Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Pac-Man Legion  (Read 102094 times)

Ond

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 18, 2024, 11:41:19 pm
Pac-Man Legion
« on: December 06, 2018, 01:26:42 am »
I'm going to start construction on this cabinet early next year so I thought I'd announce it before end of year 2018.  It's based on a design I posted some years ago (and misplaced).  I really liked the shape but the original design was for an LCD, this however will be built around a 27" CRT I have.  It will run MAME on a PC for various versions of Pac-Man and a small selection of games that play well on a cocktail style cabinet.  It has no T-moulding but instead thick curved edges made from 32mm MDF.  Other features include vinyl wrap on the control panels, real timber veneered end panels and my own artwork.  Image updated to latest artwork

Here's a sample of the artwork drawn by me. The font is 'pacfont' which I downloaded, all other images are my own.

I will need to give thought to cooling and ventilation as well as speaker placement.  I'm still undecided about building a welded steel or timber frame to support the monitor but I'm favouring a steel one at the moment.

The CRT is a 27"  flat screen Panasonic TV with Component video inputs.  I'm using that with CRT Emudriver 2.0 and a Retrotek VGACTV1 VGA to Component transcoder. 

I'm excited to have a project in the pipeline which uses a CRT specially to play Pac-Man on.  My kids really like simple games like Frogger etc. so I'll add that to the menu as well.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2019, 09:56:51 pm by Ond »

meltman

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2021, 07:45:27 pm
  • Brilliant!
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,158544.0.html
    • My arcade gallery
Re: Pac-Man Legion
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2018, 08:16:45 am »
Looks like a really slick take on the classic cocktail cabinet.

Will be watching this one for sure.

barrymossel

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 29, 2021, 11:25:52 am
  • Spectrum
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,157647.0.html
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2018, 08:58:59 am »
Wow, cool design of the cabinet. Though I am not sure about the Pacman with teeth. Just doesn't look right to me.

wp34

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2022, 09:48:19 pm
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2018, 10:10:03 am »
Outstanding!  I love the design.  It will look fantastic next to your RoToron build.   :cheers:

Ond

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2018, 02:07:27 pm »
Thanks guys, this was a design I did for another member way back when I ran a little competition to name my cabinet design, I've since re-named RoToron.  The cocktail shape has evolved a little bit since then but not much.

The artwork... well any 3D versions of Pac-Man I've seen which are just a head usually have teeth, some have fangs  :lol.  Fangs etc. seem wrong but no teeth on a 3D version also looks weird so....

I may do a version without teeth on Pac-Man which also removes the eyes from the ghosts.  In game, ghosts lose their eyes when Pac-Man eats a power pellet so I'll see what that looks like.  It's early days, so feedback welcome.

meltman

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2021, 07:45:27 pm
  • Brilliant!
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,158544.0.html
    • My arcade gallery
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2018, 02:23:55 pm »
I like it with teeth.

My grandmother has an ancient, rare, Pac-Man squeak ball and it has teeth.

This is the exact same one I grew up playing with (not hers specifically):
https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/1982-midway-gabriel-pac-man-squeak-400201854

DaOld Man

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 13, 2023, 12:03:14 am
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2018, 05:59:07 pm »
Looks like another masterpiece on the line.
Im anxious to see how you pull off the drab look of the MDF edge without covering it with t molding, but if anyone can do it, it's you.

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 19, 2024, 06:19:27 pm
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2018, 09:00:54 pm »
Loved the no t-molding curved sides. That's gonna look great!

Feel free to tell me to buzz off, but 2 things that struck me - Pacmans eyes. Not sure if he's Asian, or squinting, but it made me take a second look. Also, the G in Legion could be easier to read.

Laythe

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 22, 2024, 11:12:38 pm
  • "-smurfing- delivers." - Yots
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,149109.0.html
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2018, 03:08:52 am »
Love the shape and color of the cabinet.  Those thick curves are going to be a treat for the eyes and the fingers.   :applaud:

I'll admit... I'm not in love with the side art pac.  The eyes that I think of as iconic for 3D versions of pac man, are the black ovals with a missing triangle in them - this version feels off to me, like a bootleg.  The expression, between eyes and tongue, feels slightly in the direction of a scary chatterbox cenobite version - or like those skeleton reveal drawings of cartoon characters that get a bit creepy.  If unsettling is the desired effect, nailed it.   (I hope that's helpful and constructive, and if it didn't come across that way, I apologize.) 

The ghosts work for me as a neat variation on the norm.  Blurred maze, dots, sizes and colors, I like all that in your side art.

(And man I freakin love the cab design.)

Laythe

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2018, 03:23:15 am »
I think it's the eyes that are tripping me up more than the tongue or the teeth. 

I know it frustrates me when people make vague complaints at my art, so I tried on the kind of eyes I was thinking of and ended up with this - whether you think that approach helps is of course your call.

In any case, thanks for the preview and for bringing something new and cool to the table!

barrymossel

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 29, 2021, 11:25:52 am
  • Spectrum
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,157647.0.html
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2018, 04:45:50 am »
Yeah it might have been the eyes actually. The version from Laythe seems better. But still... I guess I just don't like it in 3D.

Ond

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2018, 06:15:51 am »
I really like the critical feedback and ideas, thanks guys.

I like it with teeth.

My grandmother has an ancient, rare, Pac-Man squeak ball and it has teeth.

This is the exact same one I grew up playing with (not hers specifically):
https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/1982-midway-gabriel-pac-man-squeak-400201854

That's what I was thinking of!  :cheers:

Looks like another masterpiece on the line.
Im anxious to see how you pull off the drab look of the MDF edge without covering it with t molding, but if anyone can do it, it's you.

I'll get it as close as I can to the render.  I think with thinner MDF it wouldn’t look so good, but the thicker curved edges are quite different if they are slick and glossy.

Loved the no t-molding curved sides. That's gonna look great!

Feel free to tell me to buzz off, but 2 things that struck me - Pacmans eyes. Not sure if he's Asian, or squinting, but it made me take a second look. Also, the G in Legion could be easier to read.

Good feedback!  Yeah I was trying for the squinty badass look.  I didn't even notice the G in Legion, agreed, it needs to be better defined.

I think it's the eyes that are tripping me up more than the tongue or the teeth. 

I know it frustrates me when people make vague complaints at my art, so I tried on the kind of eyes I was thinking of and ended up with this - whether you think that approach helps is of course your call.

In any case, thanks for the preview and for bringing something new and cool to the table!

Thanks Laythe, I looked at various Pac-Man inspired art to see what had been done with 3D versions, but the simple black eye you've suggested works very well for me.

Yeah it might have been the eyes actually. The version from Laythe seems better. But still... I guess I just don't like it in 3D.

I like the 3D version with Laythe's suggestion I'm going to stick with it for now.

Taking in the suggestions, I think I've made a more Arcade suited version with updated eyes on all characters. I made the blue in the ghosts a bit lighter so they 'pop' a bit better too.   I like it better than before.

jennifer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 11, 2023, 06:24:58 am
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2018, 08:10:26 am »
That is quite a modern take on an old concept, may even try one myself ;)....https://www.powdercoating.org/page/PConWood
« Last Edit: December 07, 2018, 08:13:20 am by jennifer »

morton

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 23, 2021, 09:36:59 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2018, 09:29:14 am »
I am sick of thinking about Tmolding and this is something I've often thought of since making a joystick using similar concept. Definitely gotta be double thick for a cabinet/cocktail, but the finished MDF can look awesome.

The only way it could look more awesome is if OND does it  :notworthy:

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:19:17 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2018, 10:02:17 am »
Those eyes definitely look better.
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

javeryh

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 03:23:20 pm
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2018, 04:47:36 pm »
Those eyes definitely look better.

Agreed. 

For what it's worth (probably nothing), I don't really like the placement of the font on the side.  I wonder what it would look if you left the pac-man and ghosts exactly where they are but moved the font to the top and all on one line so it says "Pac-Man Legion" underneath the screen and separated from the art a bit. 

I'm also not in love with the font... but I think it is close.  Something looks just a little off to me about it.  Maybe because it is too close to original Pac-Man cabinet font so my brain can't accept the different letters.
Instead of using a downloaded font, why not hand draw it?  It would fit with your art better and you the same letters will look slightly different and add to the "custom" look you are going for.

Love the sleek design though!   :cheers:

Like this LOL:

« Last Edit: December 07, 2018, 04:56:42 pm by javeryh »

Ond

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2018, 01:48:51 pm »
I like the idea of bringing the title together in one line but it seemed too big a gap in your example javeryh.  I had a really close look at the original font vs the imitation font and then I went to work on a version that's very close.  The original was three fonts overlayed on each other, slightly offset, with yellow on top.  I've duplicated the three colors but made red the top one. I gave it a gentle curve because dead straight seemed wrong to me as well.

I've updated the original cabinet render to show the current art version.  I'm happy with the art, especially after the feedback - thanks!  The next step with this project will be to design construction plans based on the concept render.

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 07:29:48 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2018, 09:48:51 pm »
you know you wanna give pacman buck teeth.
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

talkgeek

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 03, 2024, 02:30:46 am
  • Every day you wake up breathing is a GOOD day!
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2018, 06:46:30 pm »
WOW - as always - following with baited breath.. (and a fair bit of impatience)
Currently building http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137777.0.html Mass-Replicate
Built "n0tsq3" cocktail cab http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,133913.0/all.html
..and restoring a Sega MegaLo 410 Candy Cab & Moon Patrol Cab

Ond

• Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2019, 05:06:02 am »
Returning from a restful holiday, I am keen to work on my various projects (including RoToron of course).  I've spent much of the last few days just getting my workshop in order.  I flipped the TV destined for use in this cabinet on its back today and hooked up the transcoder to a PC. 

I'm very impressed with the combination of GroovyMAME, Transcoder unit and CRT emudriver.  Running games smoothly - no audio glitches!-at their native resolution on a large crisp CRT really took me back.  I sat on my low stool with a TV on its back playing various games for a good hour or so, completely transported - magic!  Anyway, now that I know the system will work, I can get on with cabinet construction.

Much thanks to Calamity for breathing new life into MAME and making golden age classics live on across a variety of CRT based builds.  I will detail the particular settings which work on this build.  I am a relative newb to these CRT applications, so still learning as I go.

DaOld Man

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 13, 2023, 12:03:14 am
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2019, 06:54:05 am »
Im probably jumping ahead here, and I hope you will forgive me, but how do you plan to get that polished look on the MDF edge, without T Molding?
The render you posted looks like the edge is as clean as the sides.
Ive found the edge of the MDF to look ugly, and it looks like it can come apart in the form of dust after a while.
Im interested because of a project i need to finish up, but I would really like to not have to use T Molding on it.
Im using 1/2" (12.7 mm)  MDF on my project.

Ond

• Offline Offline
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2019, 03:36:34 am »
Im probably jumping ahead here, and I hope you will forgive me, but how do you plan to get that polished look on the MDF edge, without T Molding?
The render you posted looks like the edge is as clean as the sides.
Ive found the edge of the MDF to look ugly, and it looks like it can come apart in the form of dust after a while.
Im interested because of a project i need to finish up, but I would really like to not have to use T Molding on it.
Im using 1/2" (12.7 mm)  MDF on my project.

It's a good question.  Sexy renders are all well and good.  Achieving them in the real world is another thing entirely. Getting MDF (or any wood) up to the standard shown in the render is by way of my surface prep and painting method, which I've used throughout my projects.  MDF edges are very ragged and porous.  Using high build automotive primer (like in my video tutorial), the ragged spiky surface is transformed after several coats and sanding to a hard plastic like surface.  The process puts a tough shell over the MDF, which can then be spray-painted and polished.

A few other members here have successfully used this approach on their projects.  Apart from using the right automotive primer and paint, success depends on a fair bit of effort and technique.  See my tutorial for lots of details covering these things.

A quick few coats of non-automotive primer and a coat or two of paint will NOT achieve that look.  It will be rough and nasty, as you would expect.

Ond

• Offline Offline
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2019, 11:13:43 pm »
Today I de-cased the tube from the TV I'm using.  I needed to measure the distance between the mount holes on the tube and I want to do some maintenance on the main board by way of cap replacements.

I discharged the anode and the big power caps and then disassembled everything from the case. I removed the neck-board from the tube as well.

As you can see it's a really nice flat 27" Panasonic tube in very good condition.

I want to retain the TV's screen bezel for later so I cut this away from the rest of the TV cabinet.

Here is one of the mount holes I mentioned.

So now I have the tube's dimensions including mount point details, I'm going to get stuck into the construction design based on the concept render.  I'll order some replacement caps from the Service Book parts list in the meantime as well.

Nephasth

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2024, 11:02:52 pm
  • Bitches love Centipede
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2019, 11:28:34 pm »
Love me a decased CRT... :drool
%Bartop

Ond

• Offline Offline
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2019, 06:19:47 am »
Love me a decased CRT... :drool

Heh, who else but us BYOAC peoples would get excited at the sight of a CRT....  Well they are getting rarer and rarer these days.

I worked on other arcade projects today until it got too hot in the workshop.  Then I sat down and gave some thought to my construction approach for this project.  The design I came up with  hangs the CRT by the mount holes in a frame.  All the weight from the frame is supported by the flat sides of the cab.  The top Bezel can be removed to allow the CRT to be fitted or removed.  The build plans have the cab slightly taller than the concept render (for seating ergonomics) but they are pretty close.

Here's an exploded view of the vanity basin for our bathroom the cabinet.  You can see how the parts fit (in theory).

Next I'll cut the supporting frame for the CRT.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2019, 04:19:08 pm by Ond »

retro4ever

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 15, 2019, 10:45:44 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2019, 02:33:16 am »
Looks awesome. If you decide to add Pacman Battle Royale to the game list, I recommend the pacbrcade mod for Namco Museum on Steam. It will fix this annoying borders issue with the game that will occur if you don't use it.

I am not good at Pacman but made one of my cheaper stick builds 4way just to be able to play that and a few others on occasion for a better feel.

Ond

• Offline Offline
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2019, 01:14:30 am »
Looks awesome. If you decide to add Pacman Battle Royale to the game list, I recommend the pacbrcade mod for Namco Museum on Steam. It will fix this annoying borders issue with the game that will occur if you don't use it.

I am not good at Pacman but made one of my cheaper stick builds 4way just to be able to play that and a few others on occasion for a better feel.

Thanks!  Yeah I'd like to add all the possible variations of Pac Man to this machine so I appreciate the tip.  I'm not good at Pac Man either, not much of a gamer for that matter, but I do like hanging around people that are!

It's been sooo hot around here lately I told my boss I was taking a week off to go hiking somewhere cooler near the coast.  I've just returned from five days spent here:

After a week of no cars, almost no people, just beach and forests, I'm re-energised. It's still damn hot but I'll press on anyway.

I wanted 1:1 scale cutting plans mainly because of some of the curves on this design that I have to hand cut.  My design process goes something like this:

1. Create photo realistic concept drawings to completely visualise the finished design.
2. Create construction concept from initial drawings to work through the approach to the build.
3. Create precise cutting plans from the construction concept to fabricate cutting templates from (to be used with a flush-trim router).
    a. Transfer concept from 3D application into MS Visio.
    b. Save Visio drawings as scale accurate PDFs
    c. Print PDFs at 1:1 scale.

Here's the result which I'm standing on to indicate the size.

I always check the dimensions to make sure the printer has followed my instructions.  Happily on this occasion they were correct but it doesn’t always work out that way  :-\

I've also purchased the 18mm Marine Ply that I'm going to cut the frame for supporting the CRT in.  MDF is not the right choice for this component.  I'll use what’s left over for the base plate for the cab.  It's going to be a very solid and heavy cab, I'm fine with that. 

More on this and my other projects over the next few days.....

Ond

• Offline Offline
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2019, 08:38:30 pm »

Laythe

• Offline Offline
« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2019, 04:15:36 am »
Wow, that is going to be a nice tight assembly.  CRT couldn't be any bigger, cabinet couldn't be any smaller, and you're taking neat advantage of the taper of the tube.

Looking good!

javeryh

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 03:23:20 pm
« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2019, 08:23:43 pm »
So I know this is a bit off-topic but where do you learn how to do all of this stuff?  I have no idea how to use a computer and it feels like it is too late to learn.  Would be nice to know how to model stuff or use photoshop or something but every time I watch a tutorial my eyes gloss over and I'm lost within 5 minutes!

Ond

• Offline Offline
« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2019, 08:55:27 am »
Wow, that is going to be a nice tight assembly.  CRT couldn't be any bigger, cabinet couldn't be any smaller, and you're taking neat advantage of the taper of the tube.

Looking good!

Thanks Laythe, this cabinet is all about enjoying the CRT gaming experience, something that is lacking in my other cabinet designs.  I have some joinery details to work out but that will be best done during actual construction.

So I know this is a bit off-topic but where do you learn how to do all of this stuff?  I have no idea how to use a computer and it feels like it is too late to learn.  Would be nice to know how to model stuff or use photoshop or something but every time I watch a tutorial my eyes gloss over and I'm lost within 5 minutes!

I know what you mean about getting bored trying to watch tutorials.  I find that having a specific goal in mind which you want to get to via technology helps with the learning of that technology.  For example, I wanted to use Arduino technology in a project to do something very specific. I had to research and learn how to achieve that.  I didn't bother with trying to learn everything about Arduinos, just about the function I needed.  Does that make sense? You can apply that to any other learning including computers.  It has to be interesting and also useful. You can build on that knowledge a bit at a time....much like this hobby.

I'm using these Child Seat harness mounts for another purpose:

These will enable me to lower the CRT (or raise it again) into the cabinet (using a pulley).  I'll soon be flipping the CRT over and hoisting it up using these anchor points.  You can see I've re-taped the degaussing coil/cable into place now that the mounting frame is attached to the CRT.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 01:43:45 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2019, 09:08:51 am »
It is refreshing to see a CRT project with an original yet classic design. I ---smurfette--- about how much space cocktails take up, but I like them. I eat lunch on my Asteroids Deluxe.

I enjoy your threads. They inspire me to do better.

jennifer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #32 on: February 07, 2019, 08:14:53 pm »
Speaking of need to know research, Jenn was working on a project and totally thought of you and this build when I saw this, Must watch when you get a miniute there Mr OND. ;) ...

Ond

• Offline Offline
« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2019, 09:07:22 pm »
It is refreshing to see a CRT project with an original yet classic design. I ---smurfette--- about how much space cocktails take up, but I like them. I eat lunch on my Asteroids Deluxe.

I enjoy your threads. They inspire me to do better.

Thanks Mike, guys like you with game rooms and a good collection of arcade machines really inspire me.  I aim to one day find a property with outbuildings or a big shed which I can convert to a dedicated game room\bar\entertainment area.  The projects I'm working on now will go in there with at least one genuine restored machine and a pinball or two.  Maybe Yots will let us check out his game room if I bring him something  ;D

Speaking of need to know research, Jenn was working on a project and totally thought of you and this build when I saw this, Must watch when you get a miniute there Mr OND. ;) ...

Thanks Jenn, that guy has some lovely machines!  Actually I intend to use some of the aspects of his approach in bending the shapes for this cabinet.  The end panels of this cabinet will be quite thin.  They will be decorative only supporting no weight at all.  Also they need to be removable for maintenance access.  My bending method will seem really primitive compared to the guy in the video BUT I've used it before and it’s very effective.  I'll be bending thin MDF using steam over a curved metal form and then later veneering that with quality timber veneer (again bending the veneer with steam).  It's totally cheating but should look very nice if all goes well.  I'll post up that process when I get to it.

Today I hoisted up the CRT on my 1000Kg hoist pulley.  Ackkkk!  I had to balance that heavy bastard in my lap while I hooked it up, one slip and goodbye CRT!  Luckily that didn't happen.  I can now adjust the height of it to match the plan and check ergonomics with my workshop stool:

I'll need to cut 20mm deep channels into the thick sides of the cabinet to allow those mount points some clearance. Good thing I have 32mm to work with.  The MDF sheet cuts have been ordered and should be ready next Wednesday.  In the mean time I'll work on the cutting templates.

Here you can see my ratty old stool (yes sometimes I paint stuff on it) next to the suspended CRT:

Tomorrow I need to work on RoToron for most of the day.

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 07:31:21 pm
« Reply #34 on: February 07, 2019, 09:24:23 pm »
As Ond said, take each task one by one, and try to figure out how to achieve them as they come up in your project.

Trying to just aimlessly watch tutorials is too vague and unspecific, and quite frankly not a great way to learn.  There is so many different ways of achieving things, say in Photoshop, that a lot of the time it's trial and error, practice and exploration.  If anything, watch tutorials on the basic interfacing of the software. How to navigate it, the core processes i,.e. learning about layers, clipping masks, smart objects, etc...  but for the most part your best way to learn is by applying it to a goal you want to achieve.

And don't get discouraged if you're not a master at it after a while.  Artists spend years learning the software, and even then you don't everything about the software. For example I've used PS for over 20 years, and I still learn new things to this day.

jennifer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #35 on: February 09, 2019, 12:25:18 pm »
I love the way you got that monitor hanging there, Disaster not to be tolerated, with those big chains, but tempting fate by hanging that neck just off the floor :cheers:... Yes that guy does have some nice equipment, but it could obviously be done with little more than a table saw and a joiner out in the backyard for us common folks, The point (I guess) was to use the cabinet as monitor  structure, hiding the bolts behind the CP, without using an internal frame, But actually it could also be said, it would look good as flat panels too giving a old vs modern feel,... Anyway Jennifer doesn't want to confuse, So excited to see what you come up with 8).

Ond

• Offline Offline
« Reply #36 on: February 10, 2019, 03:41:32 am »
@ opt2not - good advice. It's never too late to learn new things.  I like teaching myself new skills using the internet.  I've had to learn a bunch of stuff about CRTs and interfacing with them for this project.

@ jennifer - I enjoy working with veneers, I think the combination of real timber with the smooth yellow panels should look really nice.  MDF has no grain since it’s just compacted fibres but it does have good retention for any shape that you give it using some moisture and heat.  There will be no bolts or screws visible when the cabinet is finished.

I spent only a little time on this today, instead focusing on other projects.  I did cut away all the unneeded plastic from the original TV bezel so I can use it in this project.  I could cut a new one from MDF but why do that when I have a perfectly usable one from the TV?

Ond

• Offline Offline
« Reply #37 on: February 17, 2019, 06:24:37 am »
Thick MDF cut to panel size arrives:

Outside the box thinking for cutting large clean curves.  I'm postioning aluminium strip in place onto the plan with some nails. Now you can see why I needed 1:1 scale plans:

Tape one side of the strip against nails with very strong gaffer tape:

Flush trim cut agianst the curve with my router to form the cutting template for the much thicker MDF plate:

Break my jig saw blade in the thick MDF sheet.  Work finished for the day, time for a beer!

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:59:27 am
  • Budgets are boring
    • newforum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,156267.0.html
« Reply #38 on: February 17, 2019, 08:31:54 am »

Flush trim cut agianst the curve with my router to form the cutting template for the much thicker MDF plate:

I was wondering if anyone had done something like this.  After watching a bunch of YouTube woodworking videos, I was planning on doing something similar to cut my curves for the sides.  I was going to get a thin piece of polycarbonate plastic and use a bunch of small L-brackets to form the shape against the printed plans, then use the flush trim bit.  Curious to see how this works for you.

wp34

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2022, 09:48:19 pm
« Reply #39 on: February 17, 2019, 11:31:31 am »

I was wondering if anyone had done something like this.  After watching a bunch of YouTube woodworking videos, I was planning on doing something similar to cut my curves for the sides.  I was going to get a thin piece of polycarbonate plastic and use a bunch of small L-brackets to form the shape against the printed plans, then use the flush trim bit.  Curious to see how this works for you.

That's pretty slick.  I have a project I'll be starting as soon as the weather warms here and I may try something like this for the curve I need to replicate.