Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Pac-Man Legion  (Read 102113 times)

Laythe

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 22, 2024, 11:12:38 pm
  • "-smurfing- delivers." - Yots
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,149109.0.html
Re: Pac-Man Legion
« Reply #360 on: February 22, 2022, 11:46:54 pm »
Unf. 

That control panel is gorgeous, man!   :applaud:

I love the big thick radius you've got on everything here, it shows off the automotive-grade paint job to great advantage.

Zebidee

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Online Online
  • Last login:Today at 07:30:40 pm
« Reply #361 on: February 23, 2022, 06:38:08 pm »
Check out my completed projects!

Ond

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 18, 2024, 11:41:19 pm
« Reply #362 on: February 25, 2022, 03:24:22 am »
:applaud: :applaud: :applaud: :applaud: :applaud: :applaud: :applaud: :applaud: :applaud: :applaud: :applaud: :applaud:
:applaud: :applaud: :applaud: :applaud: :applaud: :applaud: :applaud: :applaud: :applaud: :applaud: :applaud: :applaud: :applaud: :applaud: :applaud: :applaud: :applaud: :applaud: :applaud: :applaud: :applaud: :applaud: :applaud: :applaud:
:applaud: :applaud: :applaud: :applaud: :applaud: :applaud: :applaud: :applaud: :applaud: :applaud: :applaud: :applaud: :applaud: :applaud: :applaud: :applaud: :applaud: :applaud: :applaud: :applaud: :applaud: :applaud: :applaud: :applaud:

That's a lot of applause buddy! (thanks  :D ).  Nearly up to the real sexy stuff now.

Man that work is crisp OND, this is definitely shaping up to be a "Mona-Lisa" of the arcade builds.

I'd love to be there, and see the looks on peoples faces, when they see it in person and ask "where did you get that"... and then you show 'em your build pic's. :dizzy:

Nice work mate... and love the video's too, they're gold :applaud:

Cheers  :cheers:

The cab should be a talking point for sure. I'm looking forward to seeing some of the gamers in my extended family sitting down and enjoying some classic games on a real CRT based cabinet.

Incredible work.  Love the videos too - very relaxing to watch.  I notice that when you are sanding you look like you are barely applying any pressure.  Have I been doubting it wrong all these years?

The sanding on fine finish is very light for sure. I'm trying to ensure an even surface as any imperfections are really obvious on a mirror finish paint job.

If I made a control panel look that nice I'd be afraid to use it.

This cab is for ornamental decorative purposes only... Kidding, I'm fine with normal wear and tear as a result of use, it's not that fragile.

Not sure how I feel about you covering that glorious paintwork with so much vinyl !

Although I am sure there is a design element to it that will reveal itself upon assembly- so I wouldn't say I am concerned really...
 ;)

I know what you mean but there's plenty more high gloss paint finish to the cab. The design balances out those areas of black and yellow.

Unf. 

That control panel is gorgeous, man!   :applaud:

I love the big thick radius you've got on everything here, it shows off the automotive-grade paint job to great advantage.

Thanks Laythe! Those edges evolved from the idea of doing away with t-molding as an edge finish. Reflections on a high gloss finish definitely look best on curves like that.  Even though the concept has been sharp in my mind all this time it still surprises me as the finish reveals itself.

Big, bold curves are beautiful.

https://www.nationalgallery.org.uk/artists/peter-paul-rubens

Heh, yep Rubens certainly knew how to show off curves.  Great artist.

I've been working on the inner bezel. I test fitted it to the top plate and adjusted the CRT image in the service menu to best fit.  Here it is after undercoating.  Doesn't look like much yet but painted black and fitted in place it will play a big part in the final look.

I'm also starting to work on the final major cab component - the base plate. A large fan will take up much of it. I'm thinking of using these caster wheels.

Before I apply the final paint to the side panels I'm doing a test assembly of the cabinet including motherboards, power supply, glass plate etc. etc. I'll post a major update at that time.

bobbyb13

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:03:17 am
  • I believe I may need an intervention
« Reply #363 on: February 25, 2022, 04:01:35 am »
Looks outstanding of course...

I can say that I tried a urethane surfaced caster for my Multi-Williams cabinet and I can't wait to get to swapping them out for solid nylon wheels (like all the original ones I have seen appear to have.)

You may find different results with a much shorter cab, but the amount of shaking that the cabinet has while playing is unnerving to say the least.

If there will also be leg levelers employed here to set the cabinet solid then you would be fine I imagine, but just relying on the brakes on two wheels to stabilize mine doesn't help with such a squishy contact point.
 :dunno
Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools! I can fix it.

Ond

• Offline Offline
« Reply #364 on: February 25, 2022, 05:53:32 pm »

I can say that I tried a urethane surfaced caster for my Multi-Williams cabinet and I can't wait to get to swapping them out for solid nylon wheels (like all the original ones I have seen appear to have.)

You may find different results with a much shorter cab, but the amount of shaking that the cabinet has while playing is unnerving to say the least.

If there will also be leg levelers employed here to set the cabinet solid then you would be fine I imagine, but just relying on the brakes on two wheels to stabilize mine doesn't help with such a squishy contact point.

Good to know Bobby, that's what my test build is for, to check fit, stability and functionality. I'm sure I'll be making some adjustments and changes as a result of that. There's almost zero wood screws used in the cab, it's all machine screws and bolts, given the spaces I'm playing with in building this cab, that joinery method is ideal. It lets me test tolerances, close fits and joins, pull down again and adjust.  Hell I could crate the whole thing up as a kind of 'ready to build kit' and send it to ya!  :P

Here's a design element I'll be covering soon, the big ass fan in the base of the cab (set to low, quiet RPM) blows cooling air up through the cab body past electronics boards and PS and out under each control panel - basically at the players groin level.  :lol Each control panel is vented underneath to allow both air flow and sound from the speakers. Most typical cabs, uprights especially, really don't need fans of any sort just some vents to allow air flow but this beast may get a little too warm inside otherwise.

bobbyb13

• Offline Offline
« Reply #365 on: February 25, 2022, 08:48:07 pm »
I am with you on the modularity concept.
Each successive build I am finding ways to implement more screws (rather than glue and brads!) in strategic spots so that making changes to coin door, speaker and control panels and even monitor mounts for different size/orientations of screen would be easy.
For engineering as you go it seems like a real headache saver too!

I imagine relying on passive cooling isn't even an option here.  Looking forward to seeing your solution.

The cost of being too good with fitting so many components into the minumum amount of space.
 :)
Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools! I can fix it.

Ond

• Offline Offline
« Reply #366 on: February 27, 2022, 01:11:41 am »
Final coats of black on these panels today to get a consistent finish.  Coin panel was various different textures of black depending on metal and plastic parts, all the same now.

I wasn't at all happy with the eject buttons done in cheap yellow plastic that came stock on the coin plate so I'm redoing them in red acrylic which will be LED lit. I'm off to the printers to get a transparency sheet done (monochrome) for button inserts.  When lit they'll look like this, just simple bold text rather than complex graphics.

Painting continues ...

bobbyb13

• Offline Offline
« Reply #367 on: February 27, 2022, 04:58:03 am »
Always next level...

That is a cool font.

Ond

• Offline Offline
« Reply #368 on: February 27, 2022, 05:24:06 am »
Always next level...

That is a cool font.

Yeah I thought so, I wanted something chunky and arcade, that suited.

Tonight I finished painting the bezel so here's a pic of that fitted into the top plate on the CRT. The top plate is still at undercoat stage but the fit is good.

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 19, 2024, 06:19:27 pm
« Reply #369 on: February 27, 2022, 03:46:06 pm »
What's your thoughts on this OND? I like the simplicity of yours, and didn't know if this would be too much

As always - looking good. It's usually around this phase where I'm ready to be done.

Ond

• Offline Offline
« Reply #370 on: February 27, 2022, 05:34:20 pm »
What's your thoughts on this OND? I like the simplicity of yours, and didn't know if this would be too much
As always - looking good. It's usually around this phase where I'm ready to be done.

Hah, you got me Lew, I love it. I'm a sucker for novelty and small detail. There's some small process to making the modified coin door button work with both yellow and red.  I'll make a video guide for that available on my channel. Here's the re-worked artwork with adjusted font sizing for better effect.

By way of thanks, here's a download link to the high-res PDF for the transparency sheet for the button inserts:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7xviorr2lh25h3h/Token%20Label%20Sheet.pdf?dl=0

:cheers:

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 19, 2024, 06:19:27 pm
« Reply #371 on: February 27, 2022, 08:43:50 pm »
Right on.  :cheers:

bobbyb13

• Offline Offline
« Reply #372 on: February 27, 2022, 08:52:05 pm »
And now it's even better!

Nice one leapinlew

javeryh

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 10:28:40 am
« Reply #373 on: February 28, 2022, 07:16:55 am »
Yeah I like this too.  Very subtle and obviously fits the theme perfectly.

Vigo

• the Scourage of Carpathia
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 21, 2024, 08:20:28 am
« Reply #374 on: February 28, 2022, 01:51:53 pm »

Good to know Bobby, that's what my test build is for, to check fit, stability and functionality. I'm sure I'll be making some adjustments and changes as a result of that. There's almost zero wood screws used in the cab, it's all machine screws and bolts, given the spaces I'm playing with in building this cab, that joinery method is ideal. It lets me test tolerances, close fits and joins, pull down again and adjust.  Hell I could crate the whole thing up as a kind of 'ready to build kit' and send it to ya!  :P

Its a small investment, but I recommended these elsewhere on the board the other day. Might be worth looking into. It's a caster with leveling leg that pops down. Get them in black and they will match pretty well, too.

abispac

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 01:01:09 pm
« Reply #375 on: June 05, 2023, 01:30:58 am »
 :dunno :dunno :dunno :dunno :dunno :dunno :dunno :dunno :dunno :dunno updates?  :dunno :dunno :dunno :dunno :dunno :dunno :dunno :dunno :dunno :dunno
Are you ok OP?

Laythe

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 22, 2024, 11:12:38 pm
  • "-smurfing- delivers." - Yots
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,149109.0.html
« Reply #376 on: June 07, 2023, 03:26:37 pm »
Ond kind of comes and goes, around here. 

He'll likely be back one day and post some more absolutely amazing stuff... but that day likely isn't tomorrow.

Always makes my day whenever he comes around, though!   :applaud:

abispac

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 01:01:09 pm
« Reply #377 on: February 10, 2024, 07:23:12 pm »
Did you finished this or not? i want to see it done hahahaha please come back.

thatpurplestuff

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 04:17:58 pm
« Reply #378 on: February 12, 2024, 11:18:14 pm »
Update! Update! Update!

So once again, we find that evil of the past seeps into the present like salad dressing through cheap wax paper, mixing memory and desire.

Zebidee

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Online Online
  • Last login:Today at 07:30:40 pm
« Reply #379 on: February 13, 2024, 04:16:43 am »
You can see more on this project over at Aussiearcade.com forums, but nothing more recent unfortunately. Hope Ond is well:

https://www.aussiearcade.com/topic/97568-pac-man-legion/
Check out my completed projects!

Ond

• Offline Offline
« Reply #380 on: February 17, 2024, 02:07:21 pm »
Hey fellas...

Apart from locking myself out of BYOAC (temporarily) I'm all good!  ;D

I'm very fond of this project, sitting neatly dismantled ready for more work. In the last year most of my efforts have been focused on helping my daughter build her house. I only work part time now which means more time for my hobbies.