Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Ground Wire + Techflex??  (Read 926 times)

newoski

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 26, 2021, 07:44:50 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Ground Wire + Techflex??
« on: August 15, 2020, 05:16:22 pm »
When using techflex, I completely understand how to run my individual button wires back to my board, but I'm 100% confused about the ground wire. Are people somehow building Daisy chains within a single strip of techflex? Or are they just running a bunch of individual wires back to the board's Ground terminal? Please help. So confused!
« Last Edit: August 15, 2020, 05:18:05 pm by newoski »

mahuti

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2022, 09:51:19 pm
  • I dare anything! I am Skeletor!
Re: Ground Wire + Techflex??
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2020, 06:32:40 pm »
If you're using something like an Ultimarc I-Pac or GGG GP-Wiz all you would need is one single ground wire back to the encoder. Then you could daisy chain the ground wires from one switch ground to the next.  If you want the wires predominately wrapped within techflex tube, you could use a hot knife to cut holes in and out of the tube but meh... it'd look worse than just daisy chaining in my opinion and not be any more stable.

If you're using a zero-delay encoder however, you'd have to run one ground wire per button, no daisy chaining on those.

Personally, to dress my wiring I use zip ties and the occasional heat-shrink tube on groups of wires with higher potential stress. Cheap and easy to cut apart and replace for easy access later. I use about 2-5 Zip ties per foot, which works out to maybe $.04 per foot. Techflex is more like $.25 per foot. Not a big price difference, but frankly I don't think it's as easy to work with as zip ties and a few screw down cable clamps.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2020, 06:35:57 pm by mahuti »
Raspberry Pi, AttractMode, and Skeletor enthusiast.

CitznFish

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 26, 2023, 12:36:44 pm
  • www.subvertcity.com - Prof. Strength Slackwear
Re: Ground Wire + Techflex??
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2020, 01:43:02 am »
Good cable management is Zen