Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Quimat analog arcade stick and controller $20?  (Read 6264 times)

chrisdfw

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 21, 2019, 08:50:58 am
Quimat analog arcade stick and controller $20?
« on: December 04, 2018, 08:55:03 am »
On Amazon I see a quimat 360 analog arcade stick with controller and buttons for just $20.  According to one of the reviews it really does look like analog and the controller looks like a zero delay type but with analog capability.

Has anyone here tried it?

I have wanted a cheap alternative to getting a 360 ultrastik sine they are $60.  I figure with this I could emulate all types of proprietary sticks like wizard of war, gyrus, and even use it for star wars.

Thoughts?

I cant link it from my phone but it pops up easily on amazon search.

ark_ader

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2019, 07:35:34 pm
  • I glow in the dark.
Re: Quimat analog arcade stick and controller $20?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2018, 04:36:05 am »
Reading the reviews, it looks like the stick degrades over a short period of time.  Better put that $20 towards the ultimarc 360.   :dizzy:

Or you can order it, experience crap, and then order the 360 and feel better about it.  >:D
If I had only one wish, it would be for three more wishes.

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 09:47:02 pm
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2018, 08:18:24 am »
Ordered one for teardown and review.

barrymossel

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 29, 2021, 11:25:52 am
  • Spectrum
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,157647.0.html
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2018, 08:53:11 am »
Or you can order it, experience crap, and then order the 360 and feel better about it.  >:D
That's what I normally do.

chrisdfw

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2018, 12:41:34 pm »
I ordered two at $20 each and it looks like another 5 sold shortly after my post on here and they raised the price to 23.

I got them same day.  Love amazon prime.

I wont have time to really test until Saturday.  Joystick feels fine and I like the no click feel of analog sticks.  Time will tell if it holds up.  I will try to open it and see if springs are replaceable.  The buttons it came with feel very cheap and are not concave but I didnt buy this for the buttons.  Cant wait to test analog stick movement to see how jumpy it moves the cursor.  Darn work getting in the way.

Everything came individually bagged and clean.

Mr. Peabody

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 05, 2019, 02:30:42 pm
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2018, 03:03:46 pm »
That's an interesting kit. The stick looks like it has pots. Maybe they're plastic. Trade or sell the buttons if you want concave.

chrisdfw

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2018, 04:29:45 pm »
Hard and rigid plastic body with metal top plate and metal stick with threaded ball top that screws on. Standard size arcade stick but bottom plastic box may be a little more compact but in a good way.  Very smooth analog stick reponse in windows joy.cpl .  mode button on emulator board switches the joystick from analog to 8 way hat switch.

Pots are small but metal. Dime sized but adequate. Cant seem to add a picture from my phone. Might try again later.

Edit - attached pic
« Last Edit: December 05, 2018, 04:42:38 pm by chrisdfw »

Mr. Peabody

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 05, 2019, 02:30:42 pm
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2018, 05:37:17 pm »
Looks good. Their Amazon listing picture is a 3D model. 3D all right. I'm curious to hear how it behaves.

chrisdfw

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2018, 01:42:32 pm »
Took it apart.  Will attach pic. The springs are small but easily replaceable if they dont hold up over time.

Played Star Wars after following the steps here:

https://forums.launchbox-app.com/topic/45762-star-wars-mame-flight-stick-guide-settings/

Especially do the part where you remove joystick from the movement controls and leave blank or keyboard.

This joystick moves the targeting cursor around the screen smooth as silk.  Very little jitter and any I had was probably my hand shaking more than innacurate pots.

I would love someone with a u360 stick to get one of these and compare.

pixel

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 24, 2019, 05:33:55 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2018, 08:08:05 pm »

It seems the Return to Center spring system is not very robust.

However, its not a dealbreaker.   The shaft is long enough,  that you devise a better center return system.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2018, 08:16:39 pm by pixel »

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2018, 08:15:55 pm »
Mounting plate is slightly wider then a Sanwa JLF plate.  Mounting holes are the same....mostly.  The center and corner holes are the same, but the other two are backwards.  The Quimat/SJ@JX plate is a mirror image, not identical.  It's like the countersink for the mounting screws were drilled on the wrong side.  The mounting pattern that holds the plate to the plastic joystick body is completely different, so "S plates" for JLFs will not work on these.

I orderd from Quimat, but my joystick says SJ@JX.  Seems to be another seller account on Amazon.
The little peg above the logo is the end of the guide for an axis.  Bothers me a little bit that it's so small, but all the real abuse should be handled by the ball and socket.

Pots have no markings.  They look like cheap pots to me, but who knows.  They are 4.4k Ohm (and some change).  They are limited deflection which means they cover their entire range over the throw of the joystick (which is good).  Center measured around 3k, but I was able to adjust it to 2.2k by  loosening the adjustment screw and moving the adjustment bracket.  The screw didn't feel like it had much bite going back in, so this isn't something you want to do more than once.

The wiring threw me at first because they used yellow for 5v (assumed 5v) and then switched to red to jumper it over to the other pot.  It appears to be set up as a standard voltage divider.  Power, ground, wiper, to each pot.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2018, 08:51:21 pm by BadMouth »

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2018, 08:16:11 pm »
Pivot point is a ball and socket.  Pots are actuated by a guide for each axis.
Notice that the side panels are slotted.  They slide out for disassembly.

Here's that little post.  It wouldn't have hurt to put some superlube on there while it was apart, but I was too lazy to run down to the workshop and get it.

The joystick shaft is either one piece or the ball is press fit.  I didn't clean off all the lube to find out.

It is captured between the joystick body and a top piece that's screwed down.  I thought it was interesting that there were washers in between, like maybe it was too tight of a fit and they had to add spacers.
I'm also curious as to why there is a notch cut out.  Perhaps it's for wiring for a trigger stick to pass through.

Thoughts:

Since it's working as a voltage divider, it should work with xbox360 pad hacks (although I am not guaranteeing it since the pots are 4.4k instead of 10k).  I don't feel like hacking a pad to find out yet.
It will definitely need the center of the pots adjusted.  Even if not hacking pots, it wouldn't hurt to adjust the center to 2.2k for the sake of having the same range in both directions.

Movement feels pretty good.  It's subtle, but you do feel more resistance when moving diagonally than in primary directions because you are pushing against two springs instead of one.  It's subtle and most people probably wouldn't notice, but it is there.  Happ got around this by having one single huge centering spring underneath the joystick body.  While the happ feels the same in all directions, it does a lousy job of actually recentering.  It doesn't bother me enough to keep them out of my cab.  (the fact that there isn't enough joystick shaft protruding underneath to add rotary might stop me, but the feel of the joystick movement won't).

One upside is no clicking switches.  I have optical switches in my cab, so I'd forgotten how loud the JLFs are until I dug one out of the spare parts bin to compare mounting plates.  Definitely a positive there. 

Overall it doesn't appear to be arcade duty,  but it was friggin' $23....with an analog encoder...and eleven buttons....and wiring!  For trying to hack arcade controls into analog gamepads, it's probably as good as it gets for less than $300.  How long they will last is still up in the air.  They are more hefty than the little Alps sticks I've used in the past.  They also don't have the crazy long throw of those.

I'll leave it to chrisdfw to comment on actual gameplay with it.  I have other projects that need to get done, so it will probably be after Christmas before I mess with it any more.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2018, 08:57:19 pm by BadMouth »

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2018, 09:15:59 pm »
OMG the buttons that came with this are horrible!
I'm talking angled joysticks bad.

ark_ader

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2019, 07:35:34 pm
  • I glow in the dark.
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2018, 12:12:37 am »
So has anyone broke it yet?
If I had only one wish, it would be for three more wishes.

chrisdfw

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2018, 03:46:32 pm »
Thanks for the very detailed teardown BadMouth!

What happ style concave buttons would anyone recommend for a wooden panel that would match the connectora on that quimat kit?  Its for my kids so I may use the cheap quimat onea but would prefer classic concave happ ones.  I dont want to re crimp connectors if I dont have to though.

Not sure what size connector this is.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 03:28:04 am
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2018, 06:08:41 pm »
Not sure what size connector this is.
Looks like standard 0.110" (2.8mm) Quick Disconnects.

What happ style concave buttons would anyone recommend for a wooden panel that would match the connectora on that quimat kit?  Its for my kids so I may use the cheap quimat onea but would prefer classic concave happ ones.  I dont want to re crimp connectors if I dont have to though.
If you want to use Happ-style buttons, GGG has Micro-Leaf switches.

You might also want to consider Ultimarc Goldleaf buttons.

Scott

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 03:28:04 am
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2018, 12:56:07 am »
Here's the orientation and wiring for the joystick pots.

Here's the pinout for the analog joystick connector.

The encoder is an "active low" device (the grounds are daisy-chained), not an "active high" device like the ZD encoder.   ;D

Scott

Brian74

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 10, 2024, 01:55:58 pm
  • Yep... I built that!!
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2018, 08:37:51 pm »
I got two of these a few months ago with the idea to make a geometry wars cp with them. They do work with xbox 360 pad hacks. 

chrisdfw

• Offline Offline

chrisdfw

• Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2019, 08:24:32 am »
Fully back in stock now at Amazon but they raised the price to $24.99.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_10?k=quimat+360+joystick&sprefix=quimat+360&crid=1J49DWKBHDC1K

I bought another 2.  I have just been testing one out in a thrown together panel for a total of maybe 4 hours of use by my kids but so far so good.

Has anyone else tried them for any length of time?

I love that the encoder board gives you 12 buttons, the analog x y, and 4 more inputs for hat switch up down left right that could be used as 4 more buttons if you can map to them.  That beats out the zero delay boards.  I wish they just offered the boards for sale but I cant find it anywhere.

Pit28

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 17, 2020, 10:01:51 pm
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2020, 04:31:57 pm »
Mounting plate is slightly wider then a Sanwa JLF plate.  Mounting holes are the same....mostly.  The center and corner holes are the same, but the other two are backwards.  The Quimat/SJ@JX plate is a mirror image, not identical.  It's like the countersink for the mounting screws were drilled on the wrong side.  The mounting pattern that holds the plate to the plastic joystick body is completely different, so "S plates" for JLFs will not work on these.

I orderd from Quimat, but my joystick says SJ@JX.  Seems to be another seller account on Amazon.
The little peg above the logo is the end of the guide for an axis.  Bothers me a little bit that it's so small, but all the real abuse should be handled by the ball and socket.

Pots have no markings.  They look like cheap pots to me, but who knows.  They are 4.4k Ohm (and some change).  They are limited deflection which means they cover their entire range over the throw of the joystick (which is good).  Center measured around 3k, but I was able to adjust it to 2.2k by  loosening the adjustment screw and moving the adjustment bracket.  The screw didn't feel like it had much bite going back in, so this isn't something you want to do more than once.

The wiring threw me at first because they used yellow for 5v (assumed 5v) and then switched to red to jumper it over to the other pot.  It appears to be set up as a standard voltage divider.  Power, ground, wiper, to each pot.

Just bought one of these from amazon and wondered if it was legit. So glad i registered today here and saw your post.

I know it's been a while...but would you still say this was worth it ( this is for an arcade im building for my young nephew ). How long did it last before you had to fix/replace it?

Thanks! 8)

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2020, 07:14:12 pm »
I haven't done anything with it since taking those pictures.  ;D
Just another cool part in the parts bin.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 05:29:33 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2020, 02:24:39 am »
I'm glad I'm not the only one that does that.  I have parts sitting in boxes old enough to drive.   :cheers:

Pit28

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 17, 2020, 10:01:51 pm
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2020, 11:06:29 am »
I haven't done anything with it since taking those pictures.  ;D
Just another cool part in the parts bin.

Well darn, lol. That's all of us though. I have loads of parts lol.

Still though, just the detail you went into with this post has helped me out. Now i don't have to pop them open myself ( although im wondering if i will anyway...just to lube these puppies up a bit more for just in case 8) ).

Im doing lil cheap arcade table top units with Pi4's inside...and these are going to be the sticks.

mahuti

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2022, 09:51:19 pm
  • I dare anything! I am Skeletor!
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2020, 07:49:08 pm »
I'd never heard of these before. Interesting. Last time I bought something interesting and cheap, it was the ZD encoders, which I've been completely unimpressed about, so I'm once bitten twice shy  ;D

I have parts sitting in boxes old enough to drive.

I have absolutely no need of these and a box of other joysticks (including unused U360s... sadly) yet... I still want to try one. Sigh. Maybe I'll finish the other 300 projects I have going first.
Raspberry Pi, AttractMode, and Skeletor enthusiast.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2020, 11:00:12 pm »
Well back in the day when arcade parts could be got for a song I would buy lots for parts on ebay.  I might need one specific stick and it'd come with twelve other things.  It's kind of worth money now so I hate to get rid of it.  I've got data east sticks, wico sticks pulled off a tmnt, a donkey kong joystick, some football/baseball controllers and all kinds of weird stuff.  I really want to build a Nintendo cab one day, which is odd because I hate nintendo arcade games.  A data east multi-game would be cool as well. 

mahuti

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2022, 09:51:19 pm
  • I dare anything! I am Skeletor!
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2020, 11:42:50 pm »
I've been sitting on a Spy Hunter 2 yoke(which can pretty easily be converted for spy hunter 1) Space Encounters push/pull yoke, wico sticks, 49 ways, rotaries, etc. I'm kinda surprised I don't have a 720 controlloer or a Major Havoc one. Hah hah.
Raspberry Pi, AttractMode, and Skeletor enthusiast.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2020, 01:30:07 am »
I bought my first rotary a couple of months ago.  I intend to build a cabinet or at least a bartop around some rotary sticks but I just don't have the time though.  I'd love to get ahold of a star wars yoke and make molds of some of the funkier parts so an inexpensive DIY kit could be made.