covid PPE masks and that mask - chalk & cheese.  If I didn't wear that I'd keel over from paint fumes in about 2 mins.

Nice video - 'A careful, measured ratio - about this much ... with this much'  :laugh2:

Great stuff!

;D some things really aren't that complicated....

Great video!  I cannot get over how thin the paint is before spraying.  Is it because you are using oil-based paint or should latex also be thinned like that?

Also, are you supposed to completely clean out the paint gun between coats?  So if you want to put on 2 coats, you spray, clean entire gun and then sand and put on the second coat?

Can’t wait to see more of how this is all going to work.

Thanks buddy, that video took longer to put together than the woodwork did  :lol  Anyway maybe its useful to folks  :dunno.  The main reason I use acrylic enamel is because of the solvent base.  It dries fast which is a big part of the results!  Water based paints stay wet much longer and make handling paint runs much more of a challenge.  OND Tip #1.   :laugh:

Cleaning the paint gun is quick.  As soon as I'm finished spraying the excess paint mix goes into a sealed jar for use later.  I put a small amount of solvent in the gun, spray it through and its clean, ready for re-use.

I'll work on the PAC mount plate next, then I can test the prototype to see if it actually works.  Fingers crossed.

Ond

• Offline Offline
« Reply #261 on: October 20, 2021, 05:03:45 am »
No progress until the weekend but here's some goodies for anyone technically interested in my PAC switching design.  Programmers may chuckle at my crude coding skills but hey, it works!  PL1 - enjoy  :)  :cheers:

« Last Edit: October 20, 2021, 05:53:19 pm by Ond »

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Online Online
  • Last login:Today at 08:38:38 am
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #262 on: October 20, 2021, 06:19:50 am »
Thanks for sharing, Ond.   ;D

On the electronics 101 side of things, you're using "active high" for the reed switch inputs.
(5v applied to the input triggers the output)

Looks like it should work fine for this application, but have you considered simplifying the circuit by converting the reed switch inputs to "active low" using software-configured internal pullup resistors when you initialize the inputs instead of using external resistors R1 - R5?

I'll defer to Baritonomarchetto on that and other possible improvements/tweaks to the code.

Scott

Ond

• Offline Offline
« Reply #263 on: October 25, 2021, 05:27:19 am »
... have you considered simplifying the circuit by converting the reed switch inputs to "active low" using software-configured internal pullup resistors when you initialize the inputs instead of using external resistors R1 - R5?

Thanks Scott, I'll have a look at this in the production version of the solution.

I got quite a lot done this weekend, I didn't quite get to test the system completely. During construction of the PAC back-plate I busted a bunch of the reed switches accidentally, they are so fragile!  The testing I did do was successful however. 

I'll replace the missing reed switch and should be able to test the solution from boot-up to game selection next.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2024, 02:45:23 pm by Ond »

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #264 on: October 25, 2021, 09:42:53 am »
... have you considered simplifying the circuit by converting the reed switch inputs to "active low" using software-configured internal pullup resistors when you initialize the inputs instead of using external resistors R1 - R5?

Thanks Scott, I'll have a look at this in the production version of the solution.

I got quite a lot done this weekend, I didn't quite get to test the system completely. During construction of the PAC back-plate I busted a bunch of the reed switches accidentally, they are so fragile!  The testing I did do was successful however.  I'm getting better and quicker at making videos, so to see how things went check it out  ;D

I'll replace the missing reed switch and should be able to test the solution from boot-up to game selection next.

Awesome progress Ond!  I love these little videos too - really gives good insight into what you are doing.  That button/lever thing you put together is great and I don't think I would have understood it from just reading about it.  Those switches look tiny too.  I am super curious to see how this is all going to work.

Ond

• Offline Offline
« Reply #265 on: October 25, 2021, 05:21:01 pm »
Awesome progress Ond!  I love these little videos too - really gives good insight into what you are doing.  That button/lever thing you put together is great and I don't think I would have understood it from just reading about it.  Those switches look tiny too.  I am super curious to see how this is all going to work.

Cheers, yeah I know it's not pretty to look at yet but getting the functional side of things sorted has to come first. The eject mechanism came to me after plenty of pondering on the problem. Around 75% of the force of magnets is exerted at a small distance, separate the PAC from the mount plate just a tiny amount and the PAC swap out becomes practical.

The reed switches are so delicate I almost rejected the idea of using them at all.  Once they are embedded in resin/bondo though that is no longer an issue.

The finish of the completed components will include:

-Smoothed and refined mount plate surface
-Matte black PAC mount plate and matching matte black eject button
-LED lit blue swoosh embedded in mount plate
-Seamless integration of mount plate into cabinet side panel (Matte black finish)

-Ultra gloss yellow PACs x 15 with blue light up 'eye' - game labels on the back

I may choose to get the 15 PACs CNC cut rather than do them all by hand, the main cabinet build beckons  ;D

bobbyb13

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:03:17 am
  • I believe I may need an intervention
« Reply #266 on: October 26, 2021, 12:31:05 am »
Thanks for taking time to shoot and edit that Ond.
Fun to watch and awesome to see you get some success with that plan.

Love the next level stuff here all the time.
Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools! I can fix it.

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #267 on: October 26, 2021, 01:48:55 am »
Love your work Ond, lot of innovation there. Thanks for the video too, real bonus.

Was just thinking is a shame to just use an arcade button for on/off. They are too easy to press accidentally, and don't have the right look IMHO. I think it'd look better with a proper on/off button that has to be fully depressed with a fairly firm action. You can also get them with LEDs in, which would make it clear whether it is on off.

Pics attached of a few shiny buttons from my small collection. The plain button is simple momentary switch and I use one of these on my main arcade cabinet. The ones with the power symbol are momentary as well. These would look good and purpose clear, but they have a hexagonal bezel (I think you'd be better off with a circular bezel for style consistency with the Pac etc).

EDIT: I haven't actually used he power symbol buttons yet, so removed some comments I wasn't 100% sure about.

« Last Edit: October 26, 2021, 02:03:28 am by Zebidee »

Ond

• Offline Offline
« Reply #268 on: October 26, 2021, 11:46:16 am »
Thanks for taking time to shoot and edit that Ond.
Fun to watch and awesome to see you get some success with that plan.

Love the next level stuff here all the time.

No worries mate! I was slow with editing video's to begin with but I'm getting better at that process each time.

...Pics attached of a few shiny buttons from my small collection. The plain button is simple momentary switch and I use one of these on my main arcade cabinet. The ones with the power symbol are momentary as well. These would look good and purpose clear, but they have a hexagonal bezel (I think you'd be better off with a circular bezel for style consistency with the Pac etc).

You'll be pleased to know Zebidee that the 'production' version of the PAC module (that's what I'm calling it) will feature one of those very buttons you've suggested. The round bezel button in metal. Like you I have a few of these too. They have a nice action and slick look. In fact I used that very button on my Media server project I completed some months ago.

Prototypes are never very pretty  ;D  We're on the same page mate, I think you'll be pleased with the final look of the thing.
I got a quote yesterday for CNC cutting of 15 PACS and 15 PAC eyes, much cheaper than I would have thought.  I'm going to make use of the service and save time. Note also, the black matte finish on the Media Server will be the same finish on black areas of this cab, including the PAC Module.  I appreciate the input  :cheers:
« Last Edit: October 26, 2021, 11:56:56 am by Ond »

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #269 on: October 26, 2021, 11:50:04 am »
I also used one of those buttons on my last cabinet as the exterior power button.  They are a good solution because they are flush (and they look slick).  Making use of the CNC is a smart decision.  I wouldn't want to make 15 of those things - would take too long and I'd lose motivation.   :cheers:

wp34

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2022, 09:48:19 pm
« Reply #270 on: October 26, 2021, 02:14:44 pm »
Thanks for posting that video.  Nice work Ond.   :cheers:

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #271 on: October 26, 2021, 07:26:50 pm »

...Pics attached of a few shiny buttons from my small collection. The plain button is simple momentary switch and I use one of these on my main arcade cabinet. The ones with the power symbol are momentary as well. These would look good and purpose clear, but they have a hexagonal bezel (I think you'd be better off with a circular bezel for style consistency with the Pac etc).

You'll be pleased to know Zebidee that the 'production' version of the PAC module (that's what I'm calling it) will feature one of those very buttons you've suggested. The round bezel button in metal. Like you I have a few of these too. They have a nice action and slick look. In fact I used that very button on my Media server project I completed some months ago.

Prototypes are never very pretty  ;D  We're on the same page mate, I think you'll be pleased with the final look of the thing.
I got a quote yesterday for CNC cutting of 15 PACS and 15 PAC eyes, much cheaper than I would have thought.  I'm going to make use of the service and save time. Note also, the black matte finish on the Media Server will be the same finish on black areas of this cab, including the PAC Module.  I appreciate the input  :cheers:

The button on my main cab is circular too, actually identical to the one on your media server, we probably both bought them from the same place (Jaycar I suspect). Those hexagonal ones I pictured earlier I picked up in the Bangkok electronics market mega-sprawl when I adventured my way through it a few years ago.

I put those circular buttons into a few cabs I restored/converted to MAME-based systems. They look especially good on these converted LAI uprights. Here is an old photo of one I did for sale years ago, I have the same button in the same location on my main cab too.

Ond

• Offline Offline
« Reply #272 on: November 25, 2021, 02:41:30 pm »
Updating this thread, nothing new to see yet but it is happening.  Yesterday was my final examination day for my studies this year, I'm so over it. Any progress on hobbies just tapered off as exams and final assessments ramped up over the last month.

I've visited both Jaycar (electronics outlet) and Bunnings (hardware) in the last few days and have sorted parts I needed to get building again.  This project is at the head of my queue and will get the most attention in the next few weeks.  Making better video's of stuff I'm doing in the workshop is something I want to focus on for next year as well. Pics are great 'n all but videos are better for sharing info and techniques.  Other's BYOAC builders projects keep me interested in sharing mine here, so if you're building post it! 

SpaceHedgehog

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 06, 2023, 12:10:24 pm
  • Almost done ...
« Reply #273 on: November 26, 2021, 05:27:11 am »
Glad to hear you have your studies out of the way - they certainly can be an all consuming endeavour ... now looking forward to watching the master at work once again.

Also looking forward to the videos  :cheers:
Click a pic for a video tour 

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #274 on: November 26, 2021, 11:59:24 am »
Yesterday was my final examination day for my studies this year, I'm so over it.

Congrats on finishing.  After 20 years of school I vowed to never take another exam.

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:59:27 am
  • Budgets are boring
    • newforum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,156267.0.html
« Reply #275 on: November 27, 2021, 10:06:31 pm »
Stop the teases and show us the goods!

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #276 on: December 02, 2021, 04:42:14 pm »
kringle jingle jingle kringle... 'tis the season for more updates... traa lalalaaa la la la la   :cheers:

abispac

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 01:01:09 pm
« Reply #277 on: December 31, 2021, 01:40:39 am »
 :burgerking: where are you planing to fit the chasis?  :cheers:
« Last Edit: December 31, 2021, 03:05:30 pm by abispac »

Ond

• Offline Offline
« Reply #278 on: January 06, 2022, 12:58:26 am »
:burgerki
where are you planing to fit the chasis?  :cheers:

Chasis?  What chasis?

bobbyb13

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:03:17 am
  • I believe I may need an intervention
« Reply #279 on: January 06, 2022, 05:13:34 am »
:burgerki
where are you planing to fit the chasis?  :cheers:

Chasis?  What chasis?

Oh my...
Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools! I can fix it.